Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    The asterisk is going to be huge for the team that claims the 2019-20 NBA Championship...the funky format, players not participating and what ever players have to exit because of COVID. I get the intentions are good, but if the NBA wanted fans to take the playoffs seriously, the social justice phrases in place of the names and BLM on the courts will only take away from that effort.
    I don't get it...fans will take the playoffs more seriously if they don't put BLM on courts and the phrases on jersey's. I doubt it. That won't affect the team that eventually wins it and their credibility as the season champ. Now I do see it driving away some viewers, right or wrong!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It won't diminish anything. Anybody who's been following the NBA at all knows this is right in line with where the league has been moving.
    Exactly...the NBA is one of the most progressive and player friendly leagues in sports!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

4. Likes:

M2 (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Exactly...the NBA is one of the most progressive and player friendly leagues in sports!
    Just as long as none of those players take issue with China, of course. Uyghur Lives Matter would have been a tough sell.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-07-2020)

Assume you are referring to the 2000 Playoffs? I think it was Bonzi Wells getting his minutes in that game? Game 6 was Bonzi's best game in the playoffs that year.
    Yes. The 2019-20 season. Damon Stoudamire was the only player on the team (not even Pippen) who was under control in the 4th Quarter and who could hit a basket. Everyone else was throwing up clinkers and duds and making mental mistakes. Dunleavy was not a very good coach. He couldn't even see this and took Damon out putting in his regulars. I don't remember Wells from that game.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

The Kings practice facility has reportedly been shut down due to COVID-19. Sam Amick is reporting that there was a positive test within the team's traveling party on Sunday and the Kings are set to head to Orlando on Wednesday. The Kings are the seventh of 22 teams heading to Orlando who have taken similar measures recently, joining the Bucks, Heat, Clippers, Nuggets, Suns and Nets. Orlando is going to be a very interesting experiment, but it's not off to a very good start so far.

Source: Sam Amick on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

The Kings practice facility has reportedly been shut down due to COVID-19. Sam Amick is reporting that there was a positive test within the team's traveling party on Sunday and the Kings are set to head to Orlando on Wednesday. The Kings are the seventh of 22 teams heading to Orlando who have taken similar measures recently, joining the Bucks, Heat, Clippers, Nuggets, Suns and Nets. Orlando is going to be a very interesting experiment, but it's not off to a very good start so far.

Source: Sam Amick on Twitter
    The thing European soccer had going for it was those nations hammered down the incidence of the disease. Our sports leagues are trying to do this in the middle of a Petri dish.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-06-2020),Revering4Blue (07-08-2020)

The thing European soccer had going for it was those nations hammered down the incidence of the disease. Our sports leagues are trying to do this in the middle of a Petri dish.
    Yes. Trying to apply social distancing when social distancing isn't taken very seriously seems impossible. The NBA could shut down before the first 11 games get played. We just don't know. They have to at least try. The economies have to get moving or COVID-19 will be the least or our worries.

Yes. Trying to apply social distancing when social distancing isn't taken very seriously seems impossible. The NBA could shut down before the first 11 games get played. We just don't know. They have to at least try. The economies have to get moving or COVID-19 will be the least or our worries.
    I feel like there’s a saying about learning to crawl before you learn to walk...

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I feel like there’s a saying about learning to crawl before you learn to walk...
    Yes.

I don't remember Wells from that game.
    if my recollection is correct....Game 6 is when he came off the bench and dropped like 20 points and made almost every shot.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

From a business perspective, the NBA will continue to march in the direction it's been headed since Silver took over and the courtside/jersey messaging will be a natural extension of that. That should be as plain as the nose on your face. You can look at this chart of the league's total revenue - https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ba-since-2005/ - to see how well it's been working.
    Link requires a subscription? Revenue has increased, but that increase has been from international revenue and most of the growth is taking place in China. It is black and white facts that Game Attendance and Television ratings in the US have been on the decline since Silver took over. Having to cozy up to a brutal oppressive communist regime to keep the dollars flowing is somewhat repulsive. The NBA lost all credibility in caring about human rights, social justice and racial/ethnic oppression when they bent the knee to China in October....and suddenly guys like Lebron, Kerr, Popovich and Silver had no opinions in regards to China. The NBA takes a stand when North Carolina tries to mandate biological males utilize male bathrooms....but has no issue with over a million Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, ethnic Turkic Muslims and Christians being held in concentration camps in China. I am not surprised in the least that you do not see the hypocrisy.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Link requires a subscription? Revenue has increased, but that increase has been from international revenue and most of the growth is taking place in China. It is black and white facts that Game Attendance and Television ratings in the US have been on the decline since Silver took over. Having to cozy up to a brutal oppressive communist regime to keep the dollars flowing is somewhat repulsive. The NBA lost all credibility in caring about human rights, social justice and racial/ethnic oppression when they bent the knee to China in October....and suddenly guys like Lebron, Kerr, Popovich and Silver had no opinions in regards to China. The NBA takes a stand when North Carolina tries to mandate biological males utilize male bathrooms....but has no issue with over a million Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, ethnic Turkic Muslims and Christians being held in concentration camps in China. I am not surprised in the least that you do not see the hypocrisy.
    Doesn't require subscription for me and I definitely have no subscription. Anyway, league revenues were static in Stern's later years (spent 8 years $3 billions). Silver took over and they hockey-sticked up ($8.76 billion in 2071/18). That's the black-and-white fact. The NBA has more than doubled its revenues in a fairly short amount of time. You can keep shifting the goalposts all you want. Won't change that your original point was flat wrong. What they're doing in response to nationwide BLM protests is completely in line with where they've been headed. If MLB was doing this, it would feel like a reach. With the NBA, seems like business as usual ... and business has been booming. It would actually be weird if the NBA didn't use its platform to further this cause.

As for the China stuff, I'm all for them taking stands against any oppressive regime. And more people should have come out to support Darryl Morey for a simple RT. Yet the league operates in the U.S., which means our issues are going to be front and center.

As for the China stuff, I'm all for them taking stands against any oppressive regime. And more people should have come out to support Darryl Morey for a simple RT.
    Personally, I don't think anyone in the NBA has a responsibility to speak out on China. I just think it's disappointing the way the league reacted when someone actually (very gently) did.

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-07-2020),M2 (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Personally, I don't think anyone in the NBA has a responsibility to speak out on China. I just think it's disappointing the way the league reacted when someone actually (very gently) did.
    Totally agreed. However, that doesn't form the case for why the NBA now can't address a domestic issue that has seized our nation and involves the bulk of its players. I'm just not having these made up and nonsensical rules for why it can't do what it was obviously going to do.

20. Likes:

Boston Red (07-07-2020)

if my recollection is correct....Game 6 is when he came off the bench and dropped like 20 points and made almost every shot.
    Not in the 4th Quarter.

Turn Off Ads?