Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 9/30/2007 Reds vs Cubs Last Game

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: 9/30/2007 Reds vs Cubs Last Game

He also said that the manager decision will be one of the most important decisions this franchise has made in a long, long time...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Bob said emphatically to Marty and the boys before the broadcast that things WILL be better in 2008.
    Show me.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Show me.
    My thoughts exactly.

He said it....now he has to back it up

"The Green Fields of the Mind "
    by A. Bartlett Giamatti

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bob said emphatically to Marty and the boys before the broadcast that things WILL be better in 2008.

I think he means it....it should be an interesting offseason
    I hate to say this, but we've heard it before. First we were going to contend right away and they when it went haywire it was a couple of players that were holding us back. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also as far as the managerial situation goes, he'll have to prove that to me too. Castellini allowed Krivsky to extend Narron so I have to wonder about his judgment, but I'll hide and watch.

BTW, Chip's post of Giamatti's words is very appropriate every season.

I think he means it....it should be an interesting offseason
    Call me a pessimist but what exactly is going to be done about it? over pay for bad pitchers? we've been down that road before.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Call me a pessimist but what exactly is going to be done about it? over pay for bad pitchers? we've been down that road before.
    Krono, a pessimist? I'm shocked
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    "The Green Fields of the Mind "
    by A. Bartlett Giamatti

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.
    Ain't that the truth.

Just a couple of thoughts after my daughter and I just decided to go on down. We got there in the 2nd inning and the sea of blue was ever present. I know Joey Votto was the star of the game on the scoreboard thingy, but a close second has to be the scoreboard operator who when the Cubs crowd was starting their "Let's go Cubbies" and some of us were valiantly (and yet futilely) to drown them out and the sound system played something from a movie or a cartoon that was like "Hey! Hey! Hey! Just stop that! or Cut that out!). Everybody cracked up.

Homer was throwing some impressive off-speed pitches at times. I liked that.

We had a nice Cubs fan by us and my daughter and I chatted with him about their system and ours and what the clubs needed in the future. He was from Iowa, so he watched Coats there. He said he's a good all around ballplayer, but when I asked about him as a bench player, he was like "no" - he more or less is a nice guy to have at AAA at the ready when you need somebody to fill in. Interesting.

Beautiful day for a ball game - it's a shame we have to wait six months again. I'm exciting about getting to next season - but that's me, ever the cockeyed optimist.

I loved the Giamatti quote posted.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts after my daughter and I just decided to go on down. We got there in the 2nd inning and the sea of blue was ever present. I know Joey Votto was the star of the game on the scoreboard thingy, but a close second has to be the scoreboard operator who when the Cubs crowd was starting their "Let's go Cubbies" and some of us were valiantly (and yet futilely) to drown them out and the sound system played something from a movie or a cartoon that was like "Hey! Hey! Hey! Just stop that! or Cut that out!). Everybody cracked up.

Homer was throwing some impressive off-speed pitches at times. I liked that.

We had a nice Cubs fan by us and my daughter and I chatted with him about their system and ours and what the clubs needed in the future. He was from Iowa, so he watched Coats there. He said he's a good all around ballplayer, but when I asked about him as a bench player, he was like "no" - he more or less is a nice guy to have at AAA at the ready when you need somebody to fill in. Interesting.

Beautiful day for a ball game - it's a shame we have to wait six months again. I'm exciting about getting to next season - but that's me, ever the cockeyed optimist.

I loved the Giamatti quote posted.
    Yeah, I think Buck Coats was picked up because he was available for nothing and the Reds needed someone they could use in the short term without burning a 40 man roster spot before the rule 5 draft and they wanted a guy who was fundamentally sound rather than a guy who was erratic but might have a higher ceiling. The same goes for Jason Ellison.

The way I see it that's a good thing. Buck Coats had no chance of playing himself onto the Reds next year so they Reds won't even consider keeping him even if he had done much better than he did.
    Last edited by pedro; 09-30-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Krono, a pessimist? I'm shocked
    I did call for 82 wins this year
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Yeah, I think Buck Coats was picked up because he was available for nothing and the Reds needed someone they could use in the short term without burning a 40 man roster spot before the rule 5 draft and they wanted a guy who was fundamentally sound rather than a guy who was erratic but might have a higher ceiling. The same goes for Jason Ellison.

The way I see it that's a good thing. Buck Coats had no chance of playing himself onto the Reds next year so they Reds won't even consider keeping him even if he had done much better than he did.
    The fact is, Coats will be looking for a job, so he may come back on a minor league deal. No harm there. The rosters will have those types of fillers.

Seems appropriate on the last day of the year and with C. Trent's job done.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    and never brought to mind ?
    Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    and auld lang syne ?

CHORUS:
    For auld lang syne, my dear,
    for auld lang syne,
    we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
    for auld lang syne

Good night, Mrs. Calabash, where ever you are.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Keppinger ss
    Hanigan c
    Votto lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Cantu 1b
    Coats cf
    Ellison rf
    Lopez 2b
    Bailey p
    Wow, this lineup has massive future trivia question potential.

Another losing year mercifully ends. It's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun.

Let the long off-season begin again.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I did call for 82 wins this year
    really? that's exceptional. sorry it didn't work out. (i picked 84 IIRC)

Turn Off Ads?