Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2018-2019

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Well the NCAA isn't involved right now. It will be interesting to see how fast they move on the recent trial.
    Yeah...if I recall correctly, the NCAA was told to sit back and wait on this one. You are correct, it will be interesting to see how fast the NCAA does their thing on this. It will also be interesting to see just how they handle all this as well. Would not surprise me at all if they changed their rules, just so the big kids(schools) dont get caught up in this. I could also see them saying the FBI handled it and not take any further action against programs, and just declare the kids involved ineligible to play. If that happens, guys like Jay Bilas will explode...and rightfully so!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-24-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Yeah...if I recall correctly, the NCAA was told to sit back and wait on this one. You are correct, it will be interesting to see how fast the NCAA does their thing on this. It will also be interesting to see just how they handle all this as well. Would not surprise me at all if they changed their rules, just so the big kids(schools) dont get caught up in this. I could also see them saying the FBI handled it and not take any further action against programs, and just declare the kids involved ineligible to play. If that happens, guys like Jay Bilas will explode...and rightfully so!!!
    IIRC, there are two more trials that are going to happen. So it might be a year or two before the NCAA can even begin their investigations. However, I could see some high profile coaches retiring in the next couple of years. Some of these guys are at retirement age anyway but they may jump before they get pushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    IIRC, there are two more trials that are going to happen. So it might be a year or two before the NCAA can even begin their investigations. However, I could see some high profile coaches retiring in the next couple of years. Some of these guys are at retirement age anyway but they may jump before they get pushed.
    Here's a good article from Matt Norlander about the ramifications of the verdicts yesterday. To me he is saying this empowers the NCAA to come down pretty hard on any of the offenders in all of this. Yes there are more trials in 2019. The assistant coaches charged are up next. That could be were the stuff really hits the fan. And yes I agree with you I think we will see quite a few of these "older" coaches retire like Self,Williams,K and probably Cal also in the next couple of seasons.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...s-and-schools/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's a good article from Matt Norlander about the ramifications of the verdicts yesterday. To me he is saying this empowers the NCAA to come down pretty hard on any of the offenders in all of this. Yes there are more trials in 2019. The assistant coaches charged are up next. That could be were the stuff really hits the fan. And yes I agree with you I think we will see quite a few of these "older" coaches retire like Self,Williams,K and probably Cal also in the next couple of seasons.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...s-and-schools/
    It was a good article. I guess that I am in the wait and see mode. But Kansas not playing Desousa(sp?) tells me something. Let's see how many other dominoes fall before the season starts.

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-26-2018)

It was a good article. I guess that I am in the wait and see mode. But Kansas not playing Desousa(sp?) tells me something. Let's see how many other dominoes fall before the season starts.
    I don't think anything will happen. Self and Sean Miller are still coaching. If the schools were serious about this, both would be on paid administrative leave until a proper decision could be made.

UL did fire Pitino, but lets be honest, had he had a spotless past, Pitino would still be coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think anything will happen. Self and Sean Miller are still coaching. If the schools were serious about this, both would be on paid administrative leave until a proper decision could be made.

UL did fire Pitino, but lets be honest, had he had a spotless past, Pitino would still be coaching.
    Will Wade is still coaching too.

They are still coaching but for how long? Once the NCAA gets involved and if sanctions become a real possibility, anything is possible. Self has a championship but really underachieves in the tournament. Sean Miller has had some good teams at Arizona and can’t get past the Elite Eight. The scandals add more fuel to the fire.

Next year will be very telling because the assistant coaches will be going on trial. That’s when more names will be thrown out and others will be thrown under the bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

We don't know what is going on behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Will Wade is still coaching too.

They are still coaching but for how long? Once the NCAA gets involved and if sanctions become a real possibility, anything is possible. Self has a championship but really underachieves in the tournament. Sean Miller has had some good teams at Arizona and can’t get past the Elite Eight. The scandals add more fuel to the fire.

