Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds trade $ for Sox 1B Prospect

Re: Reds trade $ for Sox 1B Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    My guess is that this is sarcasm coming from a loooong time Redszoner that remembers some posters wanting the Reds to squire a backup to Votto. Could be wrong but it's how I took it.
    One particular poster who started a thread specifically about the problematic nature of the Reds lack of a backup first baseman.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Longhi hurt himself trying to make a play at the wall two weeks ago and needs Tommy John, because of course.

Would have been nice to get another month and a half to look at him, but hopefully he's ready by spring training. I think he's a pretty good little ballplayer who could open some eyes if he can tap into some more power (and even then it's hard to factor that in TOO much when dudes in the majors are hitting more HRs than they ever did in the minors). He had a miserable April in his first taste of AA but hit .295/.353/.453 the rest of the way. Turns 22 in a few weeks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

camisadelgolf (07-29-2017)

Longhi is starting to get my attention again. As I had noted above in summer 2017, he needed TJ surgery and lost the rest of that year. I don't know if it was perhaps some lingering effects from that or what but he had a miserable 2018 season between AA and AAA (and in the process becoming a whipping boy for one poster in particular in what was a strange bit). But it's 2019 now and Longhi, still only 23, has a .302/.362/.543 line with 6 HRs (he hit a pair of them today) over this first month plus this season. As comparison, in 32 games for Louisville last year, he hit .233/.258/.289 with 0 HRs.

He played a lot of 1B with some OF too in the Sox system and kind of split time between 1B and the OF in the Reds system, but he's mostly been in LF for the Bats.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

CrackerJack (05-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Longhi is starting to get my attention again. As I had noted above in summer 2017, he needed TJ surgery and lost the rest of that year. I don't know if it was perhaps some lingering effects from that or what but he had a miserable 2018 season between AA and AAA (and in the process becoming a whipping boy for one poster in particular in what was a strange bit). But it's 2019 now and Longhi, still only 23, has a .302/.362/.543 line with 6 HRs (he hit a pair of them today) over this first month plus this season. As comparison, in 32 games for Louisville last year, he hit .233/.258/.289 with 0 HRs.

He played a lot of 1B with some OF too in the Sox system and kind of split time between 1B and the OF in the Reds system, but he's mostly been in LF for the Bats.
    It would be nice if he could become a decent right handed bat with some pop off the bench. I wonder how his defense is in the OF. I'm sure it's not great but hopefully passable.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Kind of strikes me as a poor man's Evan White.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If something arise though you'd probably have to ask Longhi or O'Grady? O'Grady

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    One particular poster who started a thread specifically about the problematic nature of the Reds lack of a backup first baseman.
    Not to beat any dead horses here, but Votto ain't getting any younger. It seems baseball people think first basemen must hit for power despite the Reds having had quite a few pretty good first basemen who hit pretty darn good for average.. Maybe I'm just not aging well, but I prefer a hitter who can punch out a .300 average regularly over one who hits 40 HRs with a .230 BA

I'm not much into a singles hitting corner player unless they hit .330 or something along those lines, but Longhi seems to be adding a bit of pop. I had all but written the guy off, but IMO, he's hot and should have gotten the call over Ervin. Today against Ryu would be the perfect time for Longhi to play for Votto or Winker.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The emergence of Longhi, Van Meter, and O'Grady is good news.

Part of that might be the AAA ball, but who cares? If it's the same ball that's now used in MLB, it should provide an idea of what they might provide when moving up.

Longhi with 2 more HR last night. Through June 1, he has an OPS of .934. If the Reds are looking for a RH bat to platoon with Winker, this guy should get a look. Longhi doesn't turn 24 until August and outfielders who can hit are fairly scarce in relation to the number of jobs in the big leagues. It seems I was very wrong about this guy and I'm really glad I was. HE might be in the mix for RF next year when Puig leaves town.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I liked the Longhi acquisition when it was made, and wrote about it here, because I'd seen him in Salem quite a few times in 2016. Still like it; what's pretty clear to me from looking now at a number of his recent videos is that he's put on significant weight since then and has been paying attention to the launch angle buzz. Swing used to be much flatter, now doing a lot more to elevate the ball. He looks very strong to me now in the lower body. I've wondered whether the power surge is authentic; I think it may be.

15. Likes:

mth123 (06-02-2019)

Turn Off Ads?