Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Giannis Antentokounmpo is awarded the NBA Defensive Player of the Year. Anthony Davis placed second in the voting, with Rudy Gobert coming in third. Rounding out the top four was Houston's James Harden.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-26-2020 at 12:13 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Weird league now, hard to really quantify the defensive studs since those guys kinda got played out of rotations. I don't have an issue with Giannis winning it, but he's not the best defensive player in the league and I don't think it's close. But with how they play the game now it's whatever.

I'd give it to the Raptors team defensive rotations and box outs but that isn't a person lol

Raps' D is the best, but Giannis is the most disruptive, IMO.

Harden's defensive rating this year is 105. Davis' is 102. Gobert's is 104.

Giannis's is 97. (Led the league.)

Two more teams have a chance at moving on tonight: Milwaukee and the Lakers.

Houston - OKC will be the most interesting. That series is tied up currently.

Okay. Okay. Harden didn't finish 4th. I just wanted to see if anyone was gonna call that out.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-26-2020),RichRed (08-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Okay. Okay. Harden didn't finish 4th. I just wanted to see if anyone was gonna call that out.
    It sounded crazy enough to be true.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-26-2020)

I haven't watched a full game since the season resumed, mainly because my Cav's were excluded. Interestingly though I'm not alone.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...going-down-why

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Pacers fire Nate McMillan.

WTH? This is an outrage.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Indiana will be interesting going forward.

Will Oladipo return to form?

Why does Sabonis want out?

How long until Goga wins an MVP?

Not sure firing McMillan helps or fixes anything. In fact, depending on the hire, I suspect they'll take a step back next year. He's an exceedingly competent coach and does a great job getting buy-in on the defensive side. Haven't followed him particularly closely since he left Portland, but he was pretty unimaginative offensively, which always limited his teams. Having McMillan as your coach is like a guarantee that you'll land between the No. 3 and 8 seeds. You'll always be competitive, but you'll never be a true threat.

Given that Pritchard and Buchanan are exceedingly familiar with McMillan, I suppose you can't say they didn't give him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I haven't watched a full game since the season resumed, mainly because my Cav's were excluded. Interestingly though I'm not alone.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...going-down-why
    Just a guess, but they're probably catching as many eyeballs as they ever have with a younger audience supplanting an older audience. The ratings just aren't catching how the games are being watched.

Also, after watching the Cavs this season, aren't you at least mildly interested in watching functional teams play? There's some really good basketball going on.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Pacers fire Nate McMillan.

WTH? This is an outrage.
    I get the disappointment of the sweep, but that seems like an overreaction when McMillan has managed through almost constant change and been hit with major injuries during the playoffs. I'm not sure much of anyone could have done better with the hand he's been dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Indiana will be interesting going forward.

Will Oladipo return to form?

Why does Sabonis want out?

How long until Goga wins an MVP?

Not sure firing McMillan helps or fixes anything. In fact, depending on the hire, I suspect they'll take a step back next year. He's an exceedingly competent coach and does a great job getting buy-in on the defensive side. Haven't followed him particularly closely since he left Portland, but he was pretty unimaginative offensively, which always limited his teams. Having McMillan as your coach is like a guarantee that you'll land between the No. 3 and 8 seeds. You'll always be competitive, but you'll never be a true threat.

Given that Pritchard and Buchanan are exceedingly familiar with McMillan, I suppose you can't say they didn't give him a chance.
    McMillan's Portland tenure is largely irrelevant at this point. Different NBA landscape; Pre pace-and-space. Speculation abounds, but whispers of one or two Pacer's stars (Sabonis?) indicating to management that they wanted to change, and or a mandate by Management to change assistants may have led to this decision.

FWIW, Woj tweeted that D'Antoni is the Pacers target. But Houston isn't firing him unless they lose in the first round.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-26-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get the disappointment of the sweep, but that seems like an overreaction when McMillan has managed through almost constant change and been hit with major injuries during the playoffs. I'm not sure much of anyone could have done better with the hand he's been dealt.
    Exactly. Sabonis and Oladipo didn't develop into stars on their own. And Warren began playing defense under Nate's tutelage. This is a curious decision, even though Pritchard has proven that he knows what the hell he's doing.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-26-2020 at 02:26 PM.

18. Likes:

M2 (08-26-2020)

McMillan's Portland tenure is largely irrelevant at this point. Different NBA landscape; Pre pace-and-space. Speculation abounds, but whispers of one or two Pacer's stars (Sabonis?) indicating to management that they wanted to change, and or a mandate by Management to change assistants may have led to this decision.

FWIW, Woj tweeted that D'Antoni is the Pacers target. But Houston isn't allowing him to go unless they lose in the first round.
    No doubt you've got a better sense of the Pacers than I do, but in his four years with the Pacers rankings:

• 19-20: 19 oRtg, 21 pace
    • 18-19: 18 oRtg, 24 pace
    • 17-18: 11 oRtg, 23 pace
    • 16-17: 15 oRtg, 18 pace

Certainly not terrible figures, but those match the criticisms in Portland, particularly the pace.

D'Antoni would certainly be in interesting hire.

FWIW, Woj tweeted that D'Antoni is the Pacers target. But Houston isn't allowing him to go unless they lose in the first round.
    That's fascinating. Houston's owner might be going broke, causing D'Antoni, Morey and possibly Harden to jump ship. There's been rumblings, so it's not shocking news, but can they compartmentalize that for this run in the playoffs?

Turn Off Ads?