Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Castellini Is Still A Believer

Re: Bob Castellini Is Still A Believer

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I love soccer, but MLS sucks and everyone who knows the game knows this.

And everyone loves a winner. If team wins, the fans come. Let’s not act like the Reds are doomed to their current state for the rest of eternity.
    Not saying they are going to be this bad forever, but they have 4 winning seasons since 2000. Going to go out on a limb and assume they finish under .500 this year - 4 out of 18 is quite bad.

MLS certainly isn’t the best, but EPL is becoming more and more popular here. I have friends in their mid 30s who used to be huge baseball fans, and we used to talk Reds Baseball all the time. Now they all talk about Tottenham and when I bring up the Reds they just kind of nod and go back to talking EPL soccer. Anecdotal, of course, but I don’t think it’s that abnormal.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Kinsm (04-25-2018),REDREAD (04-26-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I love soccer, but MLS sucks and everyone who knows the game knows this.

And everyone loves a winner. If team wins, the fans come. Let’s not act like the Reds are doomed to their current state for the rest of eternity.
    You have your blinders on if you haven't noticed the growth in soccer over the past 20 years.

This is Big Bob's 13th season as owner, unless something incredible happens this year he'll finish this season with 3 winning seasons out of those 13. Just 3 seasons above .500!!!

6. Likes:

REDREAD (04-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not saying they are going to be this bad forever, but they have 4 winning seasons since 2000. Going to go out on a limb and assume they finish under .500 this year - 4 out of 18 is quite bad.

MLS certainly isn’t the best, but EPL is becoming more and more popular here. I have friends in their mid 30s who used to be huge baseball fans, and we used to talk Reds Baseball all the time. Now they all talk about Tottenham and when I bring up the Reds they just kind of nod and go back to talking EPL soccer. Anecdotal, of course, but I don’t think it’s that abnormal.
    Yep they are destined for another losing season. Maybe 2019 will bring some hope.

Lets not confuse the MLS with the EPL. Seriously, the level of competition is quite different. I don't deny that soccer is growing in this country, I just think that if/when the Reds get good, there won't be a comparison between going to a Reds game of a FCC game. In a terrible season last year the Reds drew on average 22,700 fans per game. If a MLS FCC could get even close to that they would be ecstatic.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (04-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Yep they are destined for another losing season. Maybe 2019 will bring some hope.

Lets not confuse the MLS with the EPL. Seriously, the level of competition is quite different. I don't deny that soccer is growing in this country, I just think that if/when the Reds get good, there won't be a comparison between going to a Reds game of a FCC game. In a terrible season last year the Reds drew on average 22,700 fans per game. If a MLS FCC could get even close to that they would be ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Heavily.

The first sentence from C. Trent's writeup about yesterday's game "Most April wins don’t end with the owner, general manager and former general manager visiting the clubhouse."

Between that and being around for the firing of Price and all, Walt sure is a busy guy for someone deposed in a coup by the Williamses.
    Sigh.

You guys are the only one saying it's a coup. It's beyond absurd how dense you are you being with this nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    So the one baseball operations decision that he should have full control over and decide on he was not a big part of? And then gets his nose into key decisions on the front end of the process? That is completely backwards.

I would also fully support the notion that Bob is not particularly knowledgeable about the game of baseball.

Ultimately, he's a big part of the problem. He's the boss and allowed to hire the best leadership he can get.
    He's not the only controlling owner, so he's never had full control over anything. He's not the boss, and never has been.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I don't know, it would appease a lot of fans but from all accounts the Reds FO isn't exactly happy with some of the comments Larkin has made regarding this rebuild.
    Which comments? I'm drawing a blank.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I’m not confusing the two. I do think younger fans are becoming more interested in soccer than baseball and football, though. EPL is on tv all the time.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

M2 (04-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Which comments? I'm drawing a blank.
    WLW was jabbering about it lately.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

FC Cincy will get that. Especially in 20 years if an entire generation is turned off by their local baseball club. There won't be enough people like you around. I'm as diehard as they come and I rarely go to the stadium anymore, I'm amazed the Reds average that now.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

He's not the only controlling owner, so he's never had full control over anything. He's not the boss, and never has been.
    Right. He's just the CEO and has the ability to make baseball decisions.

Besides that, he's not the boss and has no power or control.

Sometimes it's better not to say anything.

Maybe this is a new MLB thing, look at Jeter with the marlins, insult the fans, see how many still show up.
    Go Gators!

19. Likes:

Crumbley (04-25-2018)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don’t think there is a worse thing an owner can publicly say than responding to “the fans are tired of losing” with “I don’t give a """"spit""""”

This is my jump the shark moment with Bob C. You gotta go, pal.

21. Likes:

membengal (04-25-2018),REDREAD (04-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Right. He's just the CEO and has the ability to make baseball decisions.

Besides that, he's not the boss and has no power or control.
    The three agreed he should be CEO. But all three are controlling owners. All three are the boss. Cast is more the PR face of the ownership group, than the only decision maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don’t think there is a worse thing an owner can publicly say than responding to “the fans are tired of losing” with “I don’t give a """"spit""""”

This is my jump the shark moment with Bob C. You gotta go, pal.
    But that's not what he said.

He said he thinks this team has talent on it, and can win eventually. Some fans may think he's wrong about that, but he doesn't care.

He's saying he's tired of losing too, but sees light at the end of the tunnel. There's a healthy debate about whether or not he's correct about that, but he's not saying he doesn't care about the losing. He's saying the exact opposite.

Turn Off Ads?