Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

They call me "chef"

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Every time a really terrible, poorly reviewed Christian movie comes out, there are showings across America that are sold out and filled with people who absolutely love and support those movies. Right now, comedy has an almost equally rabid and passionate fan base of dudes who are believers in the gospel of 'edgy' comics who are trying to keep the 90s New York Comedy Cellar bro party alive. Dave Chappelle is especially skilled at comedy, a lot more than most of the people I'm subtweeting with this post, but it's a giant bummer that his grand revelations and expert skill are in service of some pretty out-dated, stale world views. There are a million things happening today that could use that kind of comic brilliance that aren't re-enforcing old dumb stuff. It's like if one of the greatest painters in the world decided to paint the Cleveland Indians logo to push back against social justice or make a point about culture. Uh. Ok. I guess?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The Good Place is the best comedy on TV, even if its not cool because its on a network. If it was on a streaming platform, it would win zillions of emmys. Blake Bortles rules.
    This is an old post, but I had to find it to thank you for it. Never would have bothered with The Good Place if not for your post, and the wife and I are big fans. Need to get through Season 3 on Netflix before Season 4 comes out in a few weeks.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This is an old post, but I had to find it to thank you for it. Never would have bothered with The Good Place if not for your post, and the wife and I are big fans. Need to get through Season 3 on Netflix before Season 4 comes out in a few weeks.
    It went on a pretty incredible run from the end of season 1 to season 2. One of the sneakiest comedies I've ever watched in real time. That twist is so good. It was a smart, funny comedy literally hiding as a network comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Every time a really terrible, poorly reviewed Christian movie comes out, there are showings across America that are sold out and filled with people who absolutely love and support those movies. Right now, comedy has an almost equally rabid and passionate fan base of dudes who are believers in the gospel of 'edgy' comics who are trying to keep the 90s New York Comedy Cellar bro party alive. Dave Chappelle is especially skilled at comedy, a lot more than most of the people I'm subtweeting with this post, but it's a giant bummer that his grand revelations and expert skill are in service of some pretty out-dated, stale world views. There are a million things happening today that could use that kind of comic brilliance that aren't re-enforcing old dumb stuff. It's like if one of the greatest painters in the world decided to paint the Cleveland Indians logo to push back against social justice or make a point about culture. Uh. Ok. I guess?
    I’m mixed on it for the reasons you just laid out. Just from a craft stand point, it’s incredible. The Anthony Bourdain joke he kicks it off with is absolutely hilarious. When he gets into the more controversial stuff, I feel like there is an element of poking fun at himself and people who take seriously what he is trying to be humorous about. But I’m not sure it’s being taken that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I’m mixed on it
    Did you laugh?

Did you laugh?
    At parts of it.

Enjoyed the Dark Crystal series much more than I thought I would. urGoh and The Heretic were fantastic. The voice actors they got for this show are top notch as well.

The Bill Burr stand-up special came out on Netflix yesterday. I just think Bill's not my cup of tea. It wasn't bad, but I didn't get much beyond a mild smile. Not much laughter. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Chappelle special.

The Bill Burr stand-up special came out on Netflix yesterday. I just think Bill's not my cup of tea. It wasn't bad, but I didn't get much beyond a mild smile. Not much laughter. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Chappelle special.
    I'm the same with Burr. His comedy does nothing for me. The angry guy schtick doesn't generally work for me, like Lewis Black.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Just getting around to the Patriot on Amazon. Just a few eps in but enjoying a lot so far. Feels like Wes Anderson trying to make a James Bond show.
    Last edited by Stray; 10-01-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Finished Patriot. I was definitely entertained, tho idk if I even liked it overall. It was funny, sad and had its moments...but so much of it felt forced and fake. Whether it be the Coen Bros or Wes Anderson, their styles are unique but always came across as genuine...Patriot tried to shoot for a little of both and didn't quite make it.

But John's character was fantastic and the dude who played him (and sang the songs) was fantastic. The song about Charles Grodin and the French Gun were my two favs.

The Mandalorian is worth the 7 day trial, and I'm hooked till it wraps up. I haven't been a fan of the new Star Wars movies for loads of reasons (other than Rogue One which was awesome), but basically they didn't even feel like Star Wars. But at least for one episode the Mandalorian did, and yea...totally worth it guys.

14. Likes:

RiverRat13 (11-26-2019)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    The Mandalorian is worth the 7 day trial, and I'm hooked till it wraps up. I haven't been a fan of the new Star Wars movies for loads of reasons (other than Rogue One which was awesome), but basically they didn't even feel like Star Wars. But at least for one episode the Mandalorian did, and yea...totally worth it guys.
    It felt like a space western. I really dug it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

Stray (11-13-2019)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Shows deserving props that I don't remember praising on one of these threads

Amazon Prime
    Undone
    Jack Ryan
    The Boys
    Mr. Robot (a USA Series. But all seasons except this one are on Prime now)
    Good Omens
    Goliath

PBS
    Endeavour
    Mrs. Wilson
    Grantchester

HBO
    True Detective Season 1 and 3

Netflix
    Russian Doll
    Mindhunter
    Riverdale
    Collateral
    Umbrella Academy
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Shows deserving props that I don't remember praising on one of these threads

Amazon Prime
    Undone
    Jack Ryan
    The Boys
    Mr. Robot (a USA Series. But all seasons except this one are on Prime now)
    Good Omens
    Goliath

PBS
    Endeavour
    Mrs. Wilson
    Grantchester

HBO
    True Detective Season 1 and 3

Netflix
    Russian Doll
    Mindhunter
    Riverdale
    Collateral
    Umbrella Academy
    Jack Ryan ---> Season 1 was a lot better than season 2.

My netflix list would look completely different, I think they are beginning to put out a lot of good content - which they needed to do with Disney starting streaming services.

Turn Off Ads?