Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Was 2020 a successful season?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

80 61.54%
  • Yes

50 38.46%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

Re: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

I voted yes. They did something they haven't in quite some time....finish with a record above .500. They also made the playoffs, granted an increased number of teams made it, but they didn't set the parameters and other teams didn't make it.

Now, I could've also voted no. Expectations were super high. The didn't meet those. I am in full support of a change in management.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I’d say believing you can thread the needle in one season is wrongheaded thinking. If that’s how they’re approaching it, then yeah it was a loser of a season, but with any luck, they can keep Bauer and give it another try next year.
    They played for one year because they don't have the scouting, organizational discipline, or ownership to compete long-term.

And Bauer's already said goodbye on social -- so, back to the drawing board for a TOR starter.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

4. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    a team that everyone projected would make the playoffs (especially with over half the teams in MLB making the playoffs due to the four extra teams overall making it) barely sneaks in. then they get completely embarrassed in the two postseason games they did play.

if that's a "successful season" i'm glad i was never on a sports team with any of y'all.
    This. This season was terrible. We get a “participation ribbon” entry into the playoffs and we can’t even manufacture 1 run. We finish 31-31 when you count those 2 playoff games. That is not “success”. For a team many picked to win the division that is what you call underachieving. People should lose their jobs for a season like this. I depend on Reds baseball in my occupation and we probably had the most apathy this season in the 5 plus seasons I have relied on them. COVID is a big part of that but they had a chance to really give people something to root for in an overall tough year. They did none of the above. Yeah they made a great two week surge to play 2 more games but overall they were tough to watch.

6. Likes:

JFLegal (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Reaching .500 is such a lame threshold for success.

And nothing they did was sustainable. They had Bauer on a one year deal (spoiler: he's walking) and Castellanos on essentially a one year deal (also walking).

Unless Bobby C opens the wallet again, they're staring down the barrel of another losing season next year with this roster. But everyone on this board knows that the purse strings are gonna tighten back up with the claim of "Oh, we lost so much money in 2020..."
    Why would castellanos walk he's going to get less money on the open market than he's getting right now. He's strictly a DH
    Crazy Reds Fan

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

When you pay guys to be here for 1 year, you better win something.

They won nothing.

That's the textbook definition of a failure.
    That's fair.

Reaching .500 is such a lame threshold for success.

And nothing they did was sustainable. They had Bauer on a one year deal (spoiler: he's walking) and Castellanos on essentially a one year deal (also walking).

Unless Bobby C opens the wallet again, they're staring down the barrel of another losing season next year with this roster. But everyone on this board knows that the purse strings are gonna tighten back up with the claim of "Oh, we lost so much money in 2020..."
    Thinking of the roster for next year makes this season seem even less successful than it already was.

11. Likes:

onehand (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cast put a team on the field from 2010 to 2013 that went to the post season three times. Not winning a series is a disappointment for sure, but it’s hard not to consider that stretch a success.

From then on, it’s fair to criticize ownership, but they started out by putting together a winning team for a nice run.
    You're not wrong there. I would definitely say they're overall tenure is ownership has been a complete failure though.all I remember is him promising championship baseball to Cincinnati when he had his opening press conference. To me that's what makes it a failure he hasn't come close to a world championship.
    Crazy Reds Fan

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Hard no? Soft no? How about Hell no!!

They were trying to win and finished third in their division and seventh in their league. They got in the play-offs because 53% of the teams in baseball made it. They had a strong late season against the Pirates, a White Sox team that had clinched a spot and threw a pitcher from A Ball and a guy with an 1.6 HR/9 and an FIP over 5 against them,. Then they played a depleted Minnesota team that didn't have much to play for. Had they faced The White Sox and Twins in a different situation, they'd have lost 4 of 6.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

They played for one year because they don't have the scouting, organizational discipline, or ownership to compete long-term.

And Bauer's already said goodbye on social -- so, back to the drawing board for a TOR starter.
    You don’t have to convince me this organization is a trainwreck. But the question was: Do you consider 2020 a success? Given their severe lack of talent, I’d say yes.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You don’t have to convince me this organization is a trainwreck. But the question was: Do you consider 2020 a success? Given their severe lack of talent, I’d say yes.
    Ok, that's a fair statement. I can see how you can say the players played well, given their talent level.
    There's no right or wrong way to interpret the question.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ok, that's a fair statement. I can see how you can say the players played well, given their talent level.
    There's no right or wrong way to interpret the question.
    I don’t agree. I think each and every player underperformed to previous levels. Name one player that outperformed their talent level on the offensive side.

20. Likes:

MrRedSkull (10-01-2020),onehand (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

If I'm looking at this objectively, the failures in the 2010-2013 postseasons were much harder for me to stomach. By all rights this year's team shouldn't have even been there.

On one hand, we've improved (which isn't saying much considering how bad things got). But how did this offense fail so hard?

Going into this season if you'd have said "this offense will only be average" it would have been surprising. For it to be one of the worst offenses of all time?

22. Likes:

Bunting Bad (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),Tom Servo (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I like to think of myself as a reasonable person; and I'd answer with a hard no. This team was sub .500 for 80% of the season, they made the playoffs because they went from 10 teams to 16.

They traded away bigtime prospects and spent bigtime money to be good.

And the biggest question going forward is not the 3/4 hitters. It's Bauer! How do they replace him if he leaves. Then it's SS/C, are the two near mlb ready prospects the Reds have in Stephenson and Garcia going to become established big leaguers, if not the Reds have 2 more big holes to fill.
    I can see what you're saying on Bauer. But, I'm pretty comfortable with Castillo and Gray as an excellent top 2 in a rotation. I think Mahle took a step forward this year, and I'm comfortable with him as a 4. They should have the money to sign a 3 if Bauer leaves. I don't think they can sign a 3/4 level bat (Rendon, Freeman, Prime Votto etc....).

24. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),Tom Servo (10-01-2020)

No not really, other then the last few weeks of the season it was a lot of "eh" baseball, then to just show up and get humiliated in the playoffs, playoffs they wouldn't be close too in a usual season.
    Go Gators!

26. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),texasdave (10-01-2020)

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Yes, barely. It was a year where I thought we had to make the playoffs, and we did. We met the required goal, but checked none of the other boxes. I didn't find it to even be a fun team to watch. I don't particularly like the manager and think we have the worst 3rd base coach. The bullpen and lineup drove me crazy much of the season too. But in the end I voted yes because we made it to the dance even if we did just sit in the corner and watch the other teams have fun on the floor.

Next year my expectations will be higher so they damn well need to improve.

28. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?