Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nascent OH return to school plans

Nascent OH return to school plans

It's going to be one heck of a task IMO.

From the Plain Dealer:

Ohio plan envisions masks for students and teachers, at-home temperature checks when schools reopen

https://www.cleveland.com/education/...ls-reopen.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nascent OH return to school plans

Probably not going to send my kids back to school if everyone is masked, and I'm not going to go into that decision or why on this board, but I don't think I'll be alone there. And I'm pro-mask in general otherwise, so if I feel this way then good luck with all the people who don't want to wear masks in more typical situations.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

State policy as it is, of course schools would require masks. If you don't think masks are a necessity at school, how do you possibly require/suggest them outside of school in places such as the mall?

It is interesting to see what they're thinking about but I see a lot of issues. The biggest is that schools are not set up for social distancing. Many are overcrowded as it is and their funding is going down, not up. In many schools there simply isn't the space for students. If there are a lot of folks like RF that keep their kids out, OK, but I don't think that'll be the case. Very few families are prepared to home school kids

I prefer 5 days with masks to 2 days without.

6. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-14-2020)

I don’t think you necessarily have to homeschool them if you take a year off. Just start 8th grade a year from now if your kid was going into 8th grade. Yes, it sucks, but millions of kids all over the world lose their childhood every year for whatever reason. The way it was described above isn’t even a functional school. Who are we kidding. What we would end up with is a bunch of sick teachers and staff just like we have in nursing homes, and it will be a debacle. That is, assuming that this virus is as contagious as they say.

I think at a minimum they would have to get the National Guard involved and let them do the cleaning and temperature checks and things like that so teachers can concentrate on teaching and kids can concentrate on learning. They already are doing it in nursing homes, and honestly they would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    State policy as it is, of course schools would require masks.
    Can't say you're making any sense here when it's not a state requirement to wear a mask in retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Can't say you're making any sense here when it's not a state requirement to wear a mask in retail.
    Don't know what you're getting at so I'll explain my reasoning. The Governor and his health director are strongly recommending that masks be worn, thus it makes sense that they'd require it in buildings they own such as schools

Don't know what you're getting at so I'll explain my reasoning. The Governor and his health director are strongly recommending that masks be worn, thus it makes sense that they'd require it in buildings they own such as schools
    The state of Ohio doesn't own local schools though?

The state of Ohio doesn't own local schools though?
    Public schools are run and controlled by the state. Do you have a point to make?

The Governor controls a lot more about the Bexley public schools than he does Easton Shopping Center

Plus, the governor has the power to require that masks be worn even at private manufacturers, even including visitors that go in there. The only exemption so far have been customers that go to retail stores. We can debate whether children should wear a mask, but I don’t think it’s even a question that the governor has authority to mandate it.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Plus, the governor has the power to require that masks be worn even at private manufacturers, even including visitors that go in there. The only exemption so far have been customers that go to retail stores. We can debate whether children should wear a mask, but I don’t think it’s even a question that the governor has authority to mandate it.
    He definitely has the right to demand schools require a mask. Whether he can demand that customers at Ace Hardware don one, that's another discussion.

He definitely has the right to demand schools require a mask. Whether he can demand that customers at Ace Hardware don one, that's another discussion.
    I’m pretty sure he could make it a condition that Ace Hardware even opens. But he chose not to go down that road.

Public schools are run and controlled by the state
    ... and local school districts.

My point was the state of Ohio doesn't own local school buildings as you said. I think a kids in masks requirement would see a court challenge from more than one local district in Ohio, but we'll see I guess.

Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on whether it's ok, or needed, but my kids would be staying home. It's a half-assed measure that wouldn't be doing much, like the 2 day a week proposal, and like most of what we're doing now.

If parents didn't need a place to store their kids during working hours I think it would be fairly obvious what is necessary, and it wouldn't be this.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don’t think it’s even a question that the governor has authority to mandate it.
    The entire thing is a moot point, he caved over retail customers because the parent of an autistic kid called him, so I don't think he's going to be for this in the end.

If parents didn't need a place to store their kids during working hours I think it would be fairly obvious what is necessary, and it wouldn't be this.
    What would it be? I’m not being snarky, I truly don’t know what you mean.

Turn Off Ads?