Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If that happened, you should get upset. But that is not what is being discussed.

As I said, if common sense is used, there will be no problem. Here in LA, we are required to wear masks in public. It only enforced in extreme situations, crowded areas when people refuse to wear one after being told to wear one. It is not a problem here at all.

If the police see someone without a mask in public, around a crowd, they tell them to wear a mask. They only do something if that person refuses and makes a scene. No kids are even considered for this rule.

Common sense. It’s not that hard to do with common sense.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-22-2020),RiverRat13 (09-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

if (inside || outside < sixFeet) {
    return "wear the stupid mask"
    else "all good, no need for a mask!"

Welp, that sure was a challenge. I'll be billing for 3 hours @ 500/hr for this.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    OK, let’s suppose the governor did announce a mandate for masks in outdoor public places. And he won’t, but let’s say he did. Describe a scenario when a cop would come up and start issuing tickets. The lawyers are going to have a field day. “ So, my client was issued a ticket for sitting on a bench without a mask, but 10 feet away there was an entire patio of people where nobody was wearing a mask. Why exactly is he a public threat?”

There is all kinds of low hanging fruit that we aren’t even trying to address. Places like Kroger and Walmart actually do a pretty good job with mask policies, and compliance is in the high 90%. But from what I see of convenience stores like Speedway, compliance is under 10%. Not even the employees are wearing masks. But the type of people that manage convenience stores don’t have the technical skills to even create a mask policy, so the only thing that would help would be to issue citations to the business. Before they start targeting individuals, let’s go after some of the obvious violators. I guarantee if a few local stores were shut down for a week for code violations, corporate would come down on them like a ton of bricks.
    Targeting the businesses would help, but that would just put more people out of work while they are shut down. I like the idea, but I can hear several people on here whining how the government is putting people out of work. it also puts the employees in a bad position. When the employee asks some one to put their mask on or leave, there will be violent reactions (we've already seen it). So when somebody refuses, the business gets shut down? The employee gets beat-up for trying to enforce it or fired for not trying? Tht's why I think it should be law enforcement, but I know it's not realistic and that they can't be everywhere. Still, a lot more drunk drivers are out there than actually get caught, but the ones who are caught are punished and many others don't do it because they don't want to be next.

I think what we're finding is that the situation sucks and there isn't an answer other than getting rid of the virus.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Citizens arrest!" Oh, the joys of having grown up with a dad who continually watched Andy Griffith Show reruns.

7. Likes:

westofyou (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't like it either, but the alternatives are

1. Let it run wild and watch the numbers rise
    2. Regulate activities to prevent people from getting together similar to what is happening now.

Number 2 is what people in this thread are supposedly objecting to today. Number 1 is just writing certain people off. Don't know about you, but it seems pretty immoral to me.
    Except right now it’s not running wild. And it’s not doing so with many more people out and about than during the lockdown.

9. Likes:

Rojo (09-23-2020)

Again I ask the lockdown supporters: what if in July of 2021 there’s no vaccine and numbers—infection/death—similar to now with formal UE at 15% (U6 at say 22%) and no stimulus (Senate holds at 51 Republicans)?

You wouldn’t instruct news sites to quit with the hyperbole and lying about numbers rising when they’re not? I’m thinking that after Biden is inaugurated the news will dial it back a lot and start reporting it much straighter, with fewer panic chyrons.

11. Likes:

Rojo (09-23-2020)

Let's be judicious with discussing the political implications within this thread. Just about anything directly discussing the virus is fine here, but the political fallout should be reserved for the sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Again I ask the lockdown supporters: what if in July of 2021 there’s no vaccine and numbers—infection/death—similar to now with formal UE at 15% (U6 at say 22%) and no stimulus (Senate holds at 51 Republicans)?

You wouldn’t instruct news sites to quit with the hyperbole and lying about numbers rising when they’re not? I’m thinking that after Biden is inaugurated the news will dial it back a lot and start reporting it much straighter, with fewer panic chyrons.
    What news sites are lying about rising numbers?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Targeting the businesses would help, but that would just put more people out of work while they are shut down. I like the idea, but I can hear several people on here whining how the government is putting people out of work. it also puts the employees in a bad position. When the employee asks some one to put their mask on or leave, there will be violent reactions (we've already seen it). So when somebody refuses, the business gets shut down? The employee gets beat-up for trying to enforce it or fired for not trying? Tht's why I think it should be law enforcement, but I know it's not realistic and that they can't be everywhere. Still, a lot more drunk drivers are out there than actually get caught, but the ones who are caught are punished and many others don't do it because they don't want to be next.

I think what we're finding is that the situation sucks and there isn't an answer other than getting rid of the virus.
    It wouldn’t cost jobs, because the minute I hit a businesses bottom line, they would fix the problem internally. It isn’t difficult- even a guy who runs a Speedway knows the governor mandated that businesses require masks for customers and employees to cover the nose and mouth. Period. But they aren’t sophisticated enough to care, because if they were, they wouldn’t be working at Speedway. So once it hits them in the pocketbook, corporate will hit them over the head with a hammer. That’ll get the job done and they’ll wear their masks. Heck, in the last three weeks, I have seen a UPS driver bring in packages at the local speedway, and even he didn’t wear a mask.

