Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alliance of American Football

Re: Alliance of American Football

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    This is a great way to pass the weekends in Feb and March. Love the pace of the game and the required 2 point attempts.

My local team needs to find an OL. And a QB. If we have decent weather for any of the home games I’m sure I’ll be able to find some buddies to take in a game or two.
    I was watching one of the games the other day, and wasn't really sure what I was watching because I haven't heard of this new league (LOL).

I'm not a basketball fan at all, so I'm in my "dead-zone" until baseball starts. I'll give it a watch-see.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

A number of playoff teams added pieces at the trade deadline, but the Rockets are getting Clint Capela right after the break. That's probably as big an add as any of them. Houston should be considered the favorite to snag the final home court position.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    A number of playoff teams added pieces at the trade deadline, but the Rockets are getting Clint Capela right after the break. That's probably as big an add as any of them. Houston should be considered the favorite to snag the final home court position.
    What football position can Capela play?

I think the AAF can succeed if they are embraced by the NFL. There is a place for players who had a shot in the NFL but fizzled out and who are still young. If you become a de-facto minor league system of the NFL, I think you can be successful.

If you become a league with practice squad type of players who get the full weekly practice and game experience, it can benefit everybody. You also see some pretty big named coaches who are coaching the teams, which is a benefit to the league.

I think of a guy like Jalin Marshall who probably left OSU a year too early and has bounced around here and there. If he has a successful run in the AAF, he will get another shot at the league.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the AAF can succeed if they are embraced by the NFL. There is a place for players who had a shot in the NFL but fizzled out and who are still young. If you become a de-facto minor league system of the NFL, I think you can be successful.

If you become a league with practice squad type of players who get the full weekly practice and game experience, it can benefit everybody. You also see some pretty big named coaches who are coaching the teams, which is a benefit to the league.

I think of a guy like Jalin Marshall who probably left OSU a year too early and has bounced around here and there. If he has a successful run in the AAF, he will get another shot at the league.
    We'll see. I doubt it'll survive financially unless it's subsidized by the NFL. It's getting really rosy press coverage right now. It's all giggles and positive enthusiasm. Lance McAlister had someone on last night from the front office of one of these teams and there wasn't a tough question asked. My question would have established that Logan Woodside is not a power 5 QB in college football yet he's a starter getting raves in this league. Question: Do you really think people will watch a league that's below major college football longterm?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We'll see. I doubt it'll survive financially unless it's subsidized by the NFL. It's getting really rosy press coverage right now. It's all giggles and positive enthusiasm. Lance McAlister had someone on last night from the front office of one of these teams and there wasn't a tough question asked. My question would have established that Logan Woodside is not a power 5 QB in college football yet he's a starter getting raves in this league. Question: Do you really think people will watch a league that's below major college football longterm?
    There’s a pretty decent Qb from a MAC school in the Bengals division right now. He’s a future first ballot hall of famer.

Who cares what school players went to?

Roethlisberger - Miami (OH)
    Derek Carr - Fresno St
    Alex Smith - Utah (Mountain West at the time)
    Andy Dalton - TCU (MWC at the time)

So on and so forth.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 02-12-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    There’s a pretty decent Qb from a MAC school in the Bengals division right now. He’s a future first ballot hall of famer.

Who cares what school players went to?
    As a general rule Power 5 teams have more talent than other college football teams. That's the point that you missed

As a general rule Power 5 teams have more talent than other college football teams. That's the point that you missed
    And the point you are ignoring is it doesn’t matter with regard to individual talent. I’m not saying Woodside is a future pro bowler, but writing him off for the sole reason he went to a G5 school is silly.

I think if successful, the NFL will have a major hand in it. I also think it makes sense as a test market for new rules or policies the NFL wants to implement. It could also be a training round for officials that want to make the jump to the NFL.

Logan Woodside may not be a NFL caliber starting QB, but he may be good enough to be a backup. Plenty of non power 5 QB's have gone on in the NFL to be good players, and look at the retreads the NFL is signing to be backup QB's.

