Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams

Dick Williams

Should he be held responsible? Can he be held responsible? When will he resign? This coming offseason? Does he give himself another season?

We all know he can’t be fired, so he will have to make the decision.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Williams

I thought we had now all decided that Williams did a good job last offseason and that the draft was excellent.

It's hard to keep up.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (06-12-2019),cincyinco (06-15-2019),Hillsdale87 (06-12-2019),Marc D (06-12-2019),Norm Chortleton (06-12-2019),RedEye (06-12-2019),redsmetz (06-14-2019),redsrule2500 (06-21-2019),Ron Madden (06-12-2019),Tony Cloninger (06-12-2019)

I still think it was a smart offseason. The LA trade was a worthy gamble, but a low stakes one. It isn't paying off, but I don't blame him for trying. The Gray trade-and-sign was excellent. The Roark trade was fine.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

6. Likes:

BillDoran (06-12-2019),cincyinco (06-15-2019),Griffey012 (06-12-2019),malcontent (06-12-2019),redsmetz (06-14-2019),Ron Madden (06-12-2019),Tony Cloninger (06-12-2019),WrongVerb (06-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I thought we had now all decided that Williams did a good job last offseason and that the draft was excellent.

It's hard to keep up.
    The draft was very good, has little to do with Williams.

As for the offseason, any goodwill was immediately shot when he announced Senzel had to go to AAA to work on defense. Before you say it, this was before the injury.

How does our record with Senzel compare to our record without Senzel?

9. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I still think it was a smart offseason. The LA trade was a worthy gamble, but a low stakes one. It isn't paying off, but I don't blame him for trying. The Gray trade-and-sign was excellent. The Roark trade was fine.
    Im not wringing my hands over losing them, but we did give up value in the LA trade - two solid prospects, one of which is a SP tearing up the minors for LA right now.

- - - Updated - - -

How does our record with Senzel compare to our record without Senzel?

Not sure, but they started the season 1-8 putting an 0 for the season Schebler out there.

11. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-21-2019)

It's hard to keep up.
    I think we decided the things we like get credited to Nick Krall and the things we don't are Dick's doing.

It did just dawn on me that odds seem awfully high that the Reds would pick up John Mozeliak if the Cardinals were to axe him given their relative mediocrity of the last few seasons.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

Chip R (06-12-2019),Ron Madden (06-12-2019)

The trades were smart, but they still left the team with glaring holes, which was pointed out (and ignored by many) at the time.

The team is quite weak on defense, base running, and the bullpen. They started the season with Jesse Winker as the backup CF. That speaks volumes, imo, about how poorly the team was constructed. This was not a winning team coming out of spring training, so the current record really shouldn’t be all that surprising.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The trades were smart, but they still left the team with glaring holes, which was pointed out (and ignored by many) at the time.

The team is quite weak on defense, base running, and the bullpen. They started the season with Jesse Winker as the backup CF. That speaks volumes, imo, about how poorly the team was constructed. This was not a winning team coming out of spring training, so the current record really shouldn’t be all that surprising.
    For the record, it’s not surprising to me - i predicted 72 wins this season prior to the season. Just because it isn’t surprising doesn’t mean the reds organization isn’t in shambles right now.

16. Likes:

757690 (06-12-2019)

I hope he sticks around because we are heading in the right direction.

The results W-L haven't been there but so much else has been. We have the 4th best ERA in the league, 9th best Pythag. If you knew that coming into the season you would all be thinking Dick was getting GM of the year awards. Derrick Johnson has been a brilliant hire, Turner Ward maybe not so much. The Sonny Gray trade and extension look great. The performance we have from Wood and Puig is basically the worst case scenario outcome for that trade, but that doesn't make it a bad decision. No one predicted Puig to fall off the map. Dietrich and Iglesias have been solid pickups.

They need to figure out what happened to the offense.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The team is quite weak on defense, base running, and the bullpen.
    So is that why they aren't hitting?

Also they've got the best bullpen ERA in the NL, this "the bullpen stinks" narrative that's cropping up lately is weird.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

cincyinco (06-16-2019),Griffey012 (06-12-2019),JaxRed (06-12-2019),ochoa30 (06-12-2019),redsmetz (06-14-2019),Ron Madden (06-12-2019),Spanky (06-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Also they've got the best bullpen ERA in the NL, this "the bullpen stinks" narrative that's cropping up lately is weird.
    The defense has been fine as well, even Winker in centerfield wasn't that bad. It is literally the borderline Miami Marlins offense that is killing us.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-12-2019)

Why aren't they hitting? That's what the staff should have been able to figure out. Myself personally I think it's just the lack of Talent on offense
    Crazy Reds Fan

24. Likes:

Old NDN (06-13-2019)

They lost a middle of the lineup hitter in spring training. Granted, Dietrich has done well, but he only just started playing everyday, and now he’s in a slump. And Votto’s slow start has been a big factor.

As for the pen, I posted this in another thread:

ERA is not a good indicator of a reliever’s success. Even less so for an bullpen overall.

The problem with the Reds pen is that it is full of solid middle relievers, and lacks true late inning hammers. Garrett is the only one who can be counted on in close games. A contending team needs two to three solid late inning relievers, guys who can shut down a rally nearly every time.

Right now, most the the Reds pen are guys who are successful around two out of three times, which, which means they fail a third of them time, which is unacceptable for a contending team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Why aren't they hitting?

Turn Off Ads?