Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: all time worst reds team

Re: all time worst reds team

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If were going to do this right we ought to have some requirement that they had more than 300 abs. Cesar Hernandez played a grand total of 13 games in CF.

CA: Paul Bako
    1b: Todd Benzinger
    2b: Pokey Reese
    3b: Brandon Larson
    SS: Royce Clayton/Edgar Renteria Both came here past their primes and about the "best of the worst" for the position we've had.
    LF: Chris Stynes
    CF: Corey Patterson/Willy Tavares PLATOON! Double the suck!
    RF: Eric Owens

I'm only doing SP, we've had our fair share of bad relievers but I can't really stick anyone here based on 20 IP or they had a decent season then fell apart.

Ace: John... no James... no Andrew... no no no what was his name... Dean? No that's not it... DAVE WILLIAMS (exception to the limited innings because THAT was what we got for Casey)
    SP: Eric Milton
    SP: Steve Avery
    SP: Jose Acevado (I remember having discussions that he would turn into at least a back end starting pitcher... OOPS).
    SP: Ryan Dumpster Fire... I mean Dempster
    SP: Joey Hamilton
    SP: Brandon Claussen
    SP: Elizardo Ramirez (another guy I completely WHIFFED on).

Honorable Mention: Joe Valentine... Remember when it was thought he was the "big acquisition" in the Jose Guillen deal?
    Chris Steins OPS’d .879 and .883 in two of his four years. The other two not so much but I’m sure there are better “worst” OFs

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Bichette had an .819 OPS as a Red.
    Again, I don't buy stats over my own eyes. This guy was brought in to replace Greg Vaughn and did nothing for the first couple months of the season until all was lost. In the mean time Alex Ochoa was sitting on the bench with a .964 OPS. Bichette was one of those famous moves to pull the wool over Reds fans eyes. "Don't worry about us being cheap and not resigning our star player from last year, we're giving you Dante Bichette instead who put up almost as good of stats playing in Coors Field."

He didn't even last the season as the Reds traded him because they were out of the race, due to Bichette's inability to produce the first couple months of the season. I hated having him in the lineup.

4. Likes:

goldglover9 (07-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I'll bite with an attempt to fill this out with starters who played during my lifetime 1986+

C - Tucker Barnhart
    1B - Benzinger
    2B - Bret Boone
    SS - Orlando Cabrera
    3B - Jeff Branson
    LF - Bily Hatcher
    CF - Wily Taveras
    RF - Dante Bichette

SP - Eric Milton
    SP - Ramon Ortiz
    SP - Rob Bell
    SP - Ryan Dempster
    SP - Kevin Jarvis

RP - Mike Lincoln
    RP - Brian Reith
    RP - Todd Coffey
    RP - JJ Hoover
    RP - Kevin Gregg
    CL - Danny Graves
    Any list of worst reds begins with Wily Taveras. Any hypothetical team without him is just wrong.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (07-10-2019),Griffey012 (07-11-2019),marcshoe (07-10-2019),NC Reds (07-11-2019)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Any list of worst reds begins with Wily Taveras. Any hypothetical team without him is just wrong.
    One of the funniest things I ever saw in person at a Reds game was being in the gift shop once when a young lady asked the clerk where the Wily Taveras t-shirts were. He literally doubled over with laughter. If you've ever seen "High Fidelity," it was like the dad who came into Championship Vinyl to get his daughter "I Just Called To Say I Love You," and Jack Black's character refused to sell it to him.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Again, I don't buy stats over my own eyes. This guy was brought in to replace Greg Vaughn and did nothing for the first couple months of the season until all was lost. In the mean time Alex Ochoa was sitting on the bench with a .964 OPS. Bichette was one of those famous moves to pull the wool over Reds fans eyes. "Don't worry about us being cheap and not resigning our star player from last year, we're giving you Dante Bichette instead who put up almost as good of stats playing in Coors Field."

He didn't even last the season as the Reds traded him because they were out of the race, due to Bichette's inability to produce the first couple months of the season. I hated having him in the lineup.
    Greg Vaughn was going into his age 34 season. He made $5 million with the Reds in '99.
    Tampa Bay gave him 3 years $24 million and he OPS'd .769 over the life of that contract in the American League during the steroid era.

Plenty went wrong with the 2000 Reds going forward. Having Bichette and not Vaughn wasn't one of those.

Also I'm impressed that you remember how a guy produced specifically over the first few months of a season 20 years ago.

There are far worse choices than Dante Bichette. Honestly, Scott Schebler is one and nobody has mentioned him yet.
    Last edited by OGB; 07-11-2019 at 04:10 AM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

9. Likes:

KronoRed (07-11-2019)

According to Bball reference, Janish had more games and ABs than Alex Gonzalez in 2009. They OPS'd .601 and .554, respectively.
    An all time putrid duo.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Corey Patterson wasn't much better.

Centerfield bats leadoff!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

12. Likes:

goldglover9 (07-11-2019),mth123 (07-11-2019)

There are far worse choices than Dante Bichette. Honestly, Scott Schebler is one and nobody has mentioned him yet.
    Adjusting for the era, Dante Bichette as a red and Scott Schebler are pretty much the same player. According to wRC+ and fWAR they are very similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Corey Patterson wasn't much better.

Centerfield bats leadoff!
    It is pretty remarkable how terrible we have been in CF since the Eric Davis and beginning of the Griffey era.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 07-11-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Interesting how easy to recall my favorite players from past years...but how difficult to recall your worst players names over the years. I really cant recall anyone, maybe because they were so