Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking the Former Reds

Re: Tracking the Former Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I was totally onboard the Yonder Alonso bandwagon with what he showed during his brief Reds tenure, but he was a big disappointment his first 3 years in San Diego. Seems like a good guy so I'd hope this breakout is real.
    I hope it is too. I always thought he could hit; I still think he can hit. On another note related to the LF situation, Ben Lively went 6 scoreless tonight for Reading.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Alonso now at .914 (.365 batting average). Might have been best, after all, to have solved the LF problem by moving Votto.
    Getting Latos was MORE than worth that risk. Of course if Walt had taken the LF situation seriously and just DEALT with it initially instead of trying all of these half measures, it wouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Apparently the Dodgers expect to call up Heisey on Wednesday.
    Sent right back down. I also saw last night that he's now sporting one of those dumb bushy beards that are all the rage.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I also saw last night that he's now sporting one of those dumb bushy beards that are all the rage.
    Sounds like we got rid of him just in time.

Rey Navarro got the call-up from Baltimore today.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

BillDoran (04-26-2015)

Corcino joins Dennick as non-roster player at Dodgers AA affiliate.

Rey Navarro got the call-up from Baltimore today.
    Doug's head explodes.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

JayBruceFan (04-27-2015)

Former Red Danny Jackson had his view of tonight's Reds-Cubs game blocked by an over-eager Jim Day interviewing Paul O'Neil.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Latos 0-3 with a 10.34 era is going for the Fish tonight to break his winless streak.

Solid tonight thus far. 6th inning with 2 runs allowed. 2-2 game.

14. Likes:

BillDoran (04-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Horatio Caine!!!!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Doug's head explodes.
    Could have kept him for $60,000 that was going to someone else anyways (40-man roster price). Instead it went to Ryan Dennick or Jason Bourgeois. My head still hurts when I think about it. A journeyman 32-year-old outfielder and a journeyman minor league loogy over a 24-year-old middle infielder. I'm going to go slam a door on my head.

17. Likes:

757690 (04-26-2015),BillDoran (04-26-2015),HokieRed (04-27-2015),Redeyecat (05-12-2015),ScotlandRed (04-27-2015),Tom Servo (04-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Could have kept him for $60,000 that was going to someone else anyways (40-man roster price). Instead it went to Ryan Dennick or Jason Bourgeois. My head still hurts when I think about it. A journeyman 32-year-old outfielder and a journeyman minor league loogy over a 24-year-old middle infielder. I'm going to go slam a door on my head.
    Gotta be more to the Reyaldo Navarro story, right? The Royals don't just cut bait on a 23-year-old infielder who just hit .283 in AA. He was a third round pick too, the kind of guy that generally gets extra chances.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Gotta be more to the Reyaldo Navarro story, right? The Royals don't just cut bait on a 23-year-old infielder who just hit .283 in AA. He was a third round pick too, the kind of guy that generally gets extra chances.
    The Royals didn't cut bait on him, he became a free agent. They decided he wasn't worth the 40-man roster spot. He came to the Reds and saw his walk rate and power both improve from the previous season all while jumping up to Triple-A in the second half and keeping a rather low strikeout rate.

Third round picks do tend to get extra chances, but he wasn't the Royals pick, so they really didn't have the money tied up in him. Not that it mattered, because he was a free agent unless they added him to their roster. I wouldn't have at the time. But after the season he had with the Reds last year? Absolutely. Apparently the Orioles agreed because they went out and signed him to a big league deal this offseason despite no actual big league experience.

20. Likes:

HokieRed (04-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by maniem View Post
    Our old friend Choo struggling mightily so far: .135/.220/.463. I still think he has a few good seasons left, but i'm starting to wonder if his best seasons are behind him.
    Now he's hitting .104/.271/.188. I guess that's what you get when you make him play through not just one but two injuries nearly all season long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-m...b_5837958.html
    What started as a sprained ankle back in April for Texas Ranger Shin-Soo Choo, has now progressed into surgery to repair/remove "torn ankle cartilage." The details regarding the surgery are limited, but as a Manhattan reconstructive foot and ankle surgeon it's my guess is that he had osteochondral lesion repair surgery. Questions have arisen as to why one would wait five months to have surgery after an acute injury, but often with certain cartilage injuries surgery is not the first option.

How Will Choo Do?
    If Shin-Soo Choo did indeed have an osteochondral injury, the prognosis greatly depends on the severity of the injury. It generally seems responsible to not jump into ankle cartilage surgery, which seems to be the case with Choo. Because he requires surgery 5 months later, does not particularly suggest a worse outcome. His outcome will mainly depend on just how much cartilage damage he had after he sprained it. Osteochondral injuries can progress onto ankle arthritis in the long term but there is no indication at this point that is anywhere on the horizon for Choo.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/shin-...on-his-injury/
    On the other hand, there’s also bad news for Choo. He missed more than 30 days on the disabled list for his elbow, which puts him squarely on this table put together by Jeff Zimmerman in his recent piece on disabled list trends:

CHANGE IN AGE-ADJUSTED OPS, ON DL GREATER THAN 30 DAYS

Any of the bounce that Choo would get from projection system over-correction seems to disappear here. Not only is an elbow problem the worst for your power, but ankle problems aren’t great either, and Choo had both.
    In short, the Rangers did a really stupid thing, especially given Choo's big contract.

Turn Off Ads?