Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Why in the hell are there 2 nationally renowned Wink Martindales?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

I update my spreadsheet and removed Eric Bienemy from the Vikings interview list. They interviewed 10 and I can't see where they interviewed him. Not sure where I got that. But that means the best I can tell, ZERO teams have requested an interview with him this year.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I update my spreadsheet and removed Eric Bienemy from the Vikings interview list. They interviewed 10 and I can't see where they interviewed him. Not sure where I got that. But that means the best I can tell, ZERO teams have requested an interview with him this year.
    https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...=1#post4371072

Well not to slight you Kal but I've been only using BlueDot Twitter sources. But I've got one that confirms Bienemy. So somehow I have one extra. But the source (Mike Klis Channel 9 Denver) says Broncos are down to Top 5, and Bienemy didn't make the Top 5.

- Dan Quinn
    - Jonathan Gannon
    - Nathaniel Hackett
    - Kellen Moore
    - Jerod Mayo

Edit: The extra was Doug Pederson (Jason La Confora was the lying sleazeball)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-22-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Well not to slight you Kal but I've been only using BlueDot Twitter sources. But I've got one that confirms Bienemy. So somehow I have one extra. But the source (Mike Klis Channel 9 Denver) says Broncos are down to Top 5, and Bienemy didn't make the Top 5.

- Dan Quinn
    - Jonathan Gannon
    - Nathaniel Hackett
    - Kellen Moore
    - Jerod Mayo

Edit: The extra was Doug Pederson (Jason La Confora was the lying sleazeball)
    Not sure what you mean by the slight remark and all that, but multiple sources have Bieniemy interviewing with Denver. That’s all. You were emphatic with the ”ZERO” so it was worthy of correction.

Just for reassurance the Broncos blue-check Twitter account confirmed the interview with Bieniemy last night.

Sorry to pile on but reading between the lines you seemed skeptical of my statement Jax.

And your source Klis is not blue check.

He just however replied to someone saying that he (Klis) said only 5 candidates remain by saying “I didn’t say only.”

There may be some stray (but valid) reports of other interviews out there but this site has a pretty good run down of interviews.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-coachin...2-hiring-cycle

Just some thoughts:

It looks like some of the uninspiring retreads are making the rounds. Dan Quinn, Leslie Fraizer and Jim Caldwell. Ugh. Asking for mediocrity if you hire one of them.

Since it’s been discussed several minority coaches look like good candidates. Bieniemy, Flores and Leftwich catch my eye. Surely Flores will be hired…right…Texans?

Overall it’s a rather below-average pool. I’d be much more inclined to take a chance on some “new blood” rather than one of the 5-6 past head coaches who are being interviewed aside from Flores.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I wonder in some instances (Detroit last year with Dan Campbell and now this with the Texans) how much of it is to avoid paying a large salary.

You could hire a Doug Pederson who has a Super Bowl ring and comes from the Andy Reid coaching tree but know you are going to have to pay to get him.

Or you could hire an inexperienced coach and pay them peanuts and hope they catch lightning in a bottle.

I know the topic is about race but I think tight spending has a lot to do with it as well.
    It’s a good point but always looks bad the way it’s done.

There also a handful of low cost 1st time coaching options available in the minority pool.

You should of course not hire just to do it and say. Here you go. Here’s your minority coach. Just can’t tell me there’s not better options then some of these retreads who are better coordinators then coaches. And they have already proven that.

Didn’t Caldwell actually win in Detroit more then any other coach since Wayne Fontes or heck Joe Schmidt. He might be bland but even Marvin Lewis showed he could win under difficult circumstances. He just needs a right hand Assistant who can help with halftime adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think that is solely due to Joe Burrow. I bet he still has his job today if Burrow didn't torch him for nearly 1000 yds in two games
    Keith Butler retired from the Steelers too.

Make that two defensive coordinators ran out by Burrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    It’s a good point but always looks bad the way it’s done.

There also a handful of low cost 1st time coaching options available in the minority pool.

You should of course not hire just to do it and say. Here you go. Here’s your minority coach. Just can’t tell me there’s not better options then some of these retreads who are better coordinators then coaches. And they have already proven that.

Didn’t Caldwell actually win in Detroit more then any other coach since Wayne Fontes or heck Joe Schmidt. He might be bland but even Marvin Lewis showed he could win under difficult circumstances. He just needs a right hand Assistant who can help with halftime adjustments.
    Caldwell also has the stench of following Tony Dungy and laying an egg in Indy. Marvin I don’t think will ever get a chance again after the Meltdown at Paul Brown. Any other owner would have fired him. He let the inmates run the asylum and it’s been pretty telling since he left.

If you’re going to go after a low cost minority hire, why not Deion Sanders?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

12. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (01-23-2022)

Both Mel Tucker and James Franklin could be great NFL coaches. (Franklin would need a good offensive coordinator.) Fred McNair would be a sneaky good cheap hire.

A couple outside the box picks-- Ed Reed and Champ Bailey would do well, I think, and likely work for minimum.

Marcus Brady would be a cheap, effective coach, I suspect, as well.

14. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (01-23-2022)

A lot of folks in Jax want Caldwell to be Exec VP of Football. Like Coughlin but in an advisory position not the final authority as Coughlin was. Apparently he's been very adamant that he wants a HC job. I wonder once all the HC jobs are filled and he is left standing if he changes his mind.

I think Deion will get a P5 gig before an NFL gig. Just a guess but I think his forte is recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think Deion will get a P5 gig before an NFL gig. Just a guess but I think his forte is recruiting.
    And it will probably be Florida State.

Still wouldn’t hurt to kick the tires.

19. Likes:

Chip R (01-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The state charter for Prime Prep Academy, a school co-founded by Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, will reportedly be revoked, threatening to close campuses located in Dallas and Fort Worth.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-down-by-state
    I think this would hurt his chances at a big time gig.

Turn Off Ads?