Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Concacaf just released the 2022 qualifying method so good as time as any to start this thread.

So basically the top 6 teams by FIFA rankings go right to the Hex, no group stage. The top 3 automatically go to the World Cup.

The other 29 teams play in a completely separate group stage/knock out tournament. The winner of that will play the fourth place team from the Hex in a home and home. And the winner of that gets to play in the international home and home for the last World Cup spot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Concacaf just released the 2022 qualifying method so good as time as any to start this thread.

So basically the top 6 teams by FIFA rankings go right to the Hex, no group stage. The top 3 automatically go to the World Cup.

The other 29 teams play in a completely separate group stage/knock out tournament. The winner of that will play the fourth place team from the Hex in a home and home. And the winner of that gets to play in the international home and home for the last World Cup spot.
    So US has no qualifying until 2021? Wow.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    So US has no qualifying until 2021? Wow.
    No the first games in the Hex will be August/September of 2020.

Oh I see. So it will be pretty spread out then? The 10 games in 12 months was always a little brutal given how they'd be bunched up. Or will they just be finishing earlier now?
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Oh I see. So it will be pretty spread out then? The 10 games in 12 months was always a little brutal given how they'd be bunched up. Or will they just be finishing earlier now?
    It’s still pretty packed. They are done by September of 2021. Actually the first 6 games take place in September, October, November of 2020. Break to March 21 and then break to September 21. But given the actual WC was moved to the winter it’s a long break. Hopefully can make the Confed Cup to get some quality games in.

Edit: apparently the Confed Cup doesn’t exist anymore, so never mind
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 07-24-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Two factors helping the U.S. are:

1. Costa Rica's golden generation is getting long in the tooth (though Celso Borges forever owns Michael Bradley).

2. A lot of the young U.S. players are over in Europe, getting to face stiffer competition and fighting for their jobs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Two factors helping the U.S. are:

1. Costa Rica's golden generation is getting long in the tooth (though Celso Borges forever owns Michael Bradley).

2. A lot of the young U.S. players are over in Europe, getting to face stiffer competition and fighting for their jobs.
    I think the US is going to qualify the next go-round -- but the more concerning / depressing thing is that the entire program appears to be treading water right now. We're still not producing the level of talent necessary to do better than "Qualify, possibly make the knockouts."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think the US is going to qualify the next go-round -- but the more concerning / depressing thing is that the entire program appears to be treading water right now. We're still not producing the level of talent necessary to do better than "Qualify, possibly make the knockouts."
    Pulisic, Steffen, Weah, and Sargent strongly disagree. Pulisic is a world class talent. The US has never had a player of his skill.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Pulisic, Steffen, Weah, and Sargent strongly disagree. Pulisic is a world class talent. The US has never had a player of his skill.
    So I watched more of the Gold Cup than I should of, and came away with a few things.

-Pulisic is world class in every sense of the term. Just a fantastic talent.
    -Sargent, for some reason, wasn't included on the team. Instead the team got the talents of Zardes.
    -Steffen may be the next of the world class American GK.
    -The old guard of this current team needs to be cycled out. The likes of Bradley, Gonzales, and Altidore no longer are playing at that level. Bradley is sloppy and no where near the player he once was. The other guys may have a role, but its taking time away from a young player.
    -Can someone explain the allure of Jordan Morris to me?

12. Likes:

M2 (07-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    So I watched more of the Gold Cup than I should of, and came away with a few things.

-Pulisic is world class in every sense of the term. Just a fantastic talent.
    -Sargent, for some reason, wasn't included on the team. Instead the team got the talents of Zardes.
    -Steffen may be the next of the world class American GK.
    -The old guard of this current team needs to be cycled out. The likes of Bradley, Gonzales, and Altidore no longer are playing at that level. Bradley is sloppy and no where near the player he once was. The other guys may have a role, but its taking time away from a young player.
    I think the Gold Cup was the last hoorah for the old guys.

I think Sargent was left off because Berhalter wanted his full attention on his first full season in the Bundesliga’s first division.

Jordan Morris isn’t bad, not great. I think he is good for CONCACAF qualifying. He has a decent last touch and can run for years. Just my opinion.

I actually really liked what I saw from Boyd, the dude from New Zealand.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

We're going to need to see what Weah and Sargent become. There is a version of the future where the US has an extremely dynamic attack by the time the World Cup rolls around. McKennie and Adams are also part of that youth movement. It's a matter of if enough kids go overseas and thrive. That's how you break the cycle that saw them bounced for 2018.

15. Likes:

Slyder (07-25-2019)

I thought it was a shockingly bad decision to waste minutes on players who need to disappear long before 2022 rolls around.

Jordan Morris isn’t bad, not great. I think he is good for CONCACAF qualifying. He has a decent last touch and can run for years. Just my opinion.=
    He's a forward who doesn't score much. If he hasn't gotten turned into an afterthought in the coming years, things have gone horribly wrong.

I think the Gold Cup was the last hoorah for the old guys.

I think Sargent was left off because Berhalter wanted his full attention on his first full season in the Bundesliga’s first division.

Jordan Morris isn’t bad, not great. I think he is good for CONCACAF qualifying. He has a decent last touch and can run for years. Just my opinion.

I actually really liked what I saw from Boyd, the dude from New Zealand.
    Boyd was very impressive from what I saw, glad he switched over.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Boyd was very impressive from what I saw, glad he switched over.
    He faded a bit as the tournament went on, but it was still a good debut and certainly has potential.

Brooks, Yedlin and Adams all missed the tournament and are likely all defensive starters.

Even though he’s seemingly been around forever, Jozy will be 32 at the next World Cup. He’s absolutely going to play a role in at least qualifying unless someone takes his job.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I thought it was a shockingly bad decision to waste minutes on players who need to disappear long before 2022 rolls around.
    Damn, I didn't realize Bradley was only 31 years old. It seems like forever ago he made a splash on the WC stage, and then has been a shell of himself for two WC cycles now. Its a same because I thought he was a rising MF star whose game really took a nose dive in his prime. It feels like the national team needs to move away from him and hand the mantle over to a younger player. They really need a player who can play a true MF and allow Pulisic to be Pulisic. Having him constantly drop too far back really limits what he can do.

He's a forward who doesn't score much. If he hasn't gotten turned into an afterthought in the coming years, things have gone horribly wrong.
    I remember watching a MLS game and people were like "here comes Jordan Morris" and then the USMNT got excited about him. Granted I have only seen him play a few times, but he has done nothing to flash, nothing to say "wow."

I wonder if the MLS is both a blessing and a curse for the USMNT. Its a blessing in that it creates buzz in the US for soccer, it creates a playing field for a bunch of players to come up through. But it is also a place where you can make a decent pay day instead of really pushing yourself against better competition. You can succeed in the MLS, or you could push yourself overseas. Often the worst thing for a rising soccer star is to spend his early and mid 20's in the MLS.

20. Likes:

M2 (07-25-2019)

Turn Off Ads?