Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread

I've watched enough bad Star Trek over the years to not be bothered by Time Travel logic. This one was no more egregious than your average episode of Voyager on that front, so I was able to just go with it.

My only real quibble was Captain America "retiring" -- the world is still in shambles (can you imagine the impact of 3-4 billion people suddenly re-emerging into existence? How many husbands/wives re-emerged into a world where their spouses had moved on without them? Or the number of religious cults that probably emerged around rapture suddenly finding everyone back?), and he decides to just piss off to the past and live out his own little fantasy of life with Agent Carter? I don't buy it from the character that he would ever be able to just walk away like that -- and that's before you even consider the weight Stark's death would have on him, knowing he talked him out of retirement and now Kid Stark is without her dad.

Captain America has been the strongest written of all of the MCU characters -- the ending here did a complete disservice to his character.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (04-29-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've watched enough bad Star Trek over the years to not be bothered by Time Travel logic. This one was no more egregious than your average episode of Voyager on that front, so I was able to just go with it.

My only real quibble was Captain America "retiring" -- the world is still in shambles (can you imagine the impact of 3-4 billion people suddenly re-emerging into existence? How many husbands/wives re-emerged into a world where their spouses had moved on without them? Or the number of religious cults that probably emerged around rapture suddenly finding everyone back?), and he decides to just piss off to the past and live out his own little fantasy of life with Agent Carter? I don't buy it from the character that he would ever be able to just walk away like that -- and that's before you even consider the weight Stark's death would have on him, knowing he talked him out of retirement and now Kid Stark is without her dad.

Captain America has been the strongest written of all of the MCU characters -- the ending here did a complete disservice to his character.
    well, he very clearly thought that Falcon was going to continue on as Captain America, competently, I guess. And time-wise, he was only gone for a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Did any of you notice that Steve said no to Sam when he asked about the ring?

That bothered me for a while after the movie. Steve knew Peggy got married and had kids. He wouldn't selfishly erase them, so either he was always the husband that Peggy never mentioned by name, or he stole a moment with her, and became Nomad, wandering the country. To get the shield, I figure he found Howard Stark, explained what he could to him and had another one built. Mjolnir was oddly missing though.

Black Widow is problematic, BUT I can see Guardians Vol. 3 with Thor (YES!!!) on a mission to reunite Gamora's soul with the current Gamora roaming the universe. Doing so may bring back Natasha, but after the Black Widow movie.

M'Baku has probably been ruling Wakanda for the last 5 years. So that movie is set.

At Tony's house, after the funeral when everyone is gathered, there is a tall kid alone on the right. Couldn't quite figure out who that was. Had to read that it was the kid in Iron Man 3, and that little attention to detail is why I love the Marvel movies. And why I am looking forward to Disney+ series Loki, Hawkeye and Wanda/Vision, who I assume will be repaired by Shuri and Professor Hulk.
    I interpreted Cap saying no to being old fashioned. People from that generation don’t “kiss and tell”, so to speak.

When Black Widow was on the conference call in the movie, it appeared Okoye was in charge of Wakanda. I do think it’s going to set up Black Panther 2 though. The Jabari tribe was more dedicated to history than any other tribe in Wakanda, and I think M’Baku seeing the devastation in Infinity War will lead him to challenge for the throne again (Remember, T’Challa was exiled in the comics)

I may be in the minority, but I really believe the Russo’s ruined the MCU Captain America. Winter Soldier was great, but how do you explain someone who covered for his best friend and gave up his shield and identity at the end of Civil War to all of a sudden being “worthy” to wield an enchanted hammer?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I loved the end for Captain and this thread that says otherwise is the worst thing I have ever read on this site.

Also, the movie was perfect.

And that is from someone who is an "old" at this point.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I interpreted Cap saying no to being old fashioned. People from that generation don’t “kiss and tell”, so to speak.

When Black Widow was on the conference call in the movie, it appeared Okoye was in charge of Wakanda. I do think it’s going to set up Black Panther 2 though. The Jabari tribe was more dedicated to history than any other tribe in Wakanda, and I think M’Baku seeing the devastation in Infinity War will lead him to challenge for the throne again (Remember, T’Challa was exiled in the comics)

I may be in the minority, but I really believe the Russo’s ruined the MCU Captain America. Winter Soldier was great, but how do you explain someone who covered for his best friend and gave up his shield and identity at the end of Civil War to all of a sudden being “worthy” to wield an enchanted hammer?
    We came away with completely different views. My experience with that generation is that they loved talking about their true loves. The one that got away or the one they stayed with forever.

