Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals Super Bowl Thread: Why Not Us?

Re: Cincinnati Bengals Super Bowl Thread: Why Not Us?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’d really like a guy you could target across the middle on short passes out of the slot. Boyd kinda fits that role, doesn’t need to be a star guy. Just a specialty type guy IMO.
    Maybe the Gronk thing will end up having legs.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’d really like a guy you could target across the middle on short passes out of the slot. Boyd kinda fits that role, doesn’t need to be a star guy. Just a specialty type guy IMO.
    I don't know if the Bengals will use that though. Trent Taylor could fill that role, but when they go 5 wide it's with RB, TE, and 3 WRs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Burrow MCL sprain no surgery

Taylor extended to 2026.
    Good news about Burrow. I don't care how great a QB is, he can't make plays lying on his back. You think a healthy Burrow may have been able to avoid Donald on that 4th down play. He may have been able to make some plays in the previous drive where they ran the ball almost every play. They may have been running clock on that drive but Burrow couldn't make a play and they had to punt.

Fixing the line in free agency is easier said than done. Free agency is a two way street. You have to want them but they also have to want you too. I will say Cincinnati is a more attractive destination for players than it has been in the past but other places are attractive too. And how much is ownership going to want to raise payroll? Burrow is going to be in his 3rd year and in a couple of years, he's going to get paid. Mixon is pretty close to free agency. Is he a candidate for an extension or do you hesitate because of the short shelf life of NFL running backs? The receivers are going to get paid too - save for Chase who is only going to be a 2nd year player. If the Bengals really want Burrow to be a Bengal for life, they may not want too many long term deals for other players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Maybe the Gronk thing will end up having legs.
    Gronk is also an excellent blocker, so yeah I hope so.

What was Gio’s contract with the Bucs? I tend to recall him being a pretty good blocker for a back. I also wouldn’t mind having him back, giving Burrow another receiving option out of the backfield and helping boost his protection.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-16-2022)

"So Fla Red"

Mixon is signed for 2 more years with an club option for 2025.

With Burrow, Chase, Higgins and an above average Oline they are set for a while and can compete for a championship in any year.

I would say Boyd is a luxury as a WR3 at 10M a year.

Upgrade wr3-wr5 with average receivers and redeploy Boyd's $ for OL or other needs.(after this season?).

I like CJ but he is an average TE. An above average TE would be lethal with Burrow.

I want to see a lot more creative use of Chris Evans next season.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Mixon is signed for 2 more years with an club option for 2025.

With Burrow, Chase, Higgins and an above average Oline they are set for a while and can compete for a championship in any year.

I would say Boyd is a luxury as a WR3 at 10M a year.

Upgrade wr3-wr5 with average receivers and redeploy Boyd's $ for OL or other needs.(after this season?).

I like CJ but he is an average TE. An above average TE would be lethal with Burrow.

I want to see a lot more creative use of Chris Evans next season.
    Boyd is one of the best slot guys in the league though and he is Burrows emergency valve.. He catches everything and is an excellent blocker. Plus he has really good chemistry with Higgins and Chase. I see them running everything back with additions to the offensive line.

CJ seems the biggest question mark to me but he may take less to stay. If not Gronk might be worth looking at.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-16-2022)

They run so many 3 receiver sets that I'm not sure I'd call Boyd a luxury. And they were very fortunate with health this year. If Chase or Higgins had to miss a few games, they'd really miss Boyd if he was gone. They'd save about $7,000,000 on the cap if they cut him this year. But you'd probably have to use a 3rd or 4th on his replacement in the slot which means they probably use two mid round picks on WR. Next year is where it gets interesting with a closer to $9,000,000 savings. They'd need to develop some guys to even think about it with how little they have behind the three starters.

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-16-2022)

They have a window before Chase and Burrow get expensive...I hope they go for it over the next few years because the time is now. Fix the line and add a hammer on D.

13. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-17-2022),Old school 1983 (02-17-2022)

There's approximately a 0.0% chance they cut Boyd.

The two obvious cuts for immediate cap savings are Wayans and Hopkins. They currently have $57 million in available cap, but if they cut Wayans and Hopkins their available cap for FA etc goes up to $72 - $74 million dollar range. That's a lot to go shopping with for line help and re-signing our own target FAs...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-17-2022),Redsfaithful (02-17-2022)

The Bengals are probably in the most envious position of any team in the NFL. A young offensive core with a 3rd year QB. The defense was good enough to get them to the Super Bowl. They are in a division with a PIT team looking for a new QB, a CLE team with a huge question mark at QB among other positions, and a BAL team with a lot of talent but maybe Lamar is starting to break down. There's no coaching or ownership controversy. Even if Mike Brown passed away the family would still retain control of the team. Sure, their OL needs fixed but so do a lot of teams. They have plenty of cap room and a feelgood vibe around the franchise.

