Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: September 23rd Reds at Astros game thread

Re: September 23rd Reds at Astros game thread

Nice job by Cordero. Thankfully that call didn't come back to hurt them. Volquez picks up win #17.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Volquez finally picks up his 17th win.

You know, you could watch the first inning of this game, fall asleep, and wake up about the time Weathers came on and not missed much of anything (except Joey getting robbed). Of course you'd have to live through the total nail-biting performance of Cordero each and every time he comes in, but it's a win.

Oh, my kingdom for some offense (and better umpires).

BTW, what good is instant replay if they don't have closeup camera angles? I mean, that shot they were using to determine the HR stunk. If that's the case, no call be ever be overturned. The NFL uses several camera angles and closeups, but in MLB, all you get is Fox's feed which usually is horrible.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That game had a little bit of everything

This team is just flat-out getting it done lately. Good pitching does wonders, doesn't it?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm still amazed they missed that call. Do they really think a line drive can hit on top of a fence and ricochet back into the playing field on a line? On the rare occasion that a flyball hits on top of a wall the ball will usually bounce in the air and back onto the playing field.
    I agree. In real speed, it is obvious it hit a seat.

Well, at least it didn't matter.

Great win for the Reds.

8 of 11 (sub 3 earnie over that period), 16 of 23 for the Reds. I thank them for making my September a little more exciting than I thought it would be a month ago.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    8 of 11 (sub 3 earnie over that period), 16 of 23 for the Reds. I thank them for making my September a little more exciting than I thought it would be a month ago.
    Absolutely. This team has been fun to watch over the last month.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 09-24-2008 at 12:06 AM.

What an excellent start by Volquez. After watching him in the first inning I didn't think he had a chance to make it past five innings tonight. He wasn't commanding his pitches well and was constantly above the belt. After the first inning he settled down and had excellent command the rest of the night. This kid is going to be special.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    You know, you could watch the first inning of this game, fall asleep, and wake up about the time Weathers came on and not missed much of anything (except Joey getting robbed). Of course you'd have to live through the total nail-biting performance of Cordero each and every time he comes in, but it's a win.

Oh, my kingdom for some offense (and better umpires).

BTW, what good is instant replay if they don't have closeup camera angles? I mean, that shot they were using to determine the HR stunk. If that's the case, no call be ever be overturned. The NFL uses several camera angles and closeups, but in MLB, all you get is Fox's feed which usually is horrible.
    I thought I saw a report that they were going to do this? Or is this something they'll put into play next year? Or, maybe I'm dreaming and never heard this at all

What an excellent start by Volquez. After watching him in the first inning I didn't think he had a chance to make it past five innings tonight. He wasn't commanding his pitches well and was constantly above the belt. After the first inning he settled down and had excellent command the rest of the night. This kid is going to be special.
    He already is, OBM. Let's just hope he can maintain his specialnace for many years. That's always a problem. Who would have thought that Harang would be 6-16 and Volquez 17-6? Strange.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Saw the Votto 'single' on the news, and the only thing I can think of is that whatever replay the umps got a look at was from another game.

I predicted before the season that Volquez would be the Reds best starter by the end of the season. I truly believed that but I never expected him to be *this* good so soon.

Absolutely. This team has fun to watch over the last month.
    Yes they have.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    One good sign is the way the team is playing right now. In 2006 and 2007, they had losing records in September, but this year they are 12-7 and will clinch a winning September 2008 with a win tonight. Baby steps.
    That's a good point that I hadn't thought of or noticed.

Turn Off Ads?