Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Amazing Arm Of Aristides Aquino

The Amazing Arm Of Aristides Aquino

There was a sense of inevitability to what was about to happen when San Francisco Giants first baseman Wilmer Flores hit a ground ball to Cincinnati Reds right fielder Aristides Aquino in the top of the ninth inning on Saturday.

With two outs and the Reds up by one run, the Giants sent catcher Joey Bart from second to home on the ground ball into the outfield. Aquino’s throw beat Bart to the plate by a few seconds, which saved the Reds’ 3-2 win at Great American Ball Park.

“I was just asking for the ball,” Aquino said. “If you’re going to get a base hit, hit it to me. I’m going to get that play. That’s what I was thinking about. Then, I got the opportunity and I made the out.”

Aquino has one of the best arms in baseball. His throws from right field have topped 100 mph, and the Giants held multiple runners on Saturday at second or third base when the ball was hit to Aquino.

This time, with two outs and the tying run rounding third base, the Giants went for it, knowing it would take a perfect throw from Aquino to get Bart out at the plate.

As Aquino’s throw sailed from right field, even before Bart was tagged out, the Reds players in the infield started to celebrate.

First baseman Joey Votto pointed his finger in the air as the ball crossed home plate. When second baseman Matt Reynolds saw the throw, he turned his head and knew it was perfect.

From the bench, Reds manager David Bell said that he could “see it coming.” Relief pitcher Tony Santillan said that when the ball was halfway between right field and home plate, he said “We got it” and started cheering. Reds shortstop Kyle Farmer said he saw the throw and immediately and thought, “He’s done.”

“I had no doubt,” Farmer said. “I was shocked that they sent him because Aquino is known for his arm and his great defense. I knew it’d be an out.

As Aquino struggles at the plate, hitting .115 this season, his defense has helped him survive in the big leagues. While Aquino hasn’t been a consistent hitter, Bell has given him opportunities because of how much he trusts Aquino’s defense.
    story continues here:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/kyle-farm...231741288.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-29-2022 at 06:28 AM.

2. Likes:

icehole3 (05-29-2022),Kingspoint (06-01-2022),membengal (05-29-2022),Powder River (05-29-2022),Rowsdower (05-29-2022),UKFlounder (05-29-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Amazing Arm Of Aristides Aquino

All Anecdotes Agree- Aristides Aquino 'as An Amazing Arm and Assists in Assassinating Ambulatory Adversaries. Abandon All Aspirations of Acquiring Additional Advancement!
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-30-2022),cr_redsfan (06-03-2022),RedsfaninMT (05-29-2022),Roy Tucker (05-29-2022),SomeCallMeTim (05-31-2022),WrongVerb (05-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    All Anecdotes Agree- Aristides Aquino 'as An Amazing Arm and Assists in Assassinating Ambulatory Adversaries. Abandon All Aspirations of Acquiring Additional Advancement!
    Absolutely!

You deserve an A for that

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

All day long, the Giants didn't run on Aristides Aquino.

When they did, they lost.

Reds win, extend their streak to 4, claim series against the Giants

Let’s not forget Ty’s role this play too, making such a high stakes tag without blocking the plate. With all the earlier discussion here about the DH coming to the NL and pitchers no longer having to hit, if MLB wants to make the game more exciting surely a logical step is to have special teams and flexible line-ups where a coach can put whoever they want in the field at any time, bringing players in and out (and back in again) of the game whenever they want. This would allow guys like Aquino (and Billy Hamilton, Pokey Reese etc) to have solid careers solely as fielders (and as base runners, perhaps). Hitters can focus on hitting, unless they have elite fielding skills, and any time a slow runner gets on base they can be replaced by a faster base runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysland Red View Post
    Let’s not forget Ty’s role this play too, making such a high stakes tag without blocking the plate. With all the earlier discussion here about the DH coming to the NL and pitchers no longer having to hit, if MLB wants to make the game more exciting surely a logical step is to have special teams and flexible line-ups where a coach can put whoever they want in the field at any time, bringing players in and out (and back in again) of the game whenever they want. This would allow guys like Aquino (and Billy Hamilton, Pokey Reese etc) to have solid careers solely as fielders (and as base runners, perhaps). Hitters can focus on hitting, unless they have elite fielding skills, and any time a slow runner gets on base they can be replaced by a faster base runner.
    Let’s not

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-29-2022)

Can Aquino pitch? I mean, if Pujols and Molina can pitch, why not AA?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I wish AA had as much confidence swinging at offspeed stuff as he does when the ball is hit to him in RF.

Fun fact. Aquino has more bWAR than Castellanos right now. Baseball is a funny game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I wish AA had as much confidence swinging at offspeed stuff as he does when the ball is hit to him in RF.
    Oh, I wish he could hit more consistently too.

I shared this article because I thought the throw from Aquino was one of the most exciting Reds "game saving" game ending plays I've ever seen.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-30-2022),Revering4Blue (05-30-2022)

Joel Luckhaupt Retweeted
    SIS_Baseball
    @sis_baseball

The MLB leader in Defensive Runs Saved:

Aristides Aquino with 10

This is admittedly unusual - he's played only 22 games

Getting that many Runs Saved that quickly is rare

But he has 5 assists without a cutoff man, including 3 at home plate

Really is a bummer he can't hit.... Reds do a great job at finding one dimensional outfielders
    “As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves.”
    -- Ken Griffey, Jr.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Maybe it's time for him to take the mound.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    That is so cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Really is a bummer he can't hit.... Reds do a great job at finding one dimensional outfielders
    "Boooooooooooo!!!!!!!"
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?