Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I bet Rays fans were really upset about trading Chris Archer...
    Non sequitur
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    If, and I know it's a big if, Bauer is resigned then I would expect someone like Gray to be moved as a cost cutting move. Otherwise, I'd think someone like Iglesias would be much more likely to be moved.
    That's my thought as well. Krall is just exploring options in case Bauer actually signs with the Reds. Maybe they sign Bauer, which will push them to their limit budget-wise, but trading Gray allows them to sign a SS free-agent and get some talent in return? It's worth exploring. Reds need to remain active in the market if they want to return to the playoffs.

Reds are probably stuck with Raisel's contract until its end. Gray's money could be moved in a heartbeat, and would bring back some pretty good talent to boot.

4. Likes:

CySeymour (11-24-2020),Revering4Blue (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Iglesias - with a $9 million contract? Sure, Reds would rather trade Iggy than Gray. But what is the market for a $9 million reliever this year?

Brad Hand, at $10 million, was rejected by every team in baseball off waivers. No player exchange required.

This is why the Gray rumor may have some validity, as a concept being considered. Gray’s one of the few Reds that could bring a young and cheap haul. If Reds are looking for that haul, Iggy isn’t a substitute.
    See, that's why I post thoughts so I can get solid responses arguing why it's isn't quite that simple. Thanks, Kc
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

6. Likes:

Kc61 (11-24-2020)

Any good front office listens to offers for any of their players.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-24-2020),Revering4Blue (11-24-2020),westofyou (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    If, and I know it's a big if, Bauer is resigned then I would expect someone like Gray to be moved as a cost cutting move. Otherwise, I'd think someone like Iglesias would be much more likely to be moved.
    I think any talk of moving Gray, even if it is just chumming the water, means that the Bauer ship has sailed.

If you bring Bauer back, it is to go for a deep run in the playoffs, and that means keeping he, Castiillo and Gray at the front of that rotation. What this says is the Reds hope to stay relevant, maybe sneak into an expanded playoff format spot, and just be happy with that.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Any good front office listens to offers for any of their players.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    Been thirty years since the Reds were in the World Series, the current roster isn't close, moves will definitely happen, some pretty big too. Even the Rays who got to the WS are listening on Snell. With the cost of players these days and low revenue coming in due to Covid I expect so many moves this year our heads will spin

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-24-2020),Ron Madden (11-24-2020)

I’ll join the contingent saying this better be an “only if they’re bowled over” type scenario because if The Reds really are about to go cheapskate again after one season two games above .500 I’ll have about hit my limit with this ownership group.

Being a Cincinnati sports fan is one punch to the groin after another.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

14. Likes:

Banshee (11-24-2020),Boss-Hog (11-24-2020),REDREAD (11-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Being a Cincinnati sports fan is one punch to the groin after another.
    I'll go as far as saying that that's being most sports fans, but being is Cincinnati sports fan is the kick in the face you get when you fall to the ground after the groin punch

16. Likes:

Banshee (11-24-2020),The Operator (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    I think any talk of moving Gray, even if it is just chumming the water, means that the Bauer ship has sailed.

If you bring Bauer back, it is to go for a deep run in the playoffs, and that means keeping he, Castiillo and Gray at the front of that rotation. What this says is the Reds hope to stay relevant, maybe sneak into an expanded playoff format spot, and just be happy with that.
    Yeah, I agree that trading Gray only makes sense with Bauer gone. Without Trevor, Reds might conclude they just aren’t good enough as currently structured.

Older, unathletic, bad defense, lot of one dimensional power hitters, slow team, pitching good but not great - one might conclude.

So try to re-tool without sinking into a rebuild. Get a few key younger players who can add the missing pieces along with the in-house kids near ready, Lodolo, Greene, Tyler S, etc.

But without Bauer and Gray, you have a serious rotation issue, so it’s not that easy to re-boot. There’s the rub.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-24-2020 at 12:48 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (11-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Iglesias - with a $9 million contract? Sure, Reds would rather trade Iggy than Gray. But what is the market for a $9 million reliever this year?

Brad Hand, at $10 million, was rejected by every team in baseball off waivers. No player exchange required.

This is why the Gray rumor may have some validity, as a concept being considered. Gray’s one of the few Reds that could bring a young and cheap haul. If Reds are looking for that haul, Iggy isn’t a substitute.
    They could probably trade Iggy+cash for something, as he is still a solid reliever. So they may get a little something back and save maybe $4-5 million, if they were so inclined to go that route.

Of course, that would really blow a hole in the bullpen.

I wouldn’t have a problem with a retool. This current team doesn’t impress me for 2021 and even less long term.

I don’t think it needs to be blown up, just re-tooled, and trading Gray for a big package would be a smart way to re-tool. It would mean a 2021 similar to 2020, decent but requiring some luck and breaks, but if done right, it could set up the Reds for powerful team moving forward for years.

I think a big obstacle in doing this is the mentality of the fans after the whole tanking experience. Fans may not be patient enough for it. It seems many on this board are not that patient.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

That rotation is going to be a nightmare again if they trade Gray. At that point it’s Castillo and ??????.

If they trade him, I’m taking it as waving a white flag for at least the next 3-4 years. I’m out if it comes down to that. I guess Castellini has a short memory, otherwise he might remember how empty GABP was the last 5 years, the whole reason they started trying recently to begin with.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That rotation is going to be a nightmare again if they trade Gray. At that point it’s Castillo and ??????.

If they trade him, I’m taking it as waving a white flag for at least the next 3-4 years. I’m out if it comes down to that. I guess Castellini has a short memory, otherwise he might remember how empty GABP was the last 5 years, the whole reason they started trying recently to begin with.
    If the Reds trade Gray in a salary dump, get little in return for him, and don’t spend the money saved on any additions, then every Reds fan should be furious.

But that doesn’t seem like the plan. My guess is the Reds will only trade Gray in a big deal and either get a quality starter back in the trade or use the money to get a replacement. It will likely be just one piece in bigger plan with lots of other moves.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-24-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Reds trade Gray in a salary dump, get little in return for him, and don’t spend the money saved on any additions, then every Reds fan should be furious.

But that doesn’t seem like the plan. My guess is the Reds will only trade Gray in a big deal and either get a quality starter back in the trade or use the money to get a replacement. It will likely be just one piece in bigger plan with lots of other moves.
    I just don’t see the point in trading arguably your best starter just to try to get another starter. And there won’t be a player of Gray’s caliber available for the money they’d save by trading him.

If it happens, I see no way that it’s going represent anything but penny pinching.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (11-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I just don’t see the point in trading arguably your best starter just to try to get another starter. And there won’t be a player of Gray’s caliber available for the money they’d save by trading him.

If it happens, I see no way that it’s going represent anything but penny pinching.
    You trade Gray to get a long term solution at SS, then add a lesser but decent starter.

It could be a disaster, but it also good be a smart move. I’ll wait until the move happens, if it ever does, before getting angry over it.

Turn Off Ads?