Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Was 2020 a successful season?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

80 61.54%
  • Yes

50 38.46%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm not worried about dollar figures, it's not my money, other teams do it with less.

Just do it
    Neither am I. But those signing the checks are.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

They went 31-31. Pretty much answers the question, doesn’t it?

4. Likes:

tripleaaaron (10-01-2020)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

They pushed all in to win this year. Came up empty handed. Now they're probably going to lose their best pitcher and one of their best hitters.

I don't know on what planet that's considered a success.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 10-01-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

MrRedSkull (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),tripleaaaron (10-01-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    They'd only say no because of the lack of gate revenue.

I think this year was a success by the pandemic shortened standard. It was not what anybody was hoping for back when spring training started, but that was a whole different world.
    I would argue the pandemic standard makes it worse. You were almost guaranteed to make the playoffs. The Reds found a way to make even that iffy, and then -- despite spending big money on Moustakas, Castellanos, and Shogo in the off-season -- proceeded to put up 22 0s on the scoreboard. That is an epic fail by any objective measure.

I know there's a certain degree of contrarianism that goes on here when folks are angry and venting, but the people in the organization have to be stewing right now as much or more than fans are.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

8. Likes:

MrRedSkull (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What stood out for me was how boring this team was. Even during the winning streak, it was nowhere as exciting as other winning streaks. I love good pitching, I love close, low scoring games, and yet most games were hard to watch.

I think a key part is the three outcome philosophy of the offense, but it also is the painful defense and base running. There is nothing more boring to me than poorly played baseball, and the Reds 2020 season was poorly played baseball for nearly the entire season.
    This is well put. It was a goofy season from the start so I mostly just enjoyed the games with little expectations. I was glad they made the playoffs, but definitely not as elated as I was in 2010, 2012, or even 2013. And I wasn't as disappointed when the season ended today as I was in those years.

I chalked it up to the limited investment in a short season and not attending any games. But you're right. It could be because this team wasn't all that fun to watch, outside of the starting pitching and the bullpen at the end. There was no athleticism or speed. The defense was little league. The offense never strung more than two hits together and was dependent on a walk or a HR. And they are led by an emotionless manager who doesn't seem to have much personality.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

10. Likes:

50YrRedsFan (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),TexasRedsFan (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I would argue the pandemic standard makes it worse. You were almost guaranteed to make the playoffs. The Reds found a way to make even that iffy, and then -- despite spending big money on Moustakas, Castellanos, and Shogo in the off-season -- proceeded to put up 22 0s on the scoreboard. That is an epic fail by any objective measure.

I know there's a certain degree of contrarianism that goes on here when folks are angry and venting, but the people in the organization have to be stewing right now as much or more than fans are.
    The ownership has nobody to blame but themselves. So if they're stewing as you say they ould be better themselves. It starts at the top and that's not Dick Williams David Bell or Joey Votto. It's all on Bob Castellini he has been here 15 years it has never put a product on a field that can even advance to the playoffs. He has been a total failure and a liar as an owner
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Going forward the biggest question is if Reds’ ownership will continue to spend on the team at or near the current level. If so, they can improve the product.

It was a successful season IMO, especially looking back three years to a rebuilding plan that looked hopeless.
    I’m happy they reached .500 plus.
    Reaching .500 is such a lame threshold for success.

And nothing they did was sustainable. They had Bauer on a one year deal (spoiler: he's walking) and Castellanos on essentially a one year deal (also walking).

Unless Bobby C opens the wallet again, they're staring down the barrel of another losing season next year with this roster. But everyone on this board knows that the purse strings are gonna tighten back up with the claim of "Oh, we lost so much money in 2020..."
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 10-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.

13. Likes:

Kinsm (10-01-2020),MrRedSkull (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),tripleaaaron (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    The ownership has nobody to blame but themselves. So if they're stewing as you say they ould be better themselves. It starts at the top and that's not Dick Williams David Bell or Joey Votto. It's all on Bob Castellini he has been here 15 years it has never put a product on a field that can even advance to the playoffs. He has been a total failure and a liar as an owner
    Cast put a team on the field from 2010 to 2013 that went to the post season three times. Not winning a series is a disappointment for sure, but it’s hard not to consider that stretch a success.

From then on, it’s fair to criticize ownership, but they started out by putting together a winning team for a nice run.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They pushed all in to win this year. Came up empty handed. Now they're probably going to lose their best pitcher and one of their best hitters.

I don't know on what planet that's considered a success.
    They were going to lose them regardless. I don’t see how that plays into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    When you pay guys to be here for 1 year, you better win something.

They won nothing.

That's the textbook definition of a failure.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Castellanos isn’t going anywhere

20. Likes:

757690 (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),Tom Servo (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Castellanos isn’t going anywhere
    If he’s smart, he’s not going anywhere.

His 2020 was not that good. He put up the same fWAR as Freddie Galvis. Moose ended up with a higher OPS. He’s not getting anywhere near $15M a season in free agency.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    True, but look at it this way. Bauer was a fantastic move in a vacuum, but the moves they did last season and at the trading deadline kind of negated the benefit of having Bauer. Game 1 was a perfect summary about how they wasted Bauer by
    not building an offense and defense (and arguably bullpen) around him. Sure, I enjoyed watching him pitch, but how often do the Reds get a legit
    Cy Young contender on their team? I think in my lifetime, maybe Soto and Danny Jackson. There's been other good pitchers,
    but not as good as Bauer was.

So while getting Bauer was a success, the other moves made it kind of moot. They had Bauer, Castillo and Gray and barely eeked out being over 500 and then got humiliated in the playoffs.

And then the cost of this is, we are probably stuck with Castellanos, Moustakas, Votto, Shogo, and Barnhart (signed through 2023) for a long time. Not a lot of room to improve the offense/defense (other than at SS, since that will be vacant this winter).
    So it looks like about 3 years of hoping the guys signed last winter will play better. That doesn't really excite me. Sure, I will
    watch anyhow, but I am not very hopeful.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

24. Likes:

50YrRedsFan (10-01-2020),TexasRedsFan (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    When you pay guys to be here for 1 year, you better win something.

They won nothing.

That's the textbook definition of a failure.
    I’d say believing you can thread the needle in one season is wrongheaded thinking. If that’s how they’re approaching it, then yeah it was a loser of a season, but with any luck, they can keep Bauer and give it another try next year.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I think most reasonable people would say this year was somewhere between a slight success and a very minor failure. I could really see someone voting anywhere in-between those. I would question anyone who would be way far out on either spectrum.

Going forward I think the biggest question is the Reds 3/4 hitters. Moose is a good .800 bat ancillary piece. Votto is probably around an .800 bat at this point. Castellanos has that potential, but this year he looked more like a good 2 hole hitter, not that 3 or 4 your build around. Reds really, really, really need Suarez to be that guy going forward. If he's not, I don't really see a 3 or 4 hole hitter on the team, and I don't see one in the upper minors waiting to burst onto the scene.
    I like to think of myself as a reasonable person; and I'd answer with a hard no. This team was sub .500 for 80% of the season, they made the playoffs because they went from 10 teams to 16.

They traded away bigtime prospects and spent bigtime money to be good.

And the biggest question going forward is not the 3/4 hitters. It's Bauer! How do they replace him if he leaves. Then it's SS/C, are the two near mlb ready prospects the Reds have in Stephenson and Garcia going to become established big leaguers, if not the Reds have 2 more big holes to fill.

28. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?