Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft:

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft:

Guy looked like he had potential to be useful.

Problem is, useful players can quickly turn into expensive players.

Great move by the FO. They found a player who might be useful and fired him into the sun in exchange for a few slightly used t-shirts (color and sleeve length to be named later) and some money.

I hate reds baseball.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Did The reds lose anyone?
    Just their fans.

In all seriousness, Sabol is an intriguing pickup. Close enough to the MLB level that they should be able keep him.
    Last edited by klw; 12-07-2022 at 08:38 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Rule 5 is EXACTLY the way to try and supplement with someone that could bring value for multiple years... and they probably trade it for another guy 4+ years away when we're starting "Rebuild pt 3" cause we wait too long and "can't afford" to keep our rotation (and assuming they all turn into what we hope).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

5. Likes:

Wayne Krivsky (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Just their fans.

In all seriousness, he is an intriguing pickup. Close enough to the MLB level that they should be able keep him.
    Oh man have I got some bad news for you….

7. Likes:

Kc61 (12-07-2022),klw (12-07-2022),malcontent (12-08-2022),NC Reds (12-07-2022)

It’s a prearranged deal. Could simply be they are getting a lower level prospect that doesn’t need 40 man protection based on whether this guy sticks with the team or not.

Reds mgmt is brutal, but this is such a nothing thing to whine about when we don’t know the context and these small deals happen all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-07-2022),mth123 (12-07-2022),Old school 1983 (12-07-2022),texasdave (12-08-2022)

So just to recap the 2023 Winter Meetings:

- Signed a backup catcher who cant hit .200, but he's local. So that's cool.

- The front office admitted they're largely going to sit this season out financially.

- They drop four spots in the draft.

- They have an opportunity to acquire cheap young talent, but choose to sell their spot instead.

That might be as poor an off-season as any team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

- The front office admitted they're largely going to sit this season out financially.

- They have an opportunity to acquire cheap young talent, but choose to sell their spot instead.

Tough to leave fans more pessimistic than last offseason, but somehow the reds are doing it. It’s so bad it’s sort of impressive.

12. Likes:

Benihana (12-08-2022),malcontent (12-08-2022),NDRed (12-07-2022)

You forgot Krall "talked to a bunch of teams, talked to agents. Talked to people all day."

14. Likes:

malcontent (12-08-2022),NC Reds (12-07-2022),RedTeamGo! (12-07-2022)

A little perspective here. This was a guy that wasn't good enough to claim a roster spot on the Pirates. The Pirates, a team so devoid of talent that they are brought up as the comparison for all cheap and tanking teams. If he couldn't manage a 40 man roster spot with the Pirates, I question whether this is worth worrying about.

This is what this team's tanking and fire sale ways have done to us. We look to the left-over pile as a method of upgrading and are outraged when the Reds don't pick-up a leftover. This team has enough left-overs already. I'm mad as hell that they aren't aiming higher, but not really all that outraged about this.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

757690 (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A little perspective here. This was a guy that wasn't good enough to claim a roster spot on the Pirates. The Pirates, a team so devoid of talent that they are brought up as the comparison for all cheap and tanking teams. If he couldn't manage a 40 man roster spot with the Pirates, I question whether this is worth worrying about.

This is what this team's tanking and fire sale ways have done to us. We look to the left-over pile as a method of upgrading and are outraged when the Reds don't pick-up a leftover. This team has enough left-overs already. I'm mad as hell that they aren't aiming higher, but not really all that outraged about this.
    The Pirates project as better than the Reds this season by a pretty significant margin. Their leftovers are likely better than Cincinnati's.

The Pirates project as better than the Reds this season by a pretty significant margin. Their leftovers are likely better than Cincinnati's.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm outraged that there are left-overs out there that actually look like an improvement, but its not because i want more left-overs, I'm just mad that the team is in such a state that this guy feels like a lost opportunity. It should be something we don't care about because the team has actual big-league talent instead.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

You’re right, the issue isn’t trading the rule 5 pick…the issue is the rule 5 pick was the highlight of the biggest offseason week of the year, and then the Reds traded him. Oh wait we signed a defense first backup C to help avoid 100 loses.

20. Likes:

757690 (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    You’re right, the issue isn’t trading the rule 5 pick…the issue is the rule 5 pick was the highlight of the biggest offseason week of the year, and then the Reds traded him. Oh wait we signed a defense first backup C to help avoid 100 loses.
    Maybe the decided they needed to clear that roster spot for the upcoming Carlos Rodon signing.

22. Likes:

malcontent (12-08-2022),Wayne Krivsky (12-07-2022)

The wager here is that Sabol really isn't good enough to stick on your 26 man roster this year, so you move him for somebody who might contribute down the road but whom you don't have to carry this year. If you are going to keep Sabol on the roster, you're going to take MLB at-bats and opportunity from one of your position players. Who should that be? And don't say Moustakas, because it aint happening. Bad as they are at it, they're going to want to sign another FA sometime in the future. Since the worst player with some chance to make the roster is Barrero, keeping Sabol probably comes at his expense.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    The wager here is that Sabol really isn't good enough to stick on your 26 man roster this year, so you move him for somebody who might contribute down the road but whom you don't have to carry this year. If you are going to keep Sabol on the roster, you're going to take MLB at-bats and opportunity from one of your position players. Who should that be? And don't say Moustakas, because it aint happening. Bad as they are at it, they're going to want to sign another FA sometime in the future. Since the worst player with some chance to make the roster is Barrero, keeping Sabol probably comes at his expense.
    You are forgetting Nick Senzel. Barrero is better than him. He can play SS - which Senzel can't do - and from what I've seen is a better defender in CF. Neither guy can hit, but Senzel is older and has used up a lot more of his opportunities than Barrero has. I have more hope that Barrero figures it out at the plate than I do Senzel. Senzel had enough time to show he can't play and he is the guy I'd cut loose for even a marginal position player improvement.

Turn Off Ads?