Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364 LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think they wanted to see if they could get Roark at a discount to shore up the 5th spot in the rotation with a dependable vet. He was more than they wanted to spend so they will look elsewhere.

This isn’t exactly rocket surgery folks.
    If so, it was an unrealistic flyer. Let's hope it's the only one. Reds need to do some serious business.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-13-2019 at 10:08 AM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just seems odd. What did they think Roark would cost in FA? They themselves paid him at a $!0 million rate last year.

He got a modest two million raise and a second year.

It just sounds like a lot of empty activity with no real end game on some of these guys. I mean, did they expect Roark to sign as a FA for one year and pay cut?

Cost/benefit analysis has to be realistic.
    2/$24MM is a fairly steep price to pay for a guy like Roark. He wasn't exactly a steal at last year's salary. That was a market-rate price for a 1yr deal. Assuming he didn't really do all that much to build on that price, plus he commanded a 2nd year, the Reds passed on matching the Blue Jays offer.

I just don't get where the fuss is on Roark.

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-13-2019),NebraskaRed (12-13-2019),Old school 1983 (12-13-2019),Revering4Blue (12-13-2019),Ron Madden (12-13-2019),StRedlegs900 (12-13-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Castellanos is just such a bad fielder that it doesn't make sense to sign him unless Ozuna is significantly more expensive or not actually interested in signing with the Reds.

Just seems odd. What did they think Roark would cost in FA? They themselves paid him at a $!0 million rate last year.

He got a modest two million raise and a second year.

It just sounds like a lot of empty activity with no real end game on some of these guys. I mean, did they expect Roark to sign as a FA for one year and pay cut?

Cost/benefit analysis has to be realistic.
    Why would they have expected Roark to command more money than he did last year? He isn’t exactly a great pitcher. He’s a serviceable back end guy without great stuff.

Free Agency has taken off a bit compared to last year. Honestly, going into the offseason I though Roark would get something like $7M for 1 year. It’s “just a $2m raise and a second year“ is a extra $14M when he likely continues to slowly decline in performance. The second year is a very reasonable hang up.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-13-2019),StRedlegs900 (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    2/$24MM is a fairly steep price to pay for a guy like Roark. He wasn't exactly a steal at last year's salary. That was a market-rate price for a 1yr deal. Assuming he didn't really do all that much to build on that price, plus he commanded a 2nd year, the Reds passed on matching the Blue Jays offer.

I just don't get where the fuss is on Roark.
    There's no fuss on the player. I couldn't care less about signing Roark. It's about whether some of these offers are serious and realistic.
    Reds are supposedly "going for it."

How many free agents signed in December, coming off decent seasons, get a pay cut?

The guy got a $2 million annual raise. 20% raise in free agency. Peanuts. Yes, he got a second year, not that surprising in FA.

Just seems like Reds' name is being used in many, many situations but it doesn't mean they are being serious bidders. Hopefully this is an isolated incident or more facts would explain what happened.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-13-2019 at 10:17 AM.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

There's no fuss on the player. I couldn't care less about signing Roark. It's about whether some of these offers are serious and realistic.
    Reds are supposedly "going for it."

How many free agents signed in December, coming off decent seasons, get a pay cut?

The guy got a $2 million annual raise. 20% raise in free agency. Peanuts. Yes, he got a second year, not that surprising in FA.

Just seems like Reds' name is being used in many, many situations but it doesn't mean they are being serious bidders. Hopefully this is an isolated incident or more facts would explain what happened.
    Or maybe they had a certain price they were willing to pay Roark and stuck to it. He’s a solid pitcher but kit a game changer. Go the extra mile for game changers.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Or maybe they had a certain price they were willing to pay Roark and stuck to it. He’s a solid pitcher but kit a game changer. Go the extra mile for game changers.
    Extra mile?

Roark maybe got an extra yard. And given the nature of FA probably not even that.

If the Reds are offering guys like Roark cheapo, unrealistic contracts, that's not the way to "go for it." Sounds like business as usual. I'm on to other things, thanks.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Castellanos is just such a bad fielder that it doesn't make sense to sign him unless Ozuna is significantly more expensive or not actually interested in signing with the Reds.
    I haven’t had a chance to watch him much, but is it something that more outfield experience could fix? He doesn’t look like a hopeless athlete in the Schwarber mold, but maybe I’m wrong.

Cast improved in 2019 compared to 2018. Keep in mind he was a 3B prior to that. I think he will continue to improve and be average out there.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

mth123 (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I don't get the love for Ozuna. He has had one good year. In all others Castellanos is far superior offensively. With defensive positioning defense is not as much a concern. My gut tells me whoever signs Ozuna will regret it quickly. On the other hand I see Castellanos mashing at gabp. After Castellanos I would go after Dickerson. Ozuna is gonna get way overpaid.

19. Likes:

redsman2007 (12-13-2019),Rojo Rijo (12-13-2019),Tuff Nut (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I don't get the love for Ozuna. He has had one good year. In all others Castellanos is far superior offensively. With defensive positioning defense is not as much a concern. My gut tells me whoever signs Ozuna will regret it quickly. On the other hand I see Castellanos mashing at gabp. After Castellanos I would go after Dickerson. Ozuna is gonna get way overpaid.
    Ozuna would be a steady bat, probably hit fifth, you'd have a middle of the order of Suarez, Moustakas, Ozuna.

I don't agree about the defensive point in the outfield. You do better with outfielders who can move, field their positions, and throw.

I'm not wedded to Ozuna, I see the limitations, but he's a solid player who would help the middle of the order.

21. Likes:

marcshoe (12-13-2019)

If so, it was an unrealistic flyer. Let's hope it's the only one. Reds need to do some serious business.
    They probably just called his agent and asked “how much?”

And that was that.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-13-2019)

Ozuna would be a steady bat, probably hit fifth, you'd have a middle of the order of Suarez, Moustakas, Ozuna.

I don't agree about the defensive point in the outfield. You do better with outfielders who can move, field their positions, and throw.

I'm not wedded to Ozuna, I see the limitations, but he's a solid player who would help the middle of the order.
    He will get about 16 million a year. He had one good year in 2017. Other than that he has had one year he opsd 800 and that was exactly 800 last year. He is an ok player that has never lived up to his potential. Hard pass

I'd like to see them add Ozuna or Castellanos AND add Shogo if he runs them less than $10M per, then let Senzel, Aquino Winker & Ervin fight it out for the 3rd spot (those that aren't dealt. If there's room sign a starter as well.

I Castellanos signing "incident" yesterday was a real gut punch. Need a signing soon to make up for it.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-13-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Ozuna last year was .241/.328/.472/.800. I consider that a good year.

It all depends on dollars and cents and who will come to Cincy and all that. I certainly won't stamp my feet to get Marcel Ozuna.

But I think he's a solid player. I believe if you string together solid hitters they will perform. And Ozuna might benefit from GABP.

27. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?