Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: Cliff Lee

Re: Cliff Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    MLBTR has a link up saying that the Mariners are demanding a major league ready stud catcher. You know what I draw the line at Devin Mesoraco. He stays.

I will not give him up for a rental. Haren, Greinke, even Oswalt yeah I think about it. But not for a rental. Catchers putting up a .950 OPS stay.
    I don't really believe the rhetoric that is flying fast and furiously from major league FOs. We're seeing a lot of posturing through leaks that are basically playing local beat guys...

It's not likely that the Ms are demanding a "stud young catcher" for 2 months of Lee. It's not likely the Ms mentioned Votto's name in a trade for Lee. Seriously.

I think we should be extremely skeptical of the click generators on this issue and just patiently wait for what actually goes down which will probably be something less than a Ramos/Hicks haul. If the Twins really had offered Ramos/Slowey, the Ms would've likely been all over it.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Why?

He's a second round draft pick. Lefty who can hit 90. Has a 8.4 K/9 rate and .7 HR/9 rate in the minors. His only issue has been control, and he seems to have started to get a handle on it. If he threw mid to low 80's, or didn't have an out pitch, that would be different.

Who knows what he will turn out to be, but I think his ceiling would be a solid #2, actually.
    He is kinda like another version of Maloney. His stuff is less than stuffiferous.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He is kinda like another version of Maloney. His stuff is less than stuffiferous.
    Have to take the other side of this assessment. Wood throws harder, shows himself able to get strikes on both sides of the plate, has a better change than Maloney, I'd guess a better cutter ("guess" because I haven't seen Maloney's new found one yet). I also like Wood's motion, very simple and repeatable; I see no apparent injury threat in it. In fact, if there's a pitcher he reminds me of a lot it's Cliff Lee.

Yup. Wood's been sitting at 90-92 and touched 94 in his call-up. He has a cutter that is an out-pitch to righties.

He sure looks legit to me. With a nice minor league track record to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yup. Wood's been sitting at 90-92 and touched 94 in his call-up. He has a cutter that is an out-pitch to righties.

He sure looks legit to me. With a nice minor league track record to boot.

Agree. This is why I think trading him will come to seem a big mistake--as will trading Alonso, which I pray does not happen.

His stuff is a full notch above Maloney's. Similar numbers in the minors, but not similar stuff.

Wood has much more movement on his pitches, and throws harder. In fact, a better comp for him is a lefty Leake with less control. Maloney is like a lefty Lehr.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

If I was an M's fan, I'd be downplaying him to Reds fans too.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

He routinely hit 92 mph against the Cubs while flashing a great cutter and plus changeup. If he continues to throw strikes like he has the last year then I see no reason why he can't be a #2/3 starter. His stuff is much better than Maloney's.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-08-2010 at 12:03 AM.

No one has posted this yet? This is fairly big news. Jon Morosi says the Reds are motivated to acquire Lee and have begun exchanging names with the Mariners:

One year after the Indians dealt him to the Phillies, the other team in Ohio would like to acquire Cliff Lee.

A number of people in the industry say the Cincinnati Reds are motivated to get Lee – and have the prospects to entice the Mariners.

Cincinnati has become a “sleeper” team in the Lee sweepstakes, one rival general manager said Wednesday. A separate source said the teams have exchanged names “in preliminary fashion” but have yet to discuss firm proposals.
    Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik was fond of Alonso leading up to the 2008 draft, when the Reds selected him in the first round. After a disappointing June, Alonso is batting .379 with three home runs in his first seven games of July.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...om-July-070110
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-08-2010 at 12:08 AM.

This is starting to have a very "Aroldis Chapman" feel to it.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    This is starting to have a very "Aroldis Chapman" feel to it.
    Yes indeed. This thread is getting pretty long. Is it OK to start another thread with this latest bit on info?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yes indeed. This thread is getting pretty long. Is it OK to start another thread with this latest bit on info?
    Yeah I think it's worth it. Go forth and spread the word, OBM.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Yeah I think it's worth it. Go forth and spread the word, OBM.
    Thanks.

In light of the new thread/info, I'm going to close this one out. Feel free to continue this discussion there.

Turn Off Ads?