Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Trevor Bauer should have been dealt!!

Re: Trevor Bauer should have been dealt!!

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Trevor Bauer was asked if he's done enough to win Cy Young: "I don't know how you could see it any other way." #Reds

2. Likes:

Crumbley (09-24-2020),Edd Roush (09-24-2020),podgejeff_ (09-25-2020),Revering4Blue (09-24-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If Bauer should stay with the Reds forget about a Barnhart trade.

He likes throwing to Tucker, or so he says, and would probably insist that it continue.

I wonder if they could have got Scott Moss back for him?

6. Likes:

Crumbley (09-24-2020),M2 (09-24-2020),Revering4Blue (09-24-2020),Tom Servo (09-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I wonder if they could have got Scott Moss back for him?
    I had forgotten we had people wringing their hands over Scott Moss.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Chip R (09-25-2020),HammerTime (09-28-2020),kaldaniels (09-25-2020),podgejeff_ (09-25-2020),Tom Servo (09-24-2020)

FWIW it looks like Moss is on the Indians 12 man supplemental player pool for the playoff.

Counterpoint: It was good that Bauer was not dealt.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

11. Likes:

M2 (09-24-2020),podgejeff_ (09-25-2020),redsman2007 (09-24-2020),SirFelixCat (09-25-2020)

If this year has taught Reds fans anything (I hope), it's that it is always better to be dispensing the magic beans and acquiring proven talent, rather than the opposite.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

bm1475 (09-25-2020),HammerTime (09-28-2020),OesterPoster (09-24-2020),WrongVerb (09-24-2020)

I was on board with trading Bauer and DeSclafani....I admit Reds were right to keep them.

15. Likes:

HammerTime (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If this year has taught Reds fans anything (I hope), it's that it is always better to be dispensing the magic beans and acquiring proven talent, rather than the opposite.
    Does it mean anything if we end up like 2012 and 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Does it mean anything if we end up like 2012 and 2015?
    Or 2020?

The Reds could have sold low for magic beans a few weeks ago. Glad they didn't. Hope they never do again. That's not how you win anymore. Tank and spank or whatever? Doesn't work. Just creates a losing culture you have to dig out of.

People used to say, "Well look how it worked out for Houston!" Turns out they had a little help, didn't they?

You have to try to win, every season. And try to fleece the handful of teams still left that covet magic beans over proven talent.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

18. Likes:

fondfoat (09-26-2020),M2 (09-25-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I had forgotten we had people wringing their hands over Scott Moss.
    People here always complain about giving up prospects. It could be the lowest player on the organizational depth chart and they would complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

bm1475 (09-25-2020),westofyou (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Mahle, Antone, Votto, Sims, Iglesias, Suarez, Winker, Lorenzen, Garrett and Castillo were all magic beans in our organization at one point. Not to mention guys like Barnhart, Senzel, Stephenson, Garcia and Disco.

When you have actual major league talent on the roster to allow for the growth of said magic beans, good things happen. Can't rush the beans. But our franchise needs beans to grow to compete.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-25-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    People here always complain about giving up prospects. It could be the lowest player on the organizational depth chart and they would complain.
    To the prospect guys, every prospect is a potential future superstar. Everyone already knows all about every deficiency of virtually every big league regular.

Also, many believe the only sustainable model of success for this franchise is to have a roster largely composed of (cheap) pre-arb players, which is probably accurate, but too many things need to change re: finding guys who can actually develop through the minors and become successful major leaguers for this to be an option. Nobody would be talking dismissively about magic beans if the Reds had traded Mike Trout for a 1.5-year rental.

24. Likes:

Chip R (09-25-2020),westofyou (09-25-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Traded at the deadline?

I thought he was non-tendered in the offseason , along with Iggy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In semi-defense of the original post in this thread [and forgive me if the following was previously noted in this thread], in 2008 Paul Daugherty was advocating that the Reds trade prospects to acquire Joe Blanton: The prospects proposed to be trade included Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto and Homer Bailey. Sometimes the magic beans do grow.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

27. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?