Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Parker on HOF ballot

Dave Parker on HOF ballot

...In addition to Parker, Dwight Evans, Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Marvin Miller, Thurman Munson, Dale Murphy, Ted Simmons and Lou Whitaker are the candidates the Modern Baseball Era Committee will consider. All candidates are former players except for Miller, who was the head of the Major League Baseball Players Association from 1966 - 1982...

https://local12.com/sports/reds/form...jor-league-mlb

2. Likes:

marcshoe (11-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dave Parker on HOF ballot

Lou an Marvin Miller should get in no problem then Dwight Evans

5. Likes:

Chip R (11-04-2019),M2 (11-04-2019),redsmetz (11-06-2019),Ron Madden (11-04-2019)

Lou Wittaker should be in easily.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

7. Likes:

Big Klu (11-04-2019),Coopdaddy67 (11-04-2019),mth123 (11-04-2019),Ron Madden (11-04-2019),Tom Servo (11-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Lou Wittaker should be in easily.
    Lou Whitaker is the best player, other than the steroid and gambling guys, who is not in the Hall of Fame. He should be in easily. Dwight Evans, Tommy John and Marvin Miller would be my other choices from the ballot. I'm a big hall guy, but the others aren't good enough IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Tommy John should get in lol. How many Players can say they have a major Baseball surgery named after them? That should fit under the Contributions to the game theme like Marvin Miller.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-05-2019)

Sorry, but I wouldn't vote for Dave Parker. 40.1WAR career guy and ppl are still debating about Votto who is already at 60.2WAR.

12. Likes:

Todd Gack (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Tommy John should get in lol. How many Players can say they have a major Baseball surgery named after them? That should fit under the Contributions to the game theme like Marvin Miller.
    I agree, but he also played for 26 years, won 288 games. He probably spent the majority of his career as a 3rd starter or so, but he was a reliable one for a long, long time. He gets in for a 26 year career and paving the way for TJ surgery. Had he not rehabbed correctly and made such a successful comeback, the technique that has saved so many careers in the last 45 years or so may have been abandoned altogether.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-05-2019),Old school 1983 (11-06-2019),REDREAD (11-06-2019),redsmetz (11-06-2019)

Whitaker and Simmons should be no brainers.

16. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Whitaker and Simmons should be no brainers.
    Agree with Whitaker. Disagree about Simmons. Never finished in the top 5 of MVP voting. 50.3 WAR is solid but not good enough even for a C (keep in mind WAR is adjusted for position).

Whitaker
    Simmons
    Evans
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

19. Likes:

goreds2 (11-05-2019),Revering4Blue (11-04-2019)

Whitaker should be a no brainer. He should have been in on the regular ballot.

Marvin Miller the same. He gave the players the courage to strike to go all in for free agency. which brought about enormous wealth for all including the owners.

I would be OK for Tommy John to get in on a special cause. Like someone else said if he had not rehabbed properly and took it seriously the succeeding generations of bad elbows may have never been fixed. Also he was a very good pitcher. He was the Dodgers ace after he came back from TJ surgery and was one of the Yankees top pitcher for a few seasons too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

Chip R (11-05-2019),North (11-05-2019),Number_Fourteen (11-06-2019),redsmetz (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I might point out that Calvin Arthroscopic still isn't in.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

23. Likes:

klw (11-09-2019),Revering4Blue (11-06-2019)

If the voters were players making obscene salaries Marvin Miller would have the HOF renamed the Marvin Miller Memorial HOF. The absolute worst players in the league are still pulling down a half million bucks a season.
    It kind of astonishes me that every parent of any kid with any baseball talent at all doesn't make their kid play baseball every year regardless of school grades.. Can you even imagine having a 12 year old at home who could already throw 90 mph sitting in his bedroom playing video games instead? I'd be like, "Get your butt out there and start throwing kid." LOL
    In many ways it seems utterly absurd that we don't have anywhere near the same number of baseball fields as we had when many of us old geezers were kids. Baseball salaries skyrocked and the fields just disappeared.. Something is wrong with that picture.
    Last edited by mamell; 11-06-2019 at 09:05 AM.

25. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-06-2019),Revering4Blue (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree, but he also played for 26 years, won 288 games. He probably spent the majority of his career as a 3rd starter or so, but he was a reliable one for a long, long time. He gets in for a 26 year career and paving the way for TJ surgery. Had he not rehabbed correctly and made such a successful comeback, the technique that has saved so many careers in the last 45 years or so may have been abandoned altogether.
    Tommy John is kind of like Phil Neikro and Don Sutton... the precedent is that if you pitch for a long long time, even if you were never really an "ace' but you hung around long enough, you are in..
    Not sure I would have designed it that way, but kind of hard to turn Tommy J away based on that.. (There's probably even better examples of pitchers that made it in largely due to longevity, not domination)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

27. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-06-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Whitaker should be a no brainer. He should have been in on the regular ballot.

Marvin Miller the same. He gave the players the courage to strike to go all in for free agency. which brought about enormous wealth for all including the owners.

I would be OK for Tommy John to get in on a special cause. Like someone else said if he had not rehabbed properly and took it seriously the succeeding generations of bad elbows may have never been fixed. Also he was a very good pitcher. He was the Dodgers ace after he came back from TJ surgery and was one of the Yankees top pitcher for a few seasons too.
    I'm in agreement on Tommy John. I think any player who had an original, significant, lasting impact on the game is worthy of the Hall. The namesake surgery certainly fits that criteria.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?