Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Trent Dilfer and Colin Cowherd railed on the guy's NFL skills pretty hard earlier this season. Will they be right? I don't know, but its not all a love fest in Bristol over Tebow's QB skills.
    Doesn't matter if they love him or hate him. If they say they love him, they get a bunch of feedback from people who don't love him and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

This WSJ essay on "God's Quarterback" brings up some interesting points...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...973155282.html
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

In postgame interviews, the young quarterback often starts by saying, "First, I'd like to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" and ends with "God bless." He stresses that football is just a game and that God doesn't care who wins or loses.
    He seems really self aware. Unique person, I don't see how anyone can root against him. It reminds me of Brett Favre, the coverage, especially late in his career, was annoying, but football was always more fun when Favre was good. Tebow is a great story and he's made this season way more fun and interesting.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    How is it dead on? The guy is completing 49% of his passes. He's not that good.
    Cherrypicking stats and ignoring everything he does do well. The guy has an 11/2 TD-INT ratio, a respectable 83.9 QB rating ... and he's run for over 500 yards at 5.5 yards per carry and three more TDs. Apart from that completion percentage his stats are fine. This is with receivers that are mostly mediocre, as anyone could see the first three quarters on Sunday where they dropped plenty of balls.

In sports when it's not the Reds, Bengals, or Buckeyes I generally root for what would be the more interesting story, so it's really weird to me that people have this hatred for Tebow. If he were more judgmental or something I'd understand it but I've literally never heard the guy say anything I'd consider out of bounds. Even his anti-abortion ad was as tasteful as could be, I mean come on.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Yeah. Maybe it's the cynical bastard in me, but I view people who wear their religion on their sleeve with a certain jaundiced skunk eye.

But I've met enough people (and have a very good friend) who has totally integrated their religion into their lifestyle and its completely natural and without guile and even a cynic like me respects and admires that in them.

Tebow strikes me as that kind of person and I say more power to him.

Plus he is an absolute gonzo warrior on the field and I always like that too.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Lots of guys make religious gestures after scoring or getting a base hit (Brandon Phillips) so I don't see what religion has to do with one's opinion of Tebow. He's a born again Christian just like our own Andy Dalton. So what?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Lots of guys make religious gestures after scoring or getting a base hit (Brandon Phillips) so I don't see what religion has to do with one's opinion of Tebow. He's a born again Christian just like our own Andy Dalton. So what?
    Some people frown upon those who are religious.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Some people frown upon those who are religious.
    That's a classic straw man and not really true, and is a baiting comment meant for the other forum.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm a Broncos fan, have been since the mid 80's. I am becoming a Tebow fan as well. Seems like he is a very hard worker and it is nice to see that effort translate into success on the field. If he starts playing the first 3 quarters like he does the 4th quarter he will be one of the best quarterbacks in the league.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Cherrypicking stats and ignoring everything he does do well. The guy has an 11/2 TD-INT ratio, a respectable 83.9 QB rating ... and he's run for over 500 yards at 5.5 yards per carry and three more TDs. Apart from that completion percentage his stats are fine. This is with receivers that are mostly mediocre, as anyone could see the first three quarters on Sunday where they dropped plenty of balls.
    Plus, while he obviously needs work on his accuracy, it's hard to get in a rhythm when you throw the ball 15 times a game. And when you throw so infrequently, those drops really kill the completion percentage. Not saying it would be 65%, but it would be a lot better with more polished receivers. Imagine if Brandon Lloyd was still there. Also, I think Tebow could put up more points if the Broncos called a more aggressive game plan. But the defense is holding teams to 13 points, so Fox is calling a very conservative game. Against the Vikings, when the D was horrible, The Broncos put up 28 points on offense, all of it in the 2nd half after Fox called a very vanilla first half.

@mancowmuller Tebow.The last time a Bronco got this much publicity it was going 12 MPH on the LA freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That's a classic straw man and not really true, and is a baiting comment meant for the other forum.
    That is certainly your opinion. I happen to disagree as I have seen it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is certainly your opinion. I happen to disagree as I have seen it first hand.
    But it's not near as much as atheists or agnostics are frowned upon by religious people. And yes, I've seen THAT first hand.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    But it's not near as much as atheists or agnostics are frowned upon by religious people. And yes, I've seen THAT first hand.
    I never said anything to suggest otherwise. That doesn't have much to do with Tim Tebow though, does it? Where as the first statement does.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

In sports when it's not the Reds, Bengals, or Buckeyes I generally root for what would be the more interesting story, so it's really weird to me that people have this hatred for Tebow. If he were more judgmental or something I'd understand it but I've literally never heard the guy say anything I'd consider out of bounds. Even his anti-abortion ad was as tasteful as could be, I mean come on.
    49% completion percentage is not cherry picking. That's not good, no matter how you slice it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?