To me Okoye looked more the liaison, which seems like a thing M'Baku would want. Natasha knew Okoye, but no one knew M'Baku and with his cultural beliefs, he probably preferred it that way.

Cap was always worthy. Thor knew it. Plus we now know the hammer is somewhat alive. It chooses who is worthy. Steve giving up the shield showed he was more than a symbol. It was in that moment, probably more than any other, that showed he was worthy. Bucky had no say in murdering Tony's parents. He was a weapon only, pointed and fired. Steve stood by him, not to cover for him, but to stand with his friend that had been used.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Saw it last night.

Meh.

About 45 minutes too long.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

schmidty622 (05-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Saw it last night.

Meh.

About 45 minutes too long.
    I'd say 20 minutes short.

And it was fantastic.

11. Likes:

membengal (05-06-2019),WVRed (05-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd say 20 minutes short.

And it was fantastic.
    I agree wholeheartedly on this.

The beginning was rushed. Would have been nice to have seen the immediate aftermath following the snap and Captain Marvel meeting the Avengers in more detail (the mid credit scene in her own movie).

Also more elaboration on building the Stark Gauntlet that came from out of nowhere.

On a side note, the movie passed Titanic for second highest grossing movie of all time. There’s still time to catch up to Avatar. With Aladdin coming out in a couple weeks, i doubt it happens.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

One thing I’m excited for after seeing this movie as well: Thor likely in Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Two characters rumored to be in GOTG3: Beta Ray Bill and Quasar.

14. Likes:

RedsBaron (05-07-2019),TRF (05-08-2019)

So, is it 2024 now? How does that work?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So, is it 2024 now? How does that work?
    I believe the next Spiderman begins minutes after the end of Endgame, so I could see each movie 2020-2024 occurring almost at the same time and the timeline syncing with ours fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I believe the next Spiderman begins minutes after the end of Endgame, so I could see each movie 2020-2024 occurring almost at the same time and the timeline syncing with ours fairly quickly.
    Supposedly everyone who survived the snap is five years older than those who didn’t. Essentially meaning that Peter and his classmates in FFH who didn’t survive the snap are still in HS while everyone who survived the snap that would have been in his class are off to college.

Watching the trailer yesterday Marvel is showing Mysterio as someone from a different earth as the snap essentially opened up the multiverse. I’m more of the opinion that the twist is Mysterio is controlling the elementals and is using the multiverse as a sham to make himself look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    It's not that quick. They put out 16 movies in the past five years. That's a busy 2024, especially with mutants emerging (all that gamma radiation from the three snaps surely leads to X-Men). I agree time freeze is probably the best way to go on that, though they've also got their Disney+ shows and Agents of Shield.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Agents of Shield premieres Friday and looks really good. I think FFH will take us to the year 2024, but I think it will be less a frozen timeline and more a compressed one. Easiest thing to do is just not mention the year.

I like the idea of Beta Ray Bill, and him possibly getting Stormbreaker from Thor, with Thor getting Mjolnir back from Cap, but Quasar is almost as cosmically powered as Captain Marvel, maybe even more so. I'd rather see Richie Ryder as Nova. Xandar has been destroyed, that sets up The Man Called Nova perfectly.

Really curious about the rumored Eternals movie considering how badly Marvel did with the Inhumans.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's not that quick. They put out 16 movies in the past five years. That's a busy 2024, especially with mutants emerging (all that gamma radiation from the three snaps surely leads to X-Men). I agree time freeze is probably the best way to go on that, though they've also got their Disney+ shows and Agents of Shield.
    I think the far more likely outcome is using the multiverse to move the X-Men (and, eventually, the Fantastic Four) from a parallel universe into "our" universe as fully-formed characters -- possibly from universes where the Avengers didn't exist and they were the "protectors" of humanity / Earth.

I could buy a "snaps = mutants" storyline, but that kinda locks you in to doing new origins for just about every one of the X-Men -- which, cool, it's a comic and you can absolutely do, but I think it's reinventing a wheel that doesn't need reinventing.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?