Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

Re: When we get baseball again, what will baseball be?

I’d like to have regional series of games where they travel by train.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

In news from a world where I wish I lived, the Reds won today 4-3. Castillo went 6 strong, giving up a 2 run homer, striking out 7 and walking 1. He was followed by Garrett who pitched a scoreless 7th, Lorenzen who gave up an unearned run and Iglesias who struck out the side in the 9th. The big blow for the offense was in the 5th inning, when Votto walked and two batters later, Moose drove a homer into the left center seats, giving the Reds a 4-2 lead at the time. The next game is Opening Night and Sonny is on the hill the Reds.

4. Likes:

CaiGuy (03-26-2020),Edd Roush (03-26-2020),Ron Gant (03-26-2020)

Pretty cool video I saw earlier with Mike Trout narrating.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-trout-...day-2020-video

A Champions League game between Atalanta (from Bergamo, Italy) and Valencia (Spain) seems to have been a "biological bomb" for the spread of coronavirus in those countries - https://nypost.com/2020/03/26/how-a-...ological-bomb/.

I'm thinking even if we get sports, there's not going to be people in the stands until we have a vaccine.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Seems like they're formulating schedules for either a June start or a July start with expanded rosters, regular double headers, extending the season into November or longer.

Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, obviously, but let's hope. I, for one, need hope.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-27-2020),Ron Madden (03-27-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Seems like they're formulating schedules for either a June start or a July start with expanded rosters, regular double headers, extending the season into November or longer.

Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, obviously, but let's hope. I, for one, need hope.
    I hope given the concerns about a second wave rolling through in the fall that there is a provision in place to end the regular season immediately if there are signs of a second wave and start the playoffs/World Series early.

There's a limit to how many double headers they can play. I would say two per week max. I hope they don't go crazy with those.

I don't see any way they can plan for an early cancellation of the season. If they cancel early then it stops right there. I doubt it will come to that, though

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Looks like 29 players per roster, temporarily.

Should help Rule V guys like Payton stick around (for awhile). Perhaps a CF defensive caddy/ pinch runner (Jankowksi?) or a third catcher (Farmer?) or a utility infielder (Blandino?).

I'd guess 15 pitchers, 14 position players.

From the Reds' perspective, some of the NRI guys have to like this development. Tyler Thornburg, Nate Jones, and David Carpenter might all make the team. More likely, with multiple doubleheaders likely, Tyler Mahle becomes a major weapon as a sixth starter. (AAA rotations also become vital.)

Would wonder if they would defer to 7 inning games for the double headers, like the minor leagues.

The 1943 Reds played 36 DH's, 1944 played 35... wartime baseball and no union though

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-27-2020),Falls City Beer (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The 1943 Reds played 36 DH's, 1944 played 35... wartime baseball and no union though
    Different times. Pitchers were used to shorter rest between starts. Fewer bullpen arms needed

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Different times. Pitchers were used to shorter rest between starts. Fewer bullpen arms needed
    That’s why they’re supposedly expanding the roster though.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-27-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Should help Rule V guys like Payton stick around (for awhile). Perhaps a CF defensive caddy/ pinch runner (Jankowksi?) or a third catcher (Farmer?) or a utility infielder (Blandino?).

From the Reds' perspective, some of the NRI guys have to like this development. Tyler Thornburg, Nate Jones, and David Carpenter might all make the team. More likely, with multiple doubleheaders likely, Tyler Mahle becomes a major weapon as a sixth starter. (AAA rotations also become vital.)
    Where did you see 29 players?

If that is the count, I think the 14 position players and 15 pitchers, sounds right, but I think the AAAA starters would be the guys who would benefit most. I think you would need a 7-man rotation. I think Mahle would be the 6th starter (if no injuries) and then Raley, Romano and Jose De Leon would fight it out to be the seventh starter. The sixth and seventh starters would likely only make it through the order a couple times, so the extra bullpen guys would be huge for Saturday and Sunday double headers.

I wonder if teams would try to tweak their rotations so that the 6th and 7th guys rarely pitched on the weekends since the top 5 guys would be more likely to pitch more innings and therefore save the bullpens.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Where did you see 29 players?
    Here.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-27-2020),marcshoe (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Hard to predict. I'm guessing the extra guys will be pitchers. Starters probably only ready to go a couple innings when the season starts and relievers probably not ready for back to back days. Tandem Starters for the first month or so I'd guess.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?