Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I'd go Keuchel, but was close to picking Price. Keuchel doesn't require trading away prospects. The Reds would be able to hold onto assets.
    Not sure Price would require any level of asset that would really be concerning if they are mostly trying to get off payroll...but that is just my speculation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Not sure Price would require any level of asset that would really be concerning if they are mostly trying to get off payroll...but that is just my speculation.
    Good point, I'd imagine the Reds would only have to give up a quality prospect if they were also trying to land one of Boston's OF in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by StRedlegs900 View Post
    As others have echoed, if Spring Training rolls around and they haven't made the necessary moves, then I'll join in the chorus - but not on December 12th after not signing mid-tier guys.
    I get the sentiment and I agree that there are still players available and moves to be made. Still though, when people have posted this in prior years, they've been wrong. The Reds didn't ultimately make the moves that are necessary. Hence the long run of finishing under .500 and low in the standings. I'd wager that the people complaining will ultimately proven right yet again. The necessary moves aren't coming.

People think that the Reds are on the doorstep. Well that's where doormats generally reside and the Reds are a doormat until they aren't.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    If you were GM of the Reds, considering any other moves you wish to make and taking into consideration to overall expected budget, which one would you choose to add to the starting pitching staff/rotation?

- Keuchel - 3 Years / $50 Million
    - Ryu - 2 Years / $42 Milllion
    - Price - 3 Years / $51 Million (Boston pays the rest)
    - Gio - 2 Years / $14 Million
    I may actually go Gio. That should leave me enough to sign someone like Ozuna and go hard after Dellin Betances. Then see if there are trade options to upgrade SS and/or Catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I get the sentiment and I agree that there are still players available and moves to be made. Still though, when people have posted this in prior years, they've been wrong. The Reds didn't ultimately make the moves that are necessary. Hence the long run of finishing under .500 and low in the standings. I'd wager that the people complaining will ultimately proven right yet again. The necessary moves aren't coming.
    My expectations have dropped dramatically. I hope I am proven wrong.
    If no other moves are made (note the "IF", people), the team at least will be entertaining to watch.
    Probably not good enough for me to buy tickets though..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    My expectations have dropped dramatically. I hope I am proven wrong.
    If no other moves are made (note the "IF", people), the team at least will be entertaining to watch.
    Probably not good enough for me to buy tickets though..
    If I lived in the area, I think the days Luis or Sonny is pitching would always be worth the cost of admission.

9. Likes:

Red Raindog (12-13-2019),reds77 (12-13-2019),wolfboy (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    2/$24MM is a fairly steep price to pay for a guy like Roark. He wasn't exactly a steal at last year's salary. That was a market-rate price for a 1yr deal. Assuming he didn't really do all that much to build on that price, plus he commanded a 2nd year, the Reds passed on matching the Blue Jays offer.

I just don't get where the fuss is on Roark.
    OTOH, if Kevin Gausman is worth $9 Million...
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Let's say Reds were willing to trade Winker and Tyler Stephenson to the Pirates.

They would get back Marte and another player. Maybe a pitcher.

Who would that other player(s) be to make it an even trade?
    Keone Kela probably, but I still don't like it. I'm not sure from an offensive standpoint subbing Marte for Winker improves anything. It makes the positions fit better, but it doesn't improve the offense. I'd do Aquino instead of Winker. If the REds are dealing Stephenson, he should be the headliner. No need to deal one of the few above average bats on the roster. Winker is better than Ozuna as well.

13. Likes:

DocRed (12-13-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Yeah, that one shocked me. I thought he'd get a little more than half of that.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

If Pittsburgh is open to trades I ask about Newman, Reynolds and Taillon.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Price. I think people are undervaluing him a bit right now.
    I'd take Gio. The Reds need Bullpen and Offense. Another high paid starter is a luxury, though if they could sign one of the others and deal Bauer for the other stuff they need, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If the Reds decide to go with Mahle in the rotation in 2020 and he has a good year, I will give the Reds credit for that.
    But they are looking for an upgrade to Mahle.. Didn't get Wheeler or Roark.. I suspect they will eventually get someone.
    IMO, the Reds do not want Mahle in the rotation next year.
    Do you agree or disagree or disagree on that? It's ok if you disagree, just curious.

The Reds need to win in 2020.. Mahle's long term potential really doesn't matter.
    They need a solid #5 (doesn't have to be spectacular) Mahle is unlikely to do that.
    Long term potential means nothing for 2020..
    Mahle might be more useful in the bullpen in 2020. Or maybe in AAA as injury insurance. Not sure what the Reds plans are. But Plan B is "put Mahle in the rotation because we couldn't get anyone better".
    edit: looks like others I hadn't read yet have basically said the same thing, but I'll leave it up I guess since I can't just delete the whole post anyway.

It's moot now with regard to Roark specifically, but I think there's a 3rd option to Roarke (or whoever) or Mahle and it's probably the most likely one: both. I think the Reds think (and I agree) that you should ideally go into the spring training with at least six starters you are comfortable with. Just look at recent history, there's maybe a 50/50 chance somebody is going to have some type of tightness that puts them behind early in ST which often bleeds into the season - sometimes deep into the season like Wood. Factor in additional injuries and potential ineffectiveness and chances are excellent you will need that 6th starter sooner rather than later. In the meantime, it gives you options whether that means Mahle doing multiple inning stints from the bullpen for awhile or maybe even adding in a quality trade chip like Disco to get a bigger deal done.
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 12-13-2019 at 01:23 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

True that. Big time head-scratcher.

Keone Kela probably, but I still don't like it. I'm not sure from an offensive standpoint subbing Marte for Winker improves anything. It makes the positions fit better, but it doesn't improve the offense. I'd do Aquino instead of Winker. If the REds are dealing Stephenson, he should be the headliner. No need to deal one of the few above average bats on the roster. Winker is better than Ozuna as well.
    I was thinking Kela too.

Stephenson and AA for Marte and Kela is a fair deal. I'd hate to see Aquino in a Pirates uni, but it makes the team better, especially with Senzel in RF and Winker/Ervin in LF.

Nearing 1000 comments - I'm locking this thread

Please continue in the new one.

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-14-2019),The Operator (12-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?