Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849 LastLast

Thread: 8.21.13 Arizona @ Reds

Re: 8.21.13 Arizona @ Reds

Man that would have been a tough loss. I'll take an ugly win over an ugly loss any day. Kudos to Dusty for using Chapman for two innings.

2. Likes:

klw (08-22-2013),PepperJack (08-22-2013),ProfessorTofty (08-21-2013),redsmetz (08-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What is the point of this?

It was a bad throw. A lot of things in baseball are difficult. If you notice, Phillips got the error, not Votto. That's because when your 2nd baseman throws one in the dirt and it gets away, it's an error on the 2nd baseman. You don't assume a ball "should" be picked.

Now if you want to run down Votto, that's fantastic. Leave logic out of it.

Bad throw, bad pick attempt, bad play on both ends.

The point? This a message board, correct? I made a comment, is that ok with you?

"So Fla Red"

Many have commented on Votto's defense and baserunning since returning from the knee injury last year. It's a very valid criticism and certainly worthy of discussion when your $250M man seems to be regressing on defense. However, the reports of his offensive demise were greatly exaggerated.

I'll be interested to see how Joey responds next year on defense after an offseason without the knee issue. But put me in the worried camp that in 2018 and beyond we could have a real dilemma.

On this play, BP gets the error but Votto absolutely has to try and knock that ball down and/or stretch and catch it on a very short hop. Fortunately this one didn't cost us tonight.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It was a Sunday hop. The ball should have been in his glove at this point. He sat back and let the ball play him.

I don't know if he is afraid to test his knee or what. But he rarely if ever stretches anymore like he used to.

How many times is doug going to label that "wide of the bag?"

It's exactly where the ball should be. Just bounced. And should have been fielded. I'm sure Votto would be first to say it.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post

It's exactly where the ball should be. Just bounced. And should have been fielded. I'm sure Votto would be first to say it.
    The only difference between this play and the one he made on Frazier's throw two batters before? BP's ball was in line with Votto's left shoulder and Frazier's throw was in the center of Votto's body. I'd say about a difference of one foot to the left, if that.

Looking at this photo, if he holds his glove still the ball probably goes in it. Instead he ole'd it.

Marshall got hurt one time and all of a sudden he can't stay healthy? Wut?

Here's a newsflash, the vast majority of pitchers will get hurt at some point.
    Yeah but Jocketty's an idiot for not predicting exactly when!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I want him to play 1B. He was totally willing to expand the zone in a RISP situation.
    I don't think Chapman saw a strike the whole AB, lol.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Leake gets the win...LOL...should be Chapman...
    Nope... If you feel that way then Homer should be denied the win against Oakland (8/7). He couldn't get out of the 6th inning, but the bullpen held on for the win.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

You all are pretty harsh on the Votto miss of the pick. It's a bad throw. End of story.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'll tell you what I'm noticing this morning. Looking at BR, and seeing Choo, Frazier, and Votto seeing 23, 29, and 27 pitches respectively in a game. I like that. Leave Frazier in the 2 hole.

Marshall got hurt one time and all of a sudden he can't stay healthy? Wut?

Here's a newsflash, the vast majority of pitchers will get hurt at some point.
    I think people are a little upset about Marshall's situation because he has only pitched 7 innings this year and his injuries have been kind of mysterious. This goes all the way back to spring training when we thought he would be out for a couple weeks. Now he is on the 60 day DL, and still no one is really sure what is going on with him.

I also believe people have a mistrust of the Reds medical staff, unwarranted as it probably is. It just seems like when a Reds player goes on the DL not much is heard from him again (Masset, Bray, Majewski).

Personally, I would prefer if the Reds went the Oakland A's approach with relief pitching and spent no money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post

Yep, I don't really get the Brandon Phillips bashing on this one (I don't really get bashing anyone for this play - plays like this happen) but I believe most first basemen make this play with relative ease.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yep, I don't really get the Brandon Phillips bashing on this one (I don't really get bashing anyone for this play - plays like this happen) but I believe most first basemen make this play with relative ease.
    You're not bashing anyone on this play, but most first baseman make this play.......easy. I'm not bashing anyone, but that's an easy play. Nice.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

BTW, did anyone notice that Dusty way outmanaged Gibson last night? That's fun to see.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You're not bashing anyone on this play, but most first baseman make this play.......easy. I'm not bashing anyone, but that's an easy play. Nice.
    I guess we have different definitions of "bashing."

To me "bashing" is "oh my GOD, what a horrendous play by Votto, he is terrible in the field. I CANNOT believe the Reds signed him to such a huge contract!!!."

to me saying "I believe most first basemen make this play with relative ease" is critiquing an individual play. I would have said the same thing if I was watching a Tigers game and Fielder did it, or if I was watching the Louisville Bats and Mike Hessman did it.

I mean, look at the photo above, the ball is right there, I think most first basemen make that play (with ease) including Votto. This just happened to be one of the few times out of hundred he messed it up.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Turn Off Ads?