Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds 2020 Tie Breakers

Reds 2020 Tie Breakers

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt
    So I'm going to attempt to go through all of the scenarios where the Reds would be the winner of a tie-breaker vs the remaining key contenders. The Reds have already lost the tie-breaker to the Cardinals, so they have to beat them outright by record to finish in front of them.

Reds Tie-break scenarios with Phillies:
    If Phillies lose 2 more games to the Nats than the Reds lose to the Brewers, Reds get the tie-breaker

Reds Tie-break scenarios with Marlins:
    If Marlins lose 3 more games to the Braves than the Reds lose to the Brewers, Reds get the tie-breaker

Reds Tie-break scenarios with Giants:
    If Giants lose 2 more games the rest of the way than the Reds lose to the Brewers, Reds get the tie-breaker

Reds Tie-break scenarios with Brewers:
    Reds win at least 2 of 3 in this series, Reds get tie-breaker
    Reds win 1 of 3, if Brewers win 2 or fewer against STL, Reds get tie-breaker, otherwise Brewers get it
    Reds win 0 of 3, Brewers get tie-breaker

I think these are all accurate. The Reds can have the same intra-divisional record as the Brewers & Phillies and still get the tie-breaker because they win the 3rd tie-break rule. They need to have a better intra-divisional record than the Marlins & Giants to get it vs them.

And of course, none of this matters if they just finish with a better record than 7 other NL teams.

If you think something is wrong in these scenarios, please point it out. I did all of this by eyeballing it and math'd in my head, so I may have messed up some mundane detail.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 2020 Tie Breakers

What a mess to try and keep straight. I am impressed he did this in his head.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-21-2020)

Just win every game.
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

SirFelixCat (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Just win every game.
    Wish it was as easy as saying so.

I'm trying to avoid looking at all the possible outcomes and instead focusing my energies on praying to the baseball gods for a playoff appearance.

Turn Off Ads?