Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE Talk Pt. II: It's not a good thread, it's not a bad thread, it's THE thread...

Re: WWE Talk Pt. II: It's not a good thread, it's not a bad thread, it's THE thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Philosophical question: how can one be "champion" of a fixed sport?
    As an aside completely out of left field, I have a pool table in my house. I'm fairly good. I'm buying a belt for myself to signify my dominance. </tongue-in-cheek-yet-serious>

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (06-02-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: WWE Talk Pt. II: It's not a good thread, it's not a bad thread, it's THE thread..

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    People pay to see you by buying tix and merch, that's how.

People paid to see Dusty get revenge on the horsemen, that's how.

People pay to boo or cheer Cena, that how.
    How are you a champion if you didn't beat anyone?

You seem a bit testy, bro.

I'd tell you to relax and that it's only a game, but it even isn't that.

I'm not here to pushbuttons. I just heard The Rock call his relative "a great champion," and I'm just not sure that holds water.

That would be like Michael Douglas calling Kirk "a great gangster."

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    How are you a champion if you didn't beat anyone?

You seem a bit testy, bro.

I'd tell you to relax and that it's only a game, but it even isn't that.

I'm not here to pushbuttons. I just heard The Rock call his relative "a great champion," and I'm just not sure that holds water.

That would be like Michael Douglas calling Kirk "a great gangster."
    Testy ? Nah... Just not a fan how the writers treat belts like props instead contested trophies if we're not a work.... Count me in the the Jim Cornette school of booking... Listen to his podcast and shoot interviews, they're fantastic.

... In other news how about that AJ Styles beat down on Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

6. Likes:

TRF (06-03-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Count me in the the Jim Cornette school of booking
    aka, the lead-the-company-to-ruination school of booking. I mean, I agree about treating belts like contested trophies, but Cornette's out of the business for a reason.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-03-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    aka, the lead-the-company-to-ruination school of booking. I mean, I agree about treating belts like contested trophies, but Cornette's out of the business for a reason.
    Cornette has his faults, but most of the time he really wasn't in that position. He opened Smokey Mountain Wrestling in one of the worst times for the business. He also helped train many of the stars now. And he hates Vince Russo. That must account for something!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

10. Likes:

Joseph (06-03-2016)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Cornette has his faults, but most of the time he really wasn't in that position. He opened Smokey Mountain Wrestling in one of the worst times for the business. He also helped train many of the stars now. And he hates Vince Russo. That must account for something!
    SMW had some good stuff. There's some on the Network. I didn't see that stuff first time around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Likes:

Red Heeler (06-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    WWE is entertainment, and TNA and ROH are run by idiots that don't know the business and want to be WWE. Smokey Mtn and OVW were solidly booked by Cornette.

Listen to shoot interviews podcasts he has, he explains it all. Dude still has it, really he does. He praised the American Alpha - Revival match when the titles changed.

... He's a huge liberal, so expect lots of Bernie Sanders praise in his podcasts.
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for the conversation Brock had with Vince about letting him go (potentially) get his ass kicked at UFC 200 while under contract to the WWE.

I know kayfabe is dead, but damn -- I can't imagine how he got Vince to say yes, other than threatening to just sit out his contract if he wasn't allowed (which, really, is what he's doing right now anyway).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for the conversation Brock had with Vince about letting him go (potentially) get his ass kicked at UFC 200 while under contract to the WWE.

I know kayfabe is dead, but damn -- I can't imagine how he got Vince to say yes, other than threatening to just sit out his contract if he wasn't allowed (which, really, is what he's doing right now anyway).
    I'm guessing this was a clause that was inserted into his contract when he resigned at Mania. And honestly, I think it's good business by Vince. Why not agree to one match, if that means you can re-sign the guy for 3-4 years? I think it's unique and awesome. And it also doesn't hurt to establish a good working relationship with UFC if the WWE wants access to Rousey in the future, or McGregor. And how sweet would it be (as unlikely as it may seem right now) if CM Punk comes back for a "one-off" Mania match in the future? How is that not big dollars for EVERYONE involved?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm guessing this was a clause that was inserted into his contract when he resigned at Mania. And honestly, I think it's good business by Vince. Why not agree to one match, if that means you can re-sign the guy for 3-4 years? I think it's unique and awesome. And it also doesn't hurt to establish a good working relationship with UFC if the WWE wants access to Rousey in the future, or McGregor. And how sweet would it be (as unlikely as it may seem right now) if CM Punk comes back for a "one-off" Mania match in the future? How is that not big dollars for EVERYONE involved?
    Lesnar gets knocked the F out and the last 2 years is wiped out without WWE really getting ANY return on ending the greatest streak in WWE history.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

17. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (06-06-2016),Joseph (06-06-2016)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Cena / AJ segment tonight on Raw was absolute fire.

When Cena is properly motivated, he's still an amazing talent on the mic.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

yeah but...

Once AJ decimated Xavier Woods (one of the most underrated talents on the mic IMO), why wasn't Cena in the match? This is not the first time WWE has ignored this option. They came out to help him, he has to wait for their beat down to help them? That's dumb booking. Now maybe he can't fully go in a match just yet, and if that's the case, wait until Summer Slam to bring him back.

Logic: None Found.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    yeah but...

Once AJ decimated Xavier Woods (one of the most underrated talents on the mic IMO), why wasn't Cena in the match? This is not the first time WWE has ignored this option. They came out to help him, he has to wait for their beat down to help them? That's dumb booking. Now maybe he can't fully go in a match just yet, and if that's the case, wait until Summer Slam to bring him back.

Logic: None Found.
    Love Woods on the mic.

I admit I 'm not a fan of the GM of week restarting matches, changes matches on the fly, inserting people into matches after they started.

What would have been cool was Cena as the "mystery partner" say if Big E got attacked backstage. The New Day has the a few hours to get a replacement... Cena taking someone's place in a match that has already started.... that doesn't make sense at all.
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

agree completely here. I like AJ as a heel here too. feels more natural. I hated AJ as heel in TNA (Prince AJ, Flair's Protege) as it was natural. Loved him as face vs. Aces and 8's.
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

this has to be seen to be believed...

Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?