Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2022/2023 Ohio State Mens Basketball Thread

Re: 2022/2023 Ohio State Mens Basketball Thread

Ah, I missed 1985. 1985-2000 was a totally different ballgame, we are talking more recent memory than that. What do those stats show since 2010? Or even 2000.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ah, I missed 1985. 1985-2000 was a totally different ballgame, we are talking more recent memory than that. What do those stats show since 2010? Or even 2000.
    Here's 2000-2012 from an article I found

Code:
    Conference             Wins	F/16 	F/4	Championships
    ACC			148	38	11	6
    Big East		114	29	9	2
    Big Ten			110	28	10	1
    Big 12			109	29	8	1
    SEC			106	26	6	3
    Pac 12			83	23	4	0

Best of Rest						
    A-10			25	7	0	0
    WCC			21	6	0	0
    Horizon			20	5	2	0
    MVC			14	5	0	0
    Colonial		13	2	2	0
    MWC			11	2	0	0
    MAC			8	2	0	0
    C-USA			8	2	0	0

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-21-2023)

This should be a 4-5 bid conference.
    Which 3-4 Big 10 teams are you taking out of this year's tournament?

And what slighted mid-majors are you going to put in?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Which 3-4 Big 10 teams are you taking out of this year's tournament?

And what slighted mid-majors are you going to put in?
    Michigan St
    Iowa - absurd this team made the tourney
    Illinois
    Penn State

I think Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern are only teams that were locks

Michigan St
    Iowa - absurd this team made the tourney
    Illinois
    Penn State

I think Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern are only teams that were locks
    Now you're confusing me. Pulling a 7 seed out of the tourney is nuts in its own right, how was Northwestern a lock and Illinois shouldn't be in? NW finished one game up in conference, but their best non-conference win is Liberty, while Illinois beat a pair of #2 seeds (Texas and UCLA) in non-conference play. I have to imagine that would hold more value than beating one extra mediocre Big 10 team.

And who are you putting in over Michigan St.?

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Now you're confusing me. Pulling a 7 seed out of the tourney is nuts in its own right, how was Northwestern a lock and Illinois shouldn't be in? NW finished one game up in conference, but their best non-conference win is Liberty, while Illinois beat a pair of #2 seeds (Texas and UCLA) in non-conference play. I have to imagine that would hold more value than beating one extra mediocre Big 10 team.

And who are you putting in over Michigan St.?
    I don't really have to pick who deserved to go over MSU, I will simply say a team that won more than 19 games. If you fail to win 20, I do not think you should be eligible. Similar to how football has the 6 win cutoff.

I don't really have to pick who deserved to go over MSU, I will simply say a team that won more than 19 games. If you fail to win 20, I do not think you should be eligible. Similar to how football has the 6 win cutoff.
    Don't sugar coat it. Say what you mean. If you're thinking that Toledo deserved a bid, just say so

11. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Don't sugar coat it. Say what you mean. If you're thinking that Toledo deserved a bid, just say so
    Nope, that is not what I am getting at and is completely unrelated to Toledo. I think the Big Ten has been overrated for years in college basketball and they shouldn't get as many bids as they get.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The fact that Nevada, who received the last at-large bid, proceeded to get absolutely blown out by an Arizona State team weaker than ALL of the B1G teams that qualified for the tourney doesn't exactly help the mid-majors are getting hosed by the NCAA selection committee argument.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2023)

Michigan State just beat a 2 seed but shouldn't have gotten in? I don't think I understand the argument - if anything they were probably a little under seeded.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2023),Revering4Blue (03-21-2023),Sea Ray (03-21-2023)

Nope, that is not what I am getting at and is completely unrelated to Toledo. I think the Big Ten has been overrated for years in college basketball and they shouldn't get as many bids as they get.
    The NCAA has pretty much released their system for how they select teams for the tournament. Anymore you see most of the bracketologists predict 67 of the 68 teams or even all 68 team who make the tournament. The thing is, you may think the B1G is overrated, but the rest of college basketball doesn't. There is an argument between disappointing and being unqualified.

Your argument against MSU making the field would have more standing had there not been 16+ teams they have been ranked above who made the field. A #7 seed has do doubt that they were going to make the tournament.

FWIW I tend to think of the teams on the bubble, the nod should go to a mid major over a power conference team. A power conference team had has plenty of chances to earn their bid, give the toss up to the smaller guy. But I also think you throw one of those aforementioned B1G teams in a one bid league, and they are winning that league with relative ease.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 03-21-2023 at 03:43 PM.

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Michigan State just beat a 2 seed but shouldn't have gotten in? I don't think I understand the argument - if anything they were probably a little under seeded.
    They were 19-12 coming into the tourney. I just don’t think they should make it. It’s like the Alabama should have made the CFP argument with 2 losses and no conference championship appearance. Does the regular season just absolutely not matter for some teams? MSU won 4 more games than OSU this year and this is the worst OSU team in literal decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    And Fairleigh Dickinson just beat a 1 seed. Who cares? Fairleigh Dickinson was underseeded?

And Fairleigh Dickinson just beat a 1 seed. Who cares? Fairleigh Dickinson was underseeded?
    I think most people view any worse seed winning as an upset, but I think a lot of times it's more the committee screwed up. Sometimes pretty egregiously, often because a small school wasn't given enough respect.

It's a judgment call, of course a lot of upsets are genuine surprises, but then you have situations where a worse seed is favored by Vegas - is that really an upset? It's just people sitting in a room making these decisions and they get it wrong a fair amount.

Michigan State is a 2 point favorite over Kansas State right now, so I do think it's fair to say they might have been slightly underseeded. Not like it's a huge deal, but they arguably could have hung a 5 or 6 on them.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

22. Likes:

If you fail to win 20, I do not think you should be eligible.
    An arbitrary number like that doesn't work. 19 wins in the Big 10 means more than 20 in C-USA which means a bunch more than 25 in the MEAC. Schedules matter.

24. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?