Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    No one said you were the only one, just that there are wildly differing opinions (and values) on Encarnacion-Strand.

As I stated earlier, if he continues to rake in AA, he'll get consideration as a top 100 prospect. Perhaps not from Fangraphs, but from others.

That brings me to an interesting side question:

- IMO, Baseball America is largely living on yesteryear's hype and the fact that they were among the first to work in the prospect field. Baseball Prospectus also has largely been an outlier. Fangraphs has gone through multiple prospect evaluators, and now seems remarkably similar to BP-- both seem to push the odd player up and down (IMO) in order to generate clicks and interest. The Athletic has a couple of guys-- Eno Sarris and Keith Law, who've been doing this for a long, long time and have the spotty track records to back it up. Which publication/ web site do you trust most for prospect evaluation? Why?
    I agree with this. I think fangraphs is the most stubborn with their evals. Once they have made up their mind on a prospect, he is either going to be in the top 100 until he is effectively out of baseball or has graduated. Encarnacion-Stroud is a good example, lighting up the minors this year and they will not move off their pre-season eval.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Which publication/ web site do you trust most for prospect evaluation? Why?
    Kiley McDaniel to me is the guy I trust the most which is why it sucks he got put behind the paywall at ESPN.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I see the Philly catching prospect went to the Angels for Syndegaard. Wasn’t aware of that. Hmm. Reds could have had him I guess.
    O'Hoppe was traded for Brandon Marsh a CF with 5 years of control left. Phillies traded Moniak and Jadiel Sanchez for Syndergaard. Phils should've got a better return than Marsh for giving up O'Hoppe.
    Last edited by JCM11; 08-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Kiley McDaniel to me is the guy I trust the most which is why it sucks he got put behind the paywall at ESPN.
    Good call on Kiley McDaniel.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

The Reds rank 9th in Kiley McDaniel's post-MLB-trade-deadline farm system rankings. He previously had them ranked 20th during the preseason.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    The Reds rank 9th in Kiley McDaniel's post-MLB-trade-deadline farm system rankings. He previously had them ranked 20th during the preseason.
    I think it’s interesting to point out that the 20th ranking would have included key graduates, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft.

Considering we lost so much at the top, and generally have had middling results on the farm this year, it’s a testament to the talent acquired to make the jump to 9th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2022),Revering4Blue (08-13-2022),RiverRat13 (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I think it’s interesting to point out that the 20th ranking would have included key graduates, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft.

Considering we lost so much at the top, and generally have had middling results on the farm this year, it’s a testament to the talent acquired to make the jump to 9th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This runs contrary to the twitter outrage takes but I think this is a really good way of looking at it.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-13-2022)

I don't have a problem with the 9th ranking. The pitching has been pretty disappointing this year, and some of our best prospects are well under 20 years old. I do feel pretty confident that the Reds have 5 or 6 position players in the minors that will be able to help them win games in the big leagues by the end of 2024. I think they're going to have to acquire some pitching from outside the organization.

12. Likes:

Rowsdower (08-08-2022)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

He also called Elly the most exciting young talent in MiLB.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

C Hayden Jones of Daytona had two, not one, but two strike-em-out-throw-em-out DP's tonight.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/flying-...ox,game=670449

https://www.milb.com/player/hayden-jones-681348

Jones' CS rate is 32% on the season before tonight in 53 attempts.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=jones-002hay

Tortuga's pitchers struck out 16 tonight, giving up only 2 hits and walking 4. Andrew Moore was the only pitcher not striking anyone out, but he pitched a scoreless inning.

19 K's for Sam Benschoter over his last two starts (9 innings total).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-10-2022 at 09:54 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

https://www.milb.com/player/jefferson-lopez-686627

Someone to keep an eye on now that he seems to have mastered the ACL League. Always interested in anyone who can post a 0.770 WHIP with 27 K's in 20.2 innings as a Reliever whatever league it's in. And, there's much better data on him than just WHIP that shows it's not a fluke.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-10-2022 at 10:07 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

With all the new toys on the farm what’s not getting much attention is Austin Hendrick. Hitting the ball a bit better over the last month. So far his august has been .271/.447/.621

If he can end the year strong and show some promise that’s huge for the reds.

17. Likes:

Benihana (08-12-2022),mth123 (08-12-2022),Old school 1983 (08-12-2022),Patrick Bateman (08-12-2022),RED VAN HOT (08-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    With all the new toys on the farm what’s not getting much attention is Austin Hendrick. Hitting the ball a bit better over the last month. So far his august has been .271/.447/.621

If he can end the year strong and show some promise that’s huge for the reds.
    Thanks for posting this, I’ve noticed it, very encouraging. HS draftee, in COVID era, maybe just needed more time to get going.

Another name is TJ Friedl. He couldn’t hit major league pitching in his trial and was returned to AAA in June. OPS .984 in June, .878 in July, .926 in August. K rate usually below 20%, walk rate at 12% at AAA this year.

On Friedl, he may just be a AAA wonder, but he certainly has earned another shot as a September call up.

19. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (08-13-2022),Wayne Krivsky (08-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I’ve noticed it, very encouraging. HS draftee, in COVID era, maybe just needed more time to get going.

Another name is TJ Friedl. He couldn’t hit major league pitching in his trial and was returned to AAA in June. OPS .984 in June, .878 in July, .926 in August. K rate usually below 20%, walk rate at 12% at AAA this year.

On Friedl, he may just be a AAA wonder, but he certainly has earned another shot as a September call up.
    September rosters only go from 26 to 28 this year, so they’ll probably just bring up two pitchers to help cover the lost innings from Mahle and Castillo. Not sure though if they have to bring up one pitcher and one position player.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    September rosters only go from 26 to 28 this year, so they’ll probably just bring up two pitchers to help cover the lost innings from Mahle and Castillo. Not sure though if they have to bring up one pitcher and one position player.
    The better approach might be to dump a few guys who don’t figure. Then bring up 4-5 kids from AAA, give them a taste. They could cut any number of relievers, maybe Aquino, if they want to make room.

Bring up Friedl, Steer, a couple of pitchers, maybe Williamson if he’d benefit.

Not a huge number in light of current rules, but as a rebuilding team it’s an opportunity.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-13-2022 at 08:43 AM.

Turn Off Ads?