So no, we are not going to find individuals. It’s crazy to even think that’s an option.

And honestly, where are all these crowds in outdoor public places where anybody would have to be careful anyway? There are no sports, no concerts, no plays, nothing. I mean, South Dayton isn’t exactly Appalachia, and the most crowded places I can think of haven’t been crowded at all. People go out, head to a patio for a bite to eat or listen to some music, and that’s it. There are no other places to congregate.

It wouldn’t cost jobs, because the minute I hit a businesses bottom line, they would fix the problem internally. It isn’t difficult- even a guy who runs a Speedway knows the governor mandated that businesses require masks for customers and employees to cover the nose and mouth. Period. But they aren’t sophisticated enough to care, because if they were, they wouldn’t be working at Speedway. So once it hits them in the pocketbook, corporate will hit them over the head with a hammer. That’ll get the job done and they’ll wear their masks. Heck, in the last three weeks, I have seen a UPS driver bring in packages at the local speedway, and even he didn’t wear a mask.

So no, we are not going to find individuals. It’s crazy to even think that’s an option.

And honestly, where are all these crowds in outdoor public places where anybody would have to be careful anyway? There are no sports, no concerts, no plays, nothing. I mean, South Dayton isn’t exactly Appalachia, and the most crowded places I can think of haven’t been crowded at all. People go out, head to a patio for a bite to eat or listen to some music, and that’s it. There are no other places to congregate.
    There probably aren't any places in Dayton. I live in a small town as well and there aren't many. But a lot of people are in outdoor settings every day where they are in a crowd of people. Cross a street in a major metro downtown area, waiting for a bus, going in or out of the subway station, etc.

This week-end there was a classic car show in the town where I live. A City street was blocked off and people were all crammed in there looking at the cars. They weren't six feet apart and less than half had masks on. I walked down there just for the exercise and was shocked at so many people when I arrived. I just walked right past that area to avoid the crowd and went to the nearly empty city park down the street instead to finish my walk. I'd guess those types of scenes repeat themselves every day throughout the US.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

There probably aren't any places in Dayton. I live in a small town as well and there aren't many. But a lot of people are in outdoor settings every day where they are in a crowd of people. Cross a street in a major metro downtown area, waiting for a bus, going in or out of the subway station, etc.

This week-end there was a classic car show in the town where I live. A City street was blocked off and people were all crammed in there looking at the cars. They weren't six feet apart and less than half had masks on. I walked down there just for the exercise and was shocked at so many people when I arrived. I just walked right past that area to avoid the crowd and went to the nearly empty city park down the street instead to finish my walk. I'd guess those types of scenes repeat themselves every day throughout the US.
    Sure, if you live in a major metro where there are subways, the whole dynamic changes. I assumed this discussion was in the context of Ohio, and no way are we going to start issuing citations to private citizens.

And it’s easy to avoid situations like you saw by just not going there, as you did. And even then, they were outside. I doubt the risk there was any different than the risk of the patio I’m sitting at right now this very moment.

Sure, if you live in a major metro where there are subways, the whole dynamic changes. I assumed this discussion was in the context of Ohio, and no way are we going to start issuing citations to private citizens.

And it’s easy to avoid situations like you saw by just not going there, as you did. And even then, they were outside. I doubt the risk there was any different than the risk of the patio I’m sitting at right now this very moment.
    There are plenty of places in Ohio, even in Dayton, where there are crowds of people gathered less than six feet away from each other where mask wearing would be essential. In Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus, they are all over the place.

There are plenty of places in Ohio, even in Dayton, where there are crowds of people gathered less than six feet away from each other where mask wearing would be essential. In Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus, they are all over the place.
    Hmm, I didn’t know you lived here. Where are they?

Hmm, I didn’t know you lived here. Where are they?
    Bus stops for one, any busy intersection, parks, any stretch of restaurants/bars/nightlife. You said these places are packed, which means heavy foot traffic around them. Any place where you have to wait outside to get into, people are supposed to stay six feet away, but that doesn’t always happen.

Definitely fewer places in Dayton, but any city will have them.

Bus stops for one, any busy intersection, parks, any stretch of restaurants/bars/nightlife. You said these places are packed, which means heavy foot traffic around them. Any place where you have to wait outside to get into, people are supposed to stay six feet away, but that doesn’t always happen.

Definitely fewer places in Dayton, but any city will have them.
    As usual, you have no idea what you’re talking about. Parks are not congested. I haven’t taken a bus in 40 years, but I don’t see congested bus stops either. Restaurants and bars and patios are packed, but they are not walk up. There aren’t crowds of people trying to get in. People drive in, get out of their cars, go in, and sit down. At the same time somebody else is finishing up, and leaving.

Again, I live here, I get out, and I don’t see crowds anywhere, and I don’t see any place where it be difficult to avoid people.

Turn Off Ads?