Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros stolen signs scandal

Re: Astros stolen signs scandal

Can't wait for the slap on the wrist.

How about some serious punishment, no draft picks at all in 2020, life time banishment for the manager, GM and team president, team forced to go back to wearing the rainbow uniforms from the 70's.
    Go Gators!

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-13-2019),757690 (11-13-2019),Edd Roush (11-13-2019),Kilgore_Trout (11-13-2019),North (11-13-2019),REDREAD (11-13-2019),Redsfaithful (11-13-2019),Rolando (11-14-2019),Slyder (11-14-2019),texasdave (11-13-2019),Tommyjohn25 (11-13-2019),wally post (11-13-2019),wlf WV (11-13-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Can't wait for the slap on the wrist.

How about some serious punishment, no draft picks at all in 2020, life time banishment for the manager, GM and team president, team forced to go back to wearing the rainbow uniforms from the 70's.
    The Braves GM was banned for life a few years ago for cheating when it came to international pool money.

I see absolutely no reason why Luhnow shouldn’t be staring at the same type of punishment, but as you say, he’ll probabbly get a slap on the wrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-13-2019),REDREAD (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    All the implications are crazy. Can't trust any offensive numbers an Astros player has put up in recent years. Any interesting offensive home/road splits?
    Houston won more games on the road than they did at home during the 2017 and 2018 seasons and the 2019 World Series.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-13-2019),Revering4Blue (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Houston won more games on the road than they did at home during the 2017 and 2018 seasons and the 2019 World Series.

It’s entirely possible they found a way to cheat on the road, too. Remember the dugout incident in Cleveland where an Astros employee got removed by security after pointing a smart phone into the Indians’ dugout and all we heard from MLB was “well we asked The Astros and they said they were just making sure The Indians weren’t cheating so move along, nothing to see here”.

The Astros are one shady organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

9. Likes:

757690 (11-13-2019),DocRed (11-13-2019),Edd Roush (11-13-2019),REDREAD (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It’s entirely possible they found a way to cheat on the road, too. Remember the dugout incident in Cleveland where an Astros employee got removed by security after pointing a smart phone into the Indians’ dugout and all we heard from MLB was “well we asked The Astros and they said they were just making sure The Indians weren’t cheating so move along, nothing to see here”.

The Astros are one shady organization.
    Redsfaithful ask if there were any interesting home/road splits. I just thought these splits were interesting.

Curious as to what punishment the Astros should get? Similar to the Braves in 2017? Harold Reynolds on MLB said they should lose draft picks and prospects acquired since 2017.
    Last edited by DocRed; 11-13-2019 at 09:47 AM.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    If they're using technology, which seems to be backed up given some of the analysis by journalists and such breaking down video, it doesn't matter how complicated the signs are. It would be easy to figure out in a relatively short amount of time.
    You're probably right. So why not just take away the monitors by the dugout? If that's how they are getting the signs and relaying them, seems pretty simple to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-13-2019),Revering4Blue (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I had thought they had stopped this with the Apple Watch Red Sox situation a few years ago. If the Astros are getting this from their CF cameras ll transmitting to the TV by the dugout, just ban the TV from that area. However part of me says make the signals more complicated. I don't like to see technology being used to steal signs. Now if they were doing this during the World Series they did a poor job of it since they lost every home game.
    I like this idea.
    A side benefit of banning TVs is that we won't have a bench coach reviewing every close play on TV and letting the manager know whether to challenge it or not.. that slows down the game as well.. The instant replay reviews would actually be a little bit more exciting if the manager had to go by "gut feel". (I am sure most appeals would be lost though).
    15Fan had a good idea about having a wireless communication device between pitcher and catcher, but the problem is that the Astros would find a way to eavesdrop on the wireless discussion..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Curious as to what punishment the Astros should get? Similar to the Braves in 2017? Harold Reynolds on MLB said they should lose draft picks and prospects acquired since 2017.
    Grant the entire Astros 40 man roster free agency
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

18. Likes:

North (11-13-2019)

I find it hard to believe they were calling out off speed pitches to hitters with a loud banging noise everyone near the field could hear. Opposing teams would pick up on that in a heart beat.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I find it hard to believe they were calling out off speed pitches to hitters with a loud banging noise everyone near the field could hear. Opposing teams would pick up on that in a heart beat.
    I mean if you watch the video, both of those things did in fact happen

21. Likes:

JFLegal (11-14-2019)

Another video of Astros stealing signs this time with a whistle and during the 2017 WS vs The Dodgers....

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...tm_name=iossmf

Sound Familiar? Yup, the Yankees accused the Astros of using a whistle to steal signals this year in the ALCS.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/10/16...-by-whistling/
    Last edited by DocRed; 11-13-2019 at 12:39 PM.

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-13-2019),REDREAD (11-13-2019),wally post (11-13-2019)

The jomboy twitter feed is doing God’s work on this. He’s got audio with the video - you can hear the signaling from the dugout.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

25. Likes:

Chip R (11-13-2019),DocRed (11-13-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The jomboy twitter feed is doing God’s work on this. He’s got audio with the video - you can hear the signaling from the dugout.
    https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1194348775965437952
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

27. Likes:

DocRed (11-13-2019),membengal (11-13-2019)

cheating is an institution in baseball. It is the only sport as a child that you begin learning how to cheat or use trickery in the first week of practice. There is very little baseball can do even if they learn the Astros are guilty of this. They do not have the ability to vacate championships and they are unable to punish individual players. Sure they could hit them with draft picks or something....but nothing major. Finally if the Astros are doing this, other teams are doing this or something similar.

29. Likes:

mth123 (11-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?