Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Aug. 30th, 2006 CIN v. LAD .. *Fingers Crossed*

Re: Aug. 30th, 2006 CIN v. LAD .. *Fingers Crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    There we go - 6 straight losses. Anyone think we can sweep the Pads? Not bloody likely. Season is over.

I've seen crazier things happen. It's not likely, but with the amount of luck involved in the average game of baseball, it's the 1 sport where you see a 6game losing streak turned into a 6 game winning streak.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14 View Post
    Clayton is utter definition of worthless.
    Wasn't he described as "an adequate alternative to Felipe Lopez?"

Or was it that Chris Denorfia was "ready to move into right field and contribute as well as Austin Kearns?"

I forget.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'll take issue with Marty's words on that every time considering that everything done since before the ASB was allegedly to change the team's makeup and chemistry.

Marty's full of poo. Winning breeds perception of effort. Losing breeds the opposite. The defining characteristic isn't effort. It's talent.
    Wrong. Both are important.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Then the moves that were positioned to change team "culture" (at best) didn't change team culture. That's not a player issue.
    Winning breeds chemistry. Losing breeds cancer in the clubhouse. I suspect it's always been that way.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Unfortunately, nobody is currently giving any of those away right now, which is why it's neccessary to look under every rock for avaiable pitching.
    IOW's--we're doomed to relive this moment over and over for the next 20 years?

I refuse to believe that throwing everyone else's trash at this team will make it win. I refuse to believe that trading talent for trash will get us to the playoffs.

I'm just sick.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 08-31-2006 at 12:58 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

The west coast trip will say me some $$. I have tickets for 9/16 at wrigley and was looking into getting the whole series to watch the race in person but I think I may just stay home after this. It's too bad that we will have to go out like this, where were we in 99?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Wrong. Both are important.

Talent is the difference between 90 and 70 wins. Effort is the difference between 90 and 92 wins.

Obviously effort is important, but it's not what wins the majority of games.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

That'll do it...it was fun while it lasted.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Talent is the difference between 90 and 70 wins. Effort is the difference between 90 and 92 wins.

Obviously effort is important, but it's not what wins the majority of games.
    Well put. Talent is the deciding factor of how good a team is. Chemistry and effort can make up a few games here or there.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Now I know you've lost it...
    I, too, can give all the effort in the world. I just don't have the talent to play at this level.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I agree. When you are winning, you look like you are full of fire and spirit and vigor. When you are losing, you look tired and listless. Especially when you are on a big losing streak. Who is not trying out there? I just saw Jr. haul ass to 1st on a nubber to the left side. I know a lot of people do not like Aurilia but the man comes to play every single day wherever you put him. A lot of that perception comes from not scoring a lot. Hey, this same team was lauded for coming back from 3 runs down last Thursday against the Giants. It was another heroic comeback. Now they are lollygaggers?
    Exactly, Chip. There's nothing about the effort level of this team I don't like. It was the same in April, May, and June. This Reds team fought the odds in the first half and came away a game over .500 with a -13 Run Differential. They fought and fought and never gave up. Fast forward to now...this team, since the ASB, has fought and fought to keep up with a -15 Run Differential post ASB Run Diff through tonight.

There isn't a team in the game that can keep up with that and expect "heart" or "effort" to do the job sans the talent to produce much better RD results. Problem is that when the talent fails, "heart" and "effort" become the things folks look at. That's unfortunate, because it's just not how baseball works; particularly when you can't score more Runs than you opponents.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I refuse to believe that throwing everone else's trash at this team will make it win. I refuse to believe that trading talent for trash will get us to the playoffs.

I'm just sick.
    I'm not saying that, but if your plan is to go out and get a bunch of really really good picthers, well that's easier said than done.

Krivsky can go out and try his hardest to get some real pitching, but it's very difficult (ie. see the price we gave up for middle relief help). It never hurts to go after low risk projects when there are huge dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I refuse to believe that throwing everone else's trash at this team will make it win. I refuse to believe that trading talent for trash will get us to the playoffs.

I'm just sick.
    You are being unrealistic.

Did you realize it would have taken a miracle of biblical proportions for Krivsky to get this pitching staff to league average this season?

Wanting and reality are two WAY different things.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The thing about the Kearns and Lopez trade is, it killed this year and the future.

Oh but because they are struggling with the Nationals means the trade wasn't that bad right?

Exactly, Chip. There's nothing about the effort level of this team I don't like. It was the same in April, May, and June. This Reds team fought the odds in the first half and came away a game over .500 with a -13 Run Differential. They fought and fought and never gave up. Fast forward to now...this team, since the ASB, has fought and fought to keep up with a -15 Run Differential post ASB Run Diff through tonight.

There isn't a team in the game that can keep up with that and expect "heart" or "effort" to do the job sans the talent to produce much better RD results. Problem is that when the talent fails, "heart" and "effort" become the things folks look at. That's unfortunate, because it's just not how baseball works; particularly when you can't score more Runs than you opponents.
    I agree with what you're saying, Steel, especially that second paragraph. But I think that to truly have this discussion, we would need to define "talent" -- because when I hear that word, I think of sheer natural ability, and I suspect you're talking about more than that (and effort may even be a part of that?) Offensively, I do believe that this team has the talent to score more runs since the All-Star break than it has. This does not follow that I believe that their failure to do so is indicative of a lack of effort.

I guess the bottom line for me is that there are a gazillion factors that go into whether a team will win any given game. Many of those factors are decided in how a team performs in the split seconds of the game; talent and effort are both part of those decisions, yes, but frankly at this level I expect every single player to have talent and put forth effort long before they take the field. They are professionals. They got where they are because they're talented, and they're obligated to put forth effort to stay where they are.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?