Next year will be very telling because the assistant coaches will be going on trial. That’s when more names will be thrown out and others will be thrown under the bus.
    I had no clue who Will Wade was and I googled him. I don't think Wade really matters in this case, he is the coach at LSU, a program who every once in a while has a good season but is pretty much an afterthought in basketball.

You get Kansas basketball, you get Arizona basketball, you get a blue blood. While Self and Miller have had issues on the big stage, they still are in the top tier of coaches in college basketball. I saw it first hand this football off season with Urban Meyer. The press went after him hard, some his own doing, and others exaggerated stories to fan the narrative.

You get LSU and Auburn, you get two rogue actors at football schools. You get Arizona, UL, and Kansas, and you get the blue bloods of college basketball. I know this, if you are a coach and participated in this, you have to be scared, because it will come out.

I had no clue who Will Wade was and I googled him. I don't think Wade really matters in this case, he is the coach at LSU, a program who every once in a while has a good season but is pretty much an afterthought in basketball.

You get Kansas basketball, you get Arizona basketball, you get a blue blood. While Self and Miller have had issues on the big stage, they still are in the top tier of coaches in college basketball. I saw it first hand this football off season with Urban Meyer. The press went after him hard, some his own doing, and others exaggerated stories to fan the narrative.

You get LSU and Auburn, you get two rogue actors at football schools. You get Arizona, UL, and Kansas, and you get the blue bloods of college basketball. I know this, if you are a coach and participated in this, you have to be scared, because it will come out.
    Better be googling Rick Stansbury.

I mentioned Wade for this reason:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ranscript-says

According to the transcript that Donnelly read, Dawkins called Wade and inquired about LSU's interest in 2019 recruit Balsa Koprivica, a 7-foot center from Montverde, Florida.

"So you said to me in Atlanta there was a 2019 kid I wanted to recruit, they can get him to LSU, you would have funded," Dawkins told Wade, according to Donnelly. "Would you want Balsa?"

"Oh, the big kid?" Wade asked.

"Yeah," Dawkins confirmed.

"OK. But there's other (expletive) involved in it," Wade said. "I have got to shut my door ... Here's my thing: I can get you what you need, but it's got to work."

On June 21, 2017, Koprivica tweeted: "Blessed to say I have received an offer from LSU."
    It’s not as high profile as Self, but how he handled SEC media days was probably as bad as Urban Meyer:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/baske...ce-of-the-day/
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-27-2018)

17. Likes:

Chip R (10-27-2018)

The wider the corruption findings spread the less likely any significant punishment gets handed down. NCAA is not gonna punish blue bloods—you do that, you cut into revenue. They’ve already extracted their pound of flesh from a blue blood lite in Louisville. There might a single public hanging at a smaller school or maybe a show trial with another blue blood lite like Arizona, but this will blow over.

Nothing whatsoever will happen to Kansas. Full stop.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-27-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The wider the corruption findings spread the less likely any significant punishment gets handed down. NCAA is not gonna punish blue bloods—you do that, you cut into revenue. They’ve already extracted their pound of flesh from a blue blood lite in Louisville. Their might a single public hanging at a smaller school or maybe a show trial with another blue blood lite like Arizona, but this will blow over.

Nothing whatsoever will happen to Kansas. Full stop.
    Name a blue blood that hasn't had NCAA sanctions against them in the past.

Name a blue blood that hasn't had NCAA sanctions against them in the past.
    The game is different. This isn’t the 80’s anymore. They’ve literally caught UNC redhanded and figured out how to do nothing about it. They know better than to go after the golden four: UNC, Duke, Kansas, UK.

They’ve risen above the law entirely.

21. Likes:

Hoosier Red (11-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The game is different. This isn’t the 80’s anymore. They’ve literally caught UNC redhanded and figured out how to do nothing about it. They know better than to go after the golden four: UNC, Duke, Kansas, UK.

They’ve risen above the law entirely.
    I’m a UK fan, but if Kentucky was in the same situation as Louisville you had better believe the NCAA would throw the book at Kentucky. I don’t think Kansas would get off either.

Tobacco Road is the only exception to the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-28-2018)

Turn Off Ads?