However, things in the NFL can change quickly. Last year at this time the Browns were the up and coming team. It's also tougher maintaining a championship team than building one. Some people may contract what Pat Riley called "The disease of me." I think everyone knows what that is. While the Bengals youth is a positive, it can also be a drawback. Young players often are not mature players. This may be Taylor's biggest challenge. Of course injuries are a factor. The Bengals were fairly fortunate with injuries this season. Even if they fix that OL, there could be some kind of freak injury that sidelines Burrow. Look at what happened to Dan Marino. Slipped on dirt in CLE and messed up his knee. Burrow's running abilities aren't a big part of his game like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen. Burrow doesn't seek out contact but he will run when he needs to. He usually slides or runs out of bounds before he gets hit. That's a huge positive for his health both short and long term. The Bengals are going to be a target in 2022. They aren't going to take anyone by surprise. They have BUF and KC at home plus their divisional opponents. They have to play DAL, NE, TB, NO and TEN on the road. No gimmies but a good teams wins most of those games - even if they are on the road.

I think their biggest opponent will be themselves. They will have expectations now. I think fans will expect them to make the playoffs at a minimum. Even making the playoffs and losing in the first round will be a disappointment to most Bengals fans.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (02-17-2022),JBChance (02-21-2022),Redsfaithful (02-17-2022)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Burrow is tougher than Andrew Luck. That said, the Bengals do need to learn from the Colts' mistakes
    I hope you're kidding. I'm not saying that Burrow isn't tough, but he's never had to play with ruptured internal organs. The Colts were fine with this guy getting destroyed almost every game. I don't blame him for retiring!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-17-2022),Redsfaithful (02-17-2022),Revering4Blue (02-17-2022)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    There's approximately a 0.0% chance they cut Boyd.

The two obvious cuts for immediate cap savings are Wayans and Hopkins. They currently have $57 million in available cap, but if they cut Wayans and Hopkins their available cap for FA etc goes up to $72 - $74 million dollar range. That's a lot to go shopping with for line help and re-signing our own target FAs...
    Of course zero chance Boyd would be cut for cap space. Boyd has a good contract for 2022 and 2023 at $8.25M and $8.45M net of signing bonus already paid. They will let that ride, but will be tough to sign him after 2023 as the focus will be on the Higgins LT extension.

The only possibiloty was suggesting Boyd could be an interesting trade candidate for top tier O-Line help. With ample cap space for 2022 this should not be an issue. Cutting Waynes and Hopkins are the obvious first moves.

The Bengals do need to upgrade backup WRs and I would like to see the possibility with an upgrade at TE. Ideally a way to keep both Uzomah and bring someone else in to really open up the middle of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I hope you're kidding. I'm not saying that Burrow isn't tough, but he's never had to play with ruptured internal organs. The Colts were fine with this guy getting destroyed almost every game. I don't blame him for retiring!
    I put Burrow and Luck in the same category (too tough for their own good...) there desire to win is so strong they put health and safety to the side. It's what makes them great but the cost down the road is so high. Big reason Luck walked away...cause he couldn't turn it off.

Burrow's mic'd up scream after being bent backwards is tough to hear.

22. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-17-2022),Redsfaithful (02-17-2022),Revering4Blue (02-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Of course zero chance Boyd would be cut for cap space. Boyd has a good contract for 2022 and 2023 at $8.25M and $8.45M net of signing bonus already paid. They will let that ride, but will be tough to sign him after 2023 as the focus will be on the Higgins LT extension.

The only possibiloty was suggesting Boyd could be an interesting trade candidate for top tier O-Line help. With ample cap space for 2022 this should not be an issue. Cutting Waynes and Hopkins are the obvious first moves.

The Bengals do need to upgrade backup WRs and I would like to see the possibility with an upgrade at TE. Ideally a way to keep both Uzomah and bring someone else in to really open up the middle of the field.
    I was thinking someone who could be a pest. Like Berrios. Or if you wanted a tier above Smith-Schuster. A guy that you could hit over the middle or on quick hit check down type plays as a safety valve when the big guys don’t get open.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I put Burrow and Luck in the same category (too tough for their own good...) there desire to win is so strong they put health and safety to the side. It's what makes them great but the cost down the road is so high. Big reason Luck walked away...cause he couldn't turn it off.

Burrow's mic'd up scream after being bent backwards is tough to hear.
    I completely agree!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Turn Off Ads?