Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Virtual Vietnam Wall

The Virtual Vietnam Wall

A while back, my cousin sent me this link to the Virtual Wall site, which allows one to search the names on the Vietmam Veterans Memorial:

"This is really sobering. Click on the link below and find the state and city you lived in or the high school you went to and look at the names of those who lost their lives, "The Ultimate Sacrifice".

Click on the name and it will give details of the person's bio, medal and death.

First click on a state. When it opens, scroll down to the city and the names will appear. Then click on their names. It should show you picture of the person, or at least their bio and medals.

This really is an amazing web site. Someone spent a lot of time and effort to create it.
    Those who remember that time frame, or perhaps lost friends or family can look them up on this site.

Pass this link on to others, as many knew wonderful people whose names are listed."

http://www.virtualwall.org/index.html

You can also search by the military unit, outfits and battles among others. Click on full profile to show
    when an individual went in-country, the place and circumstances of death. You can see wall tracings by clicking on name rubbing. You can see photos of fallen compatriots in the Faces of Freedom section. Folks can add personal messages and memorial words for their loved ones.

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-25-2019),cumberlandreds (09-20-2019),Kingspoint (09-22-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Virtual Vietnam Wall

Thanks for that site. I already sent it to my dad.

I knew three people personally on that wall. One was a neighbor kid, and he was like a big brother to me. He used to help my dad cut wood, and because he was very musical, dad traded him a guitar in exchange for labor one fall. He joined the Marines and was killed a few months after arriving in Vietnam. I remember when he left he came up to the house in his full dress uniform to say goodbye, and afterwards my mom said, "He's never coming back. It always happens to good boys like him."

The whole thing was such a waste.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-20-2019),North (09-20-2019),Redsfaithful (09-23-2019)

I need to ask my dad about his time protecting the one tree in Minot, North Dakota. He enlisted to avoid being drafted and sent to Vietnam because he couldn't find a job or enroll in school because of his economic situation and his draft number being almost guaranteed to be called (which it did). He ended up getting his electrician training which he worked afterwards with IBEW all over the mid-atlantic and rust belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I need to ask my dad about his time protecting the one tree in Minot, North Dakota. He enlisted to avoid being drafted and sent to Vietnam because he couldn't find a job or enroll in school because of his economic situation and his draft number being almost guaranteed to be called (which it did). He ended up getting his electrician training which he worked afterwards with IBEW all over the mid-atlantic and rust belt.
    My sisters husband,who just passed away about a month ago, was drafted in 1967. He was extremely fortunate and was sent to West Germany instead of Viet Nam. I think I remember him saying he thought for sure he was going have go to Viet Nam when he got his draft notice.

For anyone interested in knowing more about this war they should watch the PBS series that was out a year or so ago. Very good and really makes you understand how we got involved and why we should have never been involved.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

North (09-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    My sisters husband,who just passed away about a month ago, was drafted in 1967. He was extremely fortunate and was sent to West Germany instead of Viet Nam. I think I remember him saying he thought for sure he was going have go to Viet Nam when he got his draft notice.

For anyone interested in knowing more about this war they should watch the PBS series that was out a year or so ago. Very good and really makes you understand how we got involved and why we should have never been involved.
    I mentioned in another thread that I joined in '71 right after my 17th birthday because I thought it gave me a better chance of picking my MOS and I was also sent to Germany. My older brother joined the Navy a couple years before and he ended up sailing around Alaska and the arctic. At least when we joined the ground war was ramping down, but your in-law was indeed fortunate.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-21-2019)

Wow, I just can't imagine how that time must have been for you guys. My dad was in the Army ASA, snooping on the Chinese until 1959. He enlisted because his draft number was low and he figured he'd have a better chance at a preferred post. He felt lucky to be picked for ASA. His younger brother also had a low number and chose to enlist in the Reserves as a way to avoid Vietnam.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Wow, I just can't imagine how that time must have been for you guys. My dad was in the Army ASA, snooping on the Chinese until 1959. He enlisted because his draft number was low and he figured he'd have a better chance at a preferred post. He felt lucky to be picked for ASA. His younger brother also had a low number and chose to enlist in the Reserves as a way to avoid Vietnam.
    The Reserves are always the first to go to war.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Reserves are always the first to go to war.
    I was under the impression that did not happen in the Vietnam era. My uncle spent his time in the reserves stateside.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I was under the impression that did not happen in the Vietnam era. My uncle spent his tfor many yeaime in the reserves stateside.
    Yes - that is so. My brother had just started work as a police officer, and because he had a low number in the draft lottery, they advised him to join the Reserves. Which he did, and remained a member for many years.
    Last edited by North; 09-22-2019 at 11:14 PM.

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-23-2019)

I was under the impression that did not happen in the Vietnam era. My uncle spent his time in the reserves stateside.
    That’s correct. In all the other wars, the reservists went first because they were the best trained and ready to deploy. But with the Vietnam war, Kennedy didn’t want to advertise the fact that we were actually going to war, so reservists stayed home. It went back to normal again with the Gulf wars.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-24-2019),Kingspoint (09-23-2019)

Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles. Parents, grandparents, co-workers, friends.

I heard or read somewhere, that when it comes down to it, there is really just four words that need be inscribed below the names...

"They were our children."

Here is the story about a child named Mark.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0wUsp2a1ic

Please pass it on.
    Last edited by North; 09-26-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    A while back, my cousin sent me this link to the Virtual Wall site, which allows one to search the names on the Vietmam Veterans Memorial:

"This is really sobering. Click on the link below and find the state and city you lived in or the high school you went to and look at the names of those who lost their lives, "The Ultimate Sacrifice".

Click on the name and it will give details of the person's bio, medal and death.

First click on a state. When it opens, scroll down to the city and the names will appear. Then click on their names. It should show you picture of the person, or at least their bio and medals.

This really is an amazing web site. Someone spent a lot of time and effort to create it.
    Those who remember that time frame, or perhaps lost friends or family can look them up on this site.

Pass this link on to others, as many knew wonderful people whose names are listed."

http://www.virtualwall.org/index.html

You can also search by the military unit, outfits and battles among others. Click on full profile to show
    when an individual went in-country, the place and circumstances of death. You can see wall tracings by clicking on name rubbing. You can see photos of fallen compatriots in the Faces of Freedom section. Folks can add personal messages and memorial words for their loved ones.
    Bump for Memorial Day.

Turn Off Ads?