And the point you are ignoring is it doesn’t matter with regard to individual talent. I’m not saying Woodside is a future pro bowler, but writing him off for the sole reason he went to a G5 school is silly.
    Once again you missed my point. His choice of school is not the sole reason. I'll put it another way: Logan Woodside isn't even good enough to be a backup at places like Ohio State, Ga, Clemson or Alabama. In addition to Toledo he was offered scholarships from WKU, Western Ill and Ohio Bobcats. Us Bengal fans saw him in Cincinnati. He's not a talent. He didn't attain the success in the MAC that Roelisberger did. He doesn't have the skills Ben does.

What aren't you getting here? Stating that Roethlisberger is a Hall of Famer doesn't make Woodside more talented. I'm saying he's not NFL talented and he's not even Power 5 NCAA football talented. If you still don't get it then that's your problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think if successful, the NFL will have a major hand in it. I also think it makes sense as a test market for new rules or policies the NFL wants to implement. It could also be a training round for officials that want to make the jump to the NFL.

Logan Woodside may not be a NFL caliber starting QB, but he may be good enough to be a backup. Plenty of non power 5 QB's have gone on in the NFL to be good players, and look at the retreads the NFL is signing to be backup QB's.
    You're a big Ohio State football fan. Do you think he's good enough to be a backup at Ohio State?

Once again you missed my point. His choice of school is not the sole reason. I'll put it another way: Logan Woodside isn't even good enough to be a backup at places like Ohio State, Ga, Clemson or Alabama. In addition to Toledo he was offered scholarships from WKU, Western Ill and Ohio Bobcats. Us Bengal fans saw him in Cincinnati. He's not a talent. He didn't attain the success in the MAC that Roelisberger did. He doesn't have the skills Ben does.

What aren't you getting here? Stating that Roethlisberger is a Hall of Famer doesn't make Woodside more talented. I'm saying he's not NFL talented and he's not even Power 5 NCAA football talented. If you still don't get it then that's your problem.

- - - Updated - - -

You're a big Ohio State football fan. Do you think he's good enough to be a backup at Ohio State?
    I am questioning your appeal to authority. Simply because he didn’t play at a G5 school means he’s no good.

He was absolutely good enough to be a backup at OSU. He was an extreme late bloomer in HS. No one even knew who he was until he was a senior in HS.

Woodside would have absolutely started for probably 20 P5 teams if he transferred after his first season at UT.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 02-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.

I am questioning your appeal to authority. Simply because he didn’t play at a G5 school means he’s no good.

He was absolutely good enough to be a backup at OSU. He was an extreme late bloomer in HS. No one even knew who he was until he was a senior in HS.

Woodside would have absolutely started for probably 20 P5 teams if he transferred after his first season at UT.
    OK, let's see if this is worth pursuing any further:

Do you think that the talent level is generally better at Power 5 schools than MAC schools?

Do you think that the talent level is generally better at Power 5 schools than MAC schools?
    Obviously it’s better at P5. But, I’m talking about individual talent, not teams.

Khalil Mack will never amount to anything. The talent level at Buffalo is inferior.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-12-2019)

- - - Updated - - -

Logan Woodside was drafted in the NFL draft, so at least one team thought he was good enough to be a practice squad or backup QB.

SeaRay you are wrong here. If you want to go into the nuances of college football recruiting, especially at the QB spot, we can. I just looked up his recruiting profile on 247sports. Woodside was a 3 star QB who signed with Toledo. Woodside was signed in 2012, in that year OSU took Cardale Jones as their QB recruit. On the roster at the time was a guy named Braxton Miller who started as a freshman and was pretty much guaranteed to start for another two years. On the 2012 roster they had Braxton, Kenny Guiton, and Cardale Jones. Woodside may have never seen the field had he gone to OSU.

If you want to talk about OSU QB recruiting its pretty simple. They want to get a very good QB each seasons. Ideally the QB comes in and redshirts his freshman year, is the backup his R-F year, and then maybe starts his R-So. year. Logan Woodside never would have seen the field at OSU, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't want him as a backup QB. To be honest, right now OSU would take a guy of Woodside's caliber as a backup QB. But the reality is, if you aren't a top notch QB recruit, you are better served going the MAC route and getting playing time. FWIW, Woodside was drafted so I think it worked out for him.

Why is this relevant? There are MAC players all over the NFL. And FBS players. And Conference USA players. He Hate Me was a an XFL sensation back in the day from Western Kentucky. You know where he went after the league folded? The NFL.

Turn Off Ads?