Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

I kinda think that if there was an explosion that massive anywhere in the world, people would immediately start speculating terrorist attack. And I mean, there is quite a lot of violence and tensions in the Middle East. I’ll be the last one to dispute the racism of America in general, but I don’t think that’s necessarily what it’s about in this scenario.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol no

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rut/index.html

He clearly made that claim up on the spot based on it happening in the Middle East, which gets back to my earlier question/post.
    I can understand being skeptical of any official statements on... well, anything. But your source is a CNN article citing anonymous sources.

But the defense officials, who declined to be identified so they could speak freely, said they didn't know what the President was talking about.
    And you think this is an open and shut case of Trump making this up!? You do know that CNN has an axe to grind here right?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I can understand being skeptical of any official statements on... well, anything. But your source is a CNN article citing anonymous sources.

And you think this is an open and shut case of Trump making this up!? You do know that CNN has an axe to grind here right?
    lol

5. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-06-2020),WrongVerb (08-06-2020)

The president would never make stuff up. He's quite well informed about almost everything but is perfectly willing to say "I don't know" when he doesn't have a good answer.

Anonymous defense officials though? Sounds like the lamestream media just making things up against to make God Emperor look bad again. Amirite?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

7. Likes:

dougdirt (08-06-2020),marcshoe (08-06-2020),RFS62 (08-06-2020),SteelSD (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The president would never make stuff up. He's quite well informed about almost everything but is perfectly willing to say "I don't know" when he doesn't have a good answer.

Anonymous defense officials though? Sounds like the lamestream media just making things up against to make God Emperor look bad again. Amirite?
    RedsManRick. I remember reading your many of your post and thinking "thats a pretty good argument." You often put evidence behind your claims. Now I read this.

Did you even read all of my post? In the first sentence I talked about legitimate skepticism. And now your response is to pretend you can read my mind and sarcastically imply that my devotion to Trump makes me blind to reason. What do you know about my political views? It is obvious to me very little. And what do you know about any of this explosion? That is central topic of this thread. Do you have any inside sources you wish to share?

I do not consider smugness to be a persuasive argument. Do you have anything else of substance to add or do you want to continue mocking me for daring to question the objectivity of these reporters and their anonymous sources? I am trying to sort this out. But I have skepticism toward both sides. Your reply leads me to believe you are very selective in your skepticism.

9. Likes:

Rojo (08-06-2020)

Politics should be reserved for the politics area.

If anyone is interested, The NYT's podcast "The Daily" has a good first person account from one of their reporters who is stationed there. She was injured in the explosion (needed a few wounds stitched up).

RedsManRick. I remember reading your many of your post and thinking "thats a pretty good argument." You often put evidence behind your claims. Now I read this.

Did you even read all of my post? In the first sentence I talked about legitimate skepticism. And now your response is to pretend you can read my mind and sarcastically imply that my devotion to Trump makes me blind to reason. What do you know about my political views? It is obvious to me very little. And what do you know about any of this explosion? That is central topic of this thread. Do you have any inside sources you wish to share?

I do not consider smugness to be a persuasive argument. Do you have anything else of substance to add or do you want to continue mocking me for daring to question the objectivity of these reporters and their anonymous sources? I am trying to sort this out. But I have skepticism toward both sides. Your reply leads me to believe you are very selective in your skepticism.
    A Russian ship ran out of money in 2013, illegally docked in Beirut, and left behind 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate. About a year later they moved it off the ship and put it in a warehouse. Several people were trying to get the Lebanon government to move, sell or dispose of the ammonium nitrate, but they didn't because well they aren't very good at governing. They also stored explosives in the same building. 2 days ago while fixing a metal door by welding it, a fire started that was accelerated by the explosives and ultimately blew up 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate that leveled the city.

That's what happened. You can go to any reputable source you want (including CNN) and you'll get that story.

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-06-2020),SteelSD (08-07-2020),WrongVerb (08-06-2020)

Port Chicago type of mishap

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    A Russian ship ran out of money in 2013, illegally docked in Beirut, and left behind 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate. About a year later they moved it off the ship and put it in a warehouse. Several people were trying to get the Lebanon government to move, sell or dispose of the ammonium nitrate, but they didn't because well they aren't very good at governing. They also stored explosives in the same building. 2 days ago while fixing a metal door by welding it, a fire started that was accelerated by the explosives and ultimately blew up 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate that leveled the city.

That's what happened. You can go to any reputable source you want (including CNN) and you'll get that story.
    Okay, fair enough. Let's call this the leading hypothesis. It may turn out exactly as you just described. But I'd like to maintain an open mind for awhile. I don't reject the bomb hypothesis just because I find Trump disagreeable. And our media has a nasty habit of sourcing each other instead of getting into the details of those directly involved. I'll keep an open mind. But I am growing weary of being brow-beaten by people parroting their favored form of filtered news. Is that unreasonable?

16. Likes:

Rojo (08-11-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I would think any terrorist organization worth its salt would have claimed responsibility by now.

Accidents do happen, and despite the geographic location, it's not unreasonable to think that this was a horrific accident, just as is being claimed.

If more information comes to light to suggest this was some sort of attack (like, say, an incendiary device was used to detonate the explosive material), then we can change our ideas. But that's not what this appears to be.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I would think any terrorist organization worth its salt would have claimed responsibility by now.
    I was thinking Israel. But, you know, I'm a hater.

Okay, fair enough. Let's call this the leading hypothesis. It may turn out exactly as you just described. But I'd like to maintain an open mind for awhile. I don't reject the bomb hypothesis just because I find Trump disagreeable. And our media has a nasty habit of sourcing each other instead of getting into the details of those directly involved. I'll keep an open mind. But I am growing weary of being brow-beaten by people parroting their favored form of filtered news. Is that unreasonable?
    Is what unreasonable?

Update!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol no

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rut/index.html

He clearly made that claim up on the spot based on it happening in the Middle East, which gets back to my earlier question/post.

A brief anecdote then my point. Last year one of my oldest friends (+30 years) was working with a large group on planning the US withdrawal. He is an officer in the Navy. An honest guy. He was not in charge of thesis group, but he was one of the few people that knew that plan, the risks, the contingencies very well. After this plan was complete, Trump announced the withdrawal. Many of my friend's family members contacted him and informed him of what irrational decisions Trump was making. My friend informed them that he was part of making the plan. It was a solid plan derived from all the best intelligence available. He was acting on their recommendations. His family ignored all of this. The preferred their sources to a direct source- their own flesh and blood.

I went back and looked at the reporting from the time. Guess what I found!

[URL="https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/politics/trump-syria-withdrawal-scramble/index.html"]

The lead reporter is the same as from the article you cite. Barbara Starr. CNN Pentagon Correspondent. Same vague sourcing. In this case I know from my own, much more reliable source, that she is mischaracterizing the withdrawal as rash and sudden. So I have at least one example of CNN's Starr being misleading and unreliable.

Update 2

Lebanese President Michel Aoun says there are two possible causes of Tuesday’s explosion that killed nearly 150 people – either negligence or “external intervention” by a missile or bomb.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...mb/ar-BB17H8xM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Is what unreasonable?
    Answered my own question!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Third option that also has no evidence based around it being believable.

Turn Off Ads?