Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams

Re: Dick Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Yep. All these new acquisitions will be moving on after we miss the playoffs. Our prospects have all slid and I don’t see any exciting the fan base. The two guys who were traded for one year rentals would both be the top performing hitter and pitching prospect in our system. Downs is on pace for 20 something bombs and 30 plus steals while OPSing 800 at 20. Gray is 5-0 with a 2.71 ERA with 78 Ks in 63 innings. 52 Ks in 39 innings after being moved up.
    That trade was a disaster. The rest of the moves were fine but this team just wasn’t ready to short the rebuild. Now we are screwed
    Downs is doing that in the hitter friendly Cal League, your take is that he’d be a top hitter in the FSL?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Downs is doing that in the hitter friendly Cal League, your take is that he’d be a top hitter in the FSL?
    In 2012, Billy Hamilton hit .323/.413/.439/.852 with 104 SB's in 125 attempts in 82 games as a 21-year-old with Bakersfield in the Cal League. (He was promoted to AA Pensacola at the All-Star Break.)
    Last edited by Big Klu; 06-24-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Your inbox is full
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-24-2019)

He’d be the most interesting for Daytona for sure. Even shaving off some OPS and HR he’d still be leading that team in those categories as well as steals.

He’d be the most interesting for Daytona for sure. Even shaving off some OPS and HR he’d still be leading that team in those categories as well as steals.
    You can’t actually know that, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Yes, you have a good point.. If we still had Jeter Downs, and he was OPSing 798 with 17 stolen bases and 12 HRs, we would be excited about him, no matter what the ballpark factors were.

At this point, I would call the LA trade too close to call.
    A lot depends on Wood and whether Puig finishes strong.. but even if they play fantastic the rest of the year, if we miss the playoffs (or don't flip them for better assets), it was not that beneficial. I am guessing the Dodgers disclosed Wood's injury before the trade, because they are ethical, and the Reds decided to risk it. Nothing at all wrong with that, it was a decent risk to take, but the trade doesn't seem as good as it was over the winter, IMO.
    Last edited by bottom_feeder; 06-24-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The idea “we” are screwed because they traded Downs and Gray is absurd.
    It's so ridiculous its barely worth a reply. Astonishing...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Downs was a competitive balance A pick, and Gray was a late 2nd round pick.

If the Reds take Puig and Wood through the end of the season, the team can make them Qualifying Offers. If both reject (they should) then the Reds get 2 compensation picks prior to the Comp A round in 2020. That more than makes up for the loss of a CBA pick and a 2nd round pick.

I'm not seeing what the downside is, unless the haters are suggesting that producing .800 OPS at A+ ball is the same as producing .800 OPS in the majors.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

If the Reds take Puig and Wood through the end of the season, the team can make them Qualifying Offers. If both reject (they should) then the Reds get 2 compensation picks prior to the Comp A round in 2020. That more than makes up for the loss of a CBA pick and a 2nd round pick.

I'm not seeing what the downside is, unless the haters are suggesting that producing .800 OPS at A+ ball is the same as producing .800 OPS in the majors.
    As of today I don't see the Reds making qualifying offers to them. It would mean a doubling of their salaries and they haven't earned that. This is a chance the Reds won't take

12. Likes:

757690 (06-24-2019),Boss-Hog (06-25-2019)

The Reds would be foolish to offer Puig arbitration. He is not an 18 million dollar player (or whatever the qualifying offer is).

Wood, it really depends on whether he is worth a QO or not. My guess is that he has chronic health problems, and it's not worth a QO.. however, if Wood were to come back and pitch strong, he'd be worth a QO.

The problem though, is that all draft picks are not created equal. The 2 kids we gave to LA were better picks. If we get a comp pick for Wood, we might draft another Geliach.. Now, I agree , the Reds can absorb the loss of the two propsects we sent to LA, but at the same time, I Agree if we still had those two kids, they'd probably be in our top 10 prospects.. That does not mean they will be future big leaguers, it is just that they are nice prospects.

In the end, we swapped Homer's contract for Kemps contract and then gave up the two prospects for Puig, Wood and Farmer.. Too early to tell if the trade was good or not. Right now, Puig is OPSing 746, but has heated up lately. He alone might make the trade worth it (it all depends).. but Wood has not pitched an inning yet.. Wood could make the trade worth it also, too early to say.

But to make it clear, I am not crying about the loss of the two prospects. I am just saying, they would have been two of the Reds better prospects, if they were still here. I Agree, neither prospect is a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder View Post
    The Reds would be foolish to offer Puig arbitration. He is not an 18 million dollar player (or whatever the qualifying offer is).

Wood, it really depends on whether he is worth a QO or not. My guess is that he has chronic health problems, and it's not worth a QO.. however, if Wood were to come back and pitch strong, he'd be worth a QO.

The problem though, is that all draft picks are not created equal. The 2 kids we gave to LA were better picks. If we get a comp pick for Wood, we might draft another Geliach.. Now, I agree , the Reds can absorb the loss of the two propsects we sent to LA, but at the same time, I Agree if we still had those two kids, they'd probably be in our top 10 prospects.. That does not mean they will be future big leaguers, it is just that they are nice prospects.

In the end, we swapped Homer's contract for Kemps contract and then gave up the two prospects for Puig, Wood and Farmer.. Too early to tell if the trade was good or not. Right now, Puig is OPSing 746, but has heated up lately. He alone might make the trade worth it (it all depends).. but Wood has not pitched an inning yet.. Wood could make the trade worth it also, too early to say.

But to make it clear, I am not crying about the loss of the two prospects. I am just saying, they would have been two of the Reds better prospects, if they were still here. I Agree, neither prospect is a sure thing.
    No player is a sure thing. Just look at what we've gotten out of Wood.

Arbitration for Puig is not an option. It's a qualifying offer or free agency

15. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder View Post

Keep in mind that the QO is just a 1-year offer. If Puig thinks he can score a deal similar to or better than J.D. Martinez (5/120) then he's going to decline the QO. Wood, I agree with your comments there. I actually would love to see the Reds offer him a 1-year deal for next year at around the same salary ($9M) that he's making now.

Or the two selections could turn out to be really nice picks. It is supposed to be a deep draft next year.

I think it was a win just to get rid of Bailey. Anything on top of that is just gravy.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

17. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-25-2019),HammerTime (06-25-2019)

Puig and Wood would have to have huge second halves for the Reds to give them a QO at this point.

19. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-26-2019)

JD Martinez slugged .700 heading into free agency... I don't think Puig is going to be using that as his comp, lol.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

21. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-26-2019),Revering4Blue (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Puig and Wood would have to have huge second halves for the Reds to give them a QO at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    JD Martinez slugged .700 heading into free agency... I don't think Puig is going to be using that as his comp, lol.
    I guess we'll find out at the end of the year.

Turn Off Ads?