Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: "Lose For Crews"

Re: "Lose For Crews"

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly. It feeds into the shell game teams like the Reds and Pirates play. "We're getting some top picks and we'll compete in 3 years." Every year it just gets pushed out another couple of years, but they sell this to keep the fan base engaged. Trying to win would be a better way to keep the fans engaged IMO.
    Not an accurate description at all. The Reds payroll has been more than double the Pirates for the entirety of the recent past - including this year. The Reds tried with Moose, Gray, Suarez, Bauer. The Reds held onto their signature star with a contract nearing his age 40 season. The Reds even got to the playoffs.

Now, as we know the whole project was a failure. And the Reds are deep in tank and prospect mode. But their path to get there is not remotely similar to the Pirates.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-27-2022),RedTeamGo! (09-28-2022),Revering4Blue (09-27-2022),Ron Madden (09-27-2022),Roy Tucker (09-27-2022),westofyou (09-27-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Not an accurate description at all. The Reds payroll has been more than double the Pirates for the entirety of the recent past - including this year. The Reds tried with Moose, Gray, Suarez, Bauer. The Reds held onto their signature star with a contract nearing his age 40 season. The Reds even got to the playoffs.

Now, as we know the whole project was a failure. And the Reds are deep in tank and prospect mode. But their path to get there is not remotely similar to the Pirates.
    At the end of the day, they are cheap while promising a future that never comes. They sell false hope to the fanbase while they rake in the money other teams are giving them to try to compete. So they snuck into the expanded playoffs in the Covid year. Not the least bit impressed with that. They were never willing to do what it takes to be a serious contender. They go chintzy on the bullpen or chintzy on the bench and undermine their own efforts even when they do half-try. The Reds are a lot more like the Pirates than they are like a contender or a serious baseball team.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-27-2022),Mutaman (09-28-2022),REDREAD (09-27-2022),Redsfan6272 (10-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    And the Reds are deep in tank and prospect mode. But their path to get there is not remotely similar to the Pirates.
    I guess we will see moving forward, as ownership has seen the Pirates making big profits while not spending any money. Reds have zero in guaranteed contracts after next year.

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-27-2022),REDREAD (09-27-2022)

This is a fun team with a really bright future over the next 3 years lmao.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

9. Likes:

REDREAD (09-27-2022)

My prediction is that the Reds will lose enough to get one of the final 3 spots with the best odds for the first pick, then get the 8th pick via the lottery, then pick a player who ends up having a much more productive career than Crews.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    MLB is one of the worst offenders in terms of the prospect build-up game. In the NBA and NFL, there are no minor leagues for the higher level prospects. The better players go directly to the big team. They’re expected to contribute within a couple of years. There isn’t much time for a build up.

In baseball, players spend years in the minors leading to all kinds of analysis, speculation, projection. With a prolonged waiting period, teams can ask fans to wait, and trumpet these kids, for a longer period.

There’s nothing wrong with good prospects, they’re essential, but they aren’t a substitute for a competitive MLB team.
    That’s not really true about NBA. Teams tank all the time. Instead of collecting prospects they collect draft picks. Sometimes 5 years in the future.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Crews and Dollander are Top 2 on my draft wish list, but if the Reds aren't "Lottery Lucky," my third choice might be Vandy CF Enrique Bradfield. Looks to grade 80 For Speed. 60 For Hitting & Defense and 50 for Arm & Power. Would like to see the Reds stay away from High Schoolers in the 1st Rd. in favor of college guys who might move faster through the system and it seems like Bradfield might fit the description. Would like more power, but an elite CF/leadoff would be sweet too.

Reds playing right now like they just got a glowing scouting report on Crews
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds playing right now like they just got a glowing scouting report on Crews
    Yeah, but the lineup has deteriorated as the season has wound down. Lot of injured guys not playing. Lot of younger players in there.

But we’re in a phase when the draft lottery and draft day will likely be two of the main highlights of 2023. At least we’ll have that.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-28-2022)

We're probably not gonna catch the Nats (53 wins, 8 games to go) or A's (56 wins, 8), but it's a 4-way race between the Pirates (59, 6), Reds (60, 6), Tigers (61, 9), and Royals (63, 8) for that coveted ~1/6 shot at the 1st pick. It looks quite unlikely we'd fall any further than 5th, which is still a 1 in 10.

On the other hand, I had to run the simulation 18 times before we got #1, so, as a person with a MS in analytics, I can assure you that its basically impossible.......

https://www.tankathon.com/mlb
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    We're probably not gonna catch the Nats (53 wins, 8 games to go) or A's (56 wins, 8), but it's a 4-way race between the Pirates (59, 6), Reds (60, 6), Tigers (61, 9), and Royals (63, 8) for that coveted ~1/6 shot at the 1st pick. It looks quite unlikely we'd fall any further than 5th, which is still a 1 in 10.

On the other hand, I had to run the simulation 18 times before we got #1, so, as a person with a MS in analytics, I can assure you that its basically impossible.......

https://www.tankathon.com/mlb
    I truly hope in my heart that the Reds get the lowest/worst draft position possible, because it is exactly what this club deserves.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-28-2022),REDREAD (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I truly hope in my heart that the Reds get the lowest/worst draft position possible, because it is exactly what this club deserves.
    Without a doubt. I wish nothing but frustration for any effort to game the system.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

22. Likes:

Big Klu (09-28-2022),REDREAD (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Without a doubt. I wish nothing but frustration for any effort to game the system.
    I don’t think the Reds are attempting to game the system right now. They just suck.

24. Likes:

757690 (09-28-2022),Mutaman (09-28-2022),REDREAD (09-28-2022),Revering4Blue (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t think the Reds are attempting to game the system right now. They just suck.
    Bob and his boy Phil are attempting to game the system - but its not for draft picks. Its to pocket the money paid by other owners and fans dumb enough to buy tickets for the chance to watch a bunch of minor leaguers lose.
    Where we gonna go?

26. Likes:

corkedbat (10-04-2022),REDREAD (09-28-2022),Redsfan6272 (10-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Bob and his boy Phil are attempting to game the system - but its not for draft picks. Its to pocket the money paid by other owners and fans dumb enough to buy tickets for the chance to watch a bunch of minor leaguers lose.
    Well yeah I agree with the late stage capitalism aspect, but I don’t think the Reds are intentionally losing for Crews.

28. Likes:

REDREAD (09-28-2022)

Turn Off Ads?