Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    >% who know someone with Covid symptoms
    >% wearing masks in public most or all the time

I'm not doubting your sourcing, I'd just add that this is a stupid chart and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

Covid is serious on both ends. People are dying and people are losing their livelihoods. Charts about who knows someone who might have covid symptoms is bad info that just shouldn't be shared. It serves no purpose other than to push a narrative.
    The source is Delphi COVIDCast, Carnegie Melon University, which has been providing valuable and useful data and information since the pandemic started, that nearly every media site has been using as a primary source on this pandemic. This particular chart was printed by the Washington Post.

Here is there website: https://covidcast.cmu.edu/?sensor=do...w&region=42003

It’s a serious chart and should be taken seriously.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The source is Delphi COVIDCast, Carnegie Melon University, which has been providing valuable and useful data and information since the pandemic started, that nearly every media site has been using as a primary source on this pandemic. This particular chart was printed by the Washington Post.

Here is there website: https://covidcast.cmu.edu/?sensor=do...view®ion=42003

It’s a serious chart and should be taken seriously.
    You can quote the Pope himself for all I care. I will never take something like this seriously. Because it shouldn't be taken seriously.

>% who know someone with
    lol no
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 580
Size:  217.9 KB

Again, most Covid positives are asymptomatic. And most of those who do show symptoms show normal flu symptoms.

So what does that chart even mean?

That's why it should be disregarded.

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-24-2020),Rojo (10-24-2020)

Currently has symptoms? No one in NY knows anyone with symptoms because everyone got it 6 or 7 months ago.

You can quote the Pope himself for all I care. I will never take something like this seriously. Because it shouldn't be taken seriously.

>% who know someone with
    lol no
    And this is the problem we are having in this country. People are choosing to ignore the scientists, to ignore the experts. People think they know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Currently has symptoms? No one in NY knows anyone with symptoms because everyone got it 6 or 7 months ago.
    This chart is meant to represent the current situation in each state, not the culmination over the entire course of the pandemic.

Right, which is part of the reason it's goofy. The pandemic has already raged through all those Eastern states. People dont have it there now because they already had it in March or April.

And this is the problem we are having in this country. People are choosing to ignore the scientists, to ignore the experts. People think they know better.
    I want to be as clear as possible without being a dbag here. Your chart literally had "% who know someone with" as it relates to symptoms.

Do you really not see the problem here?

Do you know the number of Americans that show Covid symptoms annually? Hint, it looks like the flu.

11. Likes:

Rojo (10-24-2020)

Again, most Covid positives are asymptomatic. And most of those who do show symptoms show normal flu symptoms.

So what does that chart even mean?

That's why it should be disregarded.
    I want to be as clear as possible without being a dbag here. Your chart literally had "% who know someone with" as it relates to symptoms.

Do you really not see the problem here?

Do you know the number of Americans that show Covid symptoms annually? Hint, it looks like the flu.

The chart is specifically labeled, “Fewer Covid Symptons reported in states with higher rates of mask use.”

That’s important information. It doesn’t matter if the mask is protecting people from the flu or Covid, the point is that it is effective at protecting against spreading viruses.

I don’t know specifically why they chose this method, but my guess is that this is based on polling, and you can’t ask people if they have symptoms.

There is no reason to disregard this chart. You can point out what you think its faults are, but it still is quite informative.
    Last edited by 757690; 10-24-2020 at 01:47 AM.

This chart is meant to represent the current situation in each state, not the culmination over the entire course of the pandemic.
    And please stop with the reverence for scientists talking point. That's a cable news thing that may work there, but for anyone who has even a bit of a clue regarding this virus it's just lame.

14. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-24-2020),Rojo (10-24-2020)

Right, which is part of the reason it's goofy. The pandemic has already raged through all those Eastern states. People dont have it there now because they already had it in March or April.
    People don’t have it there because aggressive measures were taken to limit it. One of the most important measures was aggressive mask use.

- - - Updated - - -

And please stop with the reverence for scientists talking point. That's a cable news thing that may work there, but for anyone who has even a bit of a clue regarding this virus it's just lame.
    So we shouldn’t listen to the scientists? That is lame?

The chart is specifically labeled, “Fewer Covid Symptons reported in states with higher rates of mask use.”

That’s important information. It doesn’t matter if the mask is protecting people from the flu or Covid, the point is that it is effective at protecting against spreading viruses.

I don’t know specifically why they chose this method, but my guess is that this is based on polling, and you can’t ask people if they have symptoms.

There is no reason to disregard this chart. You can point out what you think its faults are, but it still is quite informative.
    >that's important information

This is where we disagree. Nothing in that chart was important imo. And regardless of why they chose the method, their method still renders their results meaningless.

Listen, if you switched mask wearing for % of people who had Covid in March/April on the x-axis, you'd get roughly the same chart. This chart may be interesting, but it's not really telling us a whole lot.

People don’t have it there because aggressive measures were taken to limit it. One of the most important measures was aggressive mask use.

- - - Updated - - -

So we shouldn’t listen to the scientists? That is lame?
    We should follow the facts.

Listen, if you switched mask wearing for % of people who had Covid in March/April on the x-axis, you'd get roughly the same chart. This chart may be interesting, but it's not really telling us a whole lot.
    That is inaccurate.

There is a second wave going on, and many of the states are seeing a rise in cases, and those states are equally distributed on the chart. Many states who had it big in the spring are seeing high numbers again.

Turn Off Ads?