Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams speaks

Dick Williams speaks

“I’ve gotten better about recusing myself from social media and talk radio. The main reason that I’ve done that, with all due respect, is that most of the ideas that are shared on social media and talk radio are shared by people that don’t have access to the same information as I do or my staff does,” Williams said. “For example, things going on away from the field in players’ lives, injuries that they’re dealing with that aren’t disclosed.

“I don’t know of anyone outside of my inner circle that has seen a single pitch at [alternate training site] Prasco [Park] this year to know what we think and why we think it about the players that are there and what we think they can do when they come up. We may not be right. We may not be wrong, but we’re doing the best we can with the information, and we have a lot of information that the general public doesn’t have access to.

“We go back and review them and the decisions that were made. The decisions [of] this coaching staff have been made with great rationale. The main glaring statistic for us is the underperformance of the offense and the batting average on balls in play. We’re definitely focused on if there are things we can do differently to change the outcomes there in terms of players’ approach, but a lot of that is bad luck and I don’t want to blame that on the wrong person.”
    “I would be extremely disappointed if we don’t make the playoffs and I’m sure the players, staff, ownership, everybody had high expectations for this season,” Williams said. “There is a third of it left, just about, and it’s time to get out there and perform. I haven’t been any happier any of the years with the results that we’ve had, but this is the year with the highest expectations in recent memory, so the disappointment will be far greater.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/dick-w...-third-of-2020

this is the year with the highest expectations in recent memory, so the disappointment will be far greater" is the closest you get to any red meat.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Hamilton95 (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Williams speaks

Dick Williams should listen to Aaron Burr...

“Speak less, smile more.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

5. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (09-11-2020)

God I hate being a Reds fan
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-09-2020),CarolinaRedleg (09-09-2020),Red Raindog (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020),reds77 (09-09-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-09-2020),Shatz1988 (09-08-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-08-2020)

What he says may be right, but it’s like an argument with my wife. Even though I might be right, I’m going to lose.

Best to remember your cliches, Dick.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

forfreelin04 (09-08-2020)

I know people want blood, but I find Williams clear-eyed and level-headed. I see and hear a process that is thoughtful and focused on the right things.

I share the same anger and frustration with the outcome of the season as you guys do -- I basically can't bring myself to actually watch the games. But I am cautious not to confuse my anger for cogent analysis of what's actually going wrong and what needs to change.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-09-2020),BillDoran (09-10-2020),CaiGuy (09-09-2020),CySeymour (09-09-2020),dubc47834 (09-09-2020),Ed Otten (09-09-2020),Edd Roush (09-09-2020),FlightRick (09-09-2020),Hamilton95 (09-09-2020),HammerTime (09-09-2020),Old school 1983 (09-09-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-08-2020),RedEye (09-09-2020),redsfandan (09-09-2020),Ron Madden (09-09-2020),SirFelixCat (09-08-2020),westofyou (09-09-2020)

He basically said that everyone watching is dumb and the front office knows everything. What a joke. All of the information they have is obviously garbage.

13. Likes:

Crumbley (09-09-2020),Falls City Beer (09-09-2020),Hamilton95 (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020),texasdave (09-08-2020)

For example, things going on away from the field in players’ lives, injuries that they’re dealing with that aren’t disclosed.
    I heard this from two different people earlier in the season that wouldn't get into specifics, but at least it could potentially explain why half the time the team seems like they're just going through the motions.

It's a poorly constructed team that looks entirely unfocused. Plenty of blame to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I know people want blood, but I find Williams clear-eyed and level-headed. I see and hear a process that is thoughtful and focused on the right things.

I share the same anger and frustration with the outcome of the season as you guys do -- I basically can't bring myself to actually watch the games. But I am cautious not to confuse my anger for cogent analysis of what's actually going wrong and what needs to change.
    If it was a thoughtful process why is the position player side of the team made up of a bunch of statues that swing for the fences every AB?

Tonight’s game is a microcosm of the season. The reds went against a bad pitcher and because of the wind blowing in and taking away the HR, they didn’t score a run.

This is a poorly constructed team any way you slice it. It wasn’t thoughtful. It was the son of an owner reading too many books about sabrmetrics and thinking to himself “I can do this!”

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-09-2020),CarolinaRedleg (09-09-2020),Crumbley (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020),TexasRedsFan (09-08-2020)

Honest question: What are these right things that he is focused on?

18. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-09-2020),malcontent (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

[QUOTE=RedTeamGo!;4149413]If it was a thoughtful process why is the position player side of the team made up of a bunch of statues that swing for the fences every AB?

Tonight’s game is a microcosm of the season. The reds went against a bad pitcher and because of the wind blowing in and taking away the HR, they didn’t score a run.

This is a poorly constructed team any way you slice it. It wasn’t thoughtful. It was the son of an owner reading too many books about sabrmetrics and thinking to himself “I can do this!”
    Yep. If only they had more guys with grit who slapped the ball the other way. I'm sure that's what's wrong.

The Reds are middle of the pack in strikeouts. They lead the league in walks. Their ISO is solidly above average. The offense is struggling because their BABIP sucks. They aren't getting the singles they've "earned" with the contact they've made.

While their flyball tendencies certainly hurt their BABIP, the Dodgers and Phillies both hit more FB than the Reds and are doing just fine.

I know if feels like a cop out to blame bad luck. But when you're experiencing horrible luck, you don't make things better by pretending like it's actually the result of something else and fixing that thing instead.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-09-2020),Edd Roush (09-09-2020),FlightRick (09-09-2020),mbgrayson (09-09-2020),MikeS21 (09-09-2020),Plus Plus (09-09-2020)

[QUOTE=RedsManRick;4149421]
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If it was a thoughtful process why is the position player side of the team made up of a bunch of statues that swing for the fences every AB?

Yep. If only they had more guys with grit who slapped the ball the other way. I'm sure that's what's wrong.

The Reds are middle of the pack in strikeouts. They lead the league in walks. Their ISO is solidly above average. The offense is struggling because their BABIP sucks. They aren't getting the singles they've "earned" with the contact they've made.

While their flyball tendencies certainly hurt their BABIP, the Dodgers and Phillies both hit more FB than the Reds and are doing just fine.

I know if feels like a cop out to blame bad luck. But when you're experiencing horrible luck, you don't make things better by pretending like it's actually the result of something else and fixing that thing instead.
    I didn’t say anything about gritty players.

The BABIP is low because they are swinging for the fences. You stated you don’t watch the games. It shows.

22. Likes:

forfreelin04 (09-08-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

I enjoyed it more when Gabbo spoke.

In other words: it's the beginning of the end and he knows it.

Very rarely, if ever does this 'You morons don't know a thing' spiel from an executive result in longevity or even newly acquired compitence.

25. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-09-2020),joshua (09-09-2020),malcontent (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

You were the one who taught me the Branch Rickey phrase, "luck is the residue of design."

27. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020),wally post (09-09-2020)

Nobody here wants blood. We just want Williams fired.

29. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

Turn Off Ads?