Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor League Notes, 3/23

Minor League Notes, 3/23

Doug is informing us that Chase Petty is behind due to forearm issues. No bueno, that. Proof the Reds can't have nice things, I suppose.

Tyler Callihan seems to be the talk of minor league camp-- he's hitting the ball hard and consistently. Carlos Jorge and Edwin Arroyo have also been praised in tweets.

Braylin Minier, a former big-time international free agent, has been released at age 19. That makes it easier to determine who's playing in Daytona, but only a little bit. They'll apparently end up with two or three SS playing across the infield at the same time. That might affect the pitching numbers for Tortuga pitchers.

James Marinan was also released. He found some success for about six weeks a couple of seasons ago, then took a giant step backward again. He would have been a part of a pretty large group of A+/ AA pitchers. Similar to Minier, his release makes figuring out slots a bit easier, but definitely not opaque.

Both Cam Collier and Sal Stewart are expected to start in Daytona this season.

Bryce Bonnin, Hector Rodriguez, and Andrew Moore are all on the shelf for at least half the season.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-25-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Notes, 3/23

That Floro trade that several people like because that’s what the Reds should be doing. Trading relievers, who they can’t develop themselves for possible future pieces. Only works if you have competent scouting. Floro continues to pitch and not that badly meanwhile while the Reds struggle for more than 1-2 competent relievers

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-25-2023),Bourgeois Zee (03-23-2023),mth123 (03-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    That Floro trade that several people like because that’s what the Reds should be doing. Trading relievers, who they can’t develop themselves for possible future pieces. Only works if you have competent scouting. Floro continues to pitch and not that badly meanwhile while the Reds struggle for more than 1-2 competent relievers
    One reason why I worry about churn.

That said, the Reds have, in the past year, developed one elite reliever and three above average(ish or better) starters, plus Reiver Sanmartin (who looks like a decent bet to be a solid middle reliever). The season before, they developed Tony Santillan, who might be a decent relief arm if he can get healthy and Vlad Gutierez, who has very good if inconsistent stuff as a starter and might be a pretty solid relief arm when he gets healthy. The year before that, they developed Tejay Antone, who has been lights out when healthy (but struggles to remain so).

That's as long, fwiw, as Johnson's been a part of the decision-making process.

We should perhaps revise our thought process on how well the Reds develop pitchers.

7. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (03-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    One reason why I worry about churn.

That said, the Reds have, in the past year, developed one elite reliever and three above average(ish or better) starters, plus Reiver Sanmartin (who looks like a decent bet to be a solid middle reliever). The season before, they developed Tony Santillan, who might be a decent relief arm if he can get healthy and Vlad Gutierez, who has very good if inconsistent stuff as a starter and might be a pretty solid relief arm when he gets healthy. The year before that, they developed Tejay Antone, who has been lights out when healthy (but struggles to remain so).

That's as long, fwiw, as Johnson's been a part of the decision-making process.

We should perhaps revise our thought process on how well the Reds develop pitchers.

I agree the scouting is better. Johnson helps although his pitching philosophy for GAP for strikeouts and getting hitters to hit the ball in the air don’t mesh here. Not in this park. Throw more pitches and then having then hit it in the air. However if he helps develop starters like the big 3 plus Williamson then great.

My grammar was off on the previous post but the main thing was doing things like TB and Oak or Cle only works for those teams when their scouting is that good. Their development people are that good.

I read about pitching prospects that the numbers don’t match that. Understanding numbers do not confirm that status. I always go back to the Franco trade for Landestoy. John had about a 5 ERA in double A in the pitching development great Dodgers. Of course what do you expect for Rafael Landestoy.

Wouldn't it be nice to grab another John Franco for a modern-day Rafael Landestoy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to grab another John Franco for a modern-day Rafael Landestoy?
    Yes. I will take getting a Jeff Shaw off the heap or getting back Jeff Montgomery for Van Snider. Not like the Reds needed more OF but sure let’s trade badly needed pitching in Montgomery for another OF. Maybe someone will trade for Myers and give them the equivalent

Yeah I got that one wrong
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Yes. I will take getting a Jeff Shaw off the heap or getting back Jeff Montgomery for Van Snider. Not like the Reds needed more OF but sure let’s trade badly needed pitching in Montgomery for another OF. Maybe someone will trade for Myers and give them the equivalent
    Shaw should be rested and he is a local fella.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

I hated that Floro trade. He was a nice arm on a team that was somewhat competitive at the time of the trade if I remember right. Marinan was like a poor man’s Sal Romano

14. Likes:

Kc61 (03-26-2023)

Regarding AAA, we got a new playoff format for 2023: The season will be split into halves, with the 1st half ending on 6/25 The IL's 1st half winner hosts the IL's 2nd half winner in a best-of-3 championship series. Winner of that goes to Vegas for the Triple-A Championship Game

T

16. Likes:

UKFlounder (03-29-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Regarding AAA, we got a new playoff format for 2023: The season will be split into halves, with the 1st half ending on 6/25 The IL's 1st half winner hosts the IL's 2nd half winner in a best-of-3 championship series. Winner of that goes to Vegas for the Triple-A Championship Game

T
    Of course, Louisville will finish 2nd twice, and watch the playoffs while finishing with the league's best overall record.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-29-2023),muddie (03-29-2023),UKFlounder (03-29-2023)

Steven Haijar was sent to Cleveland to complete the Will Benson trade.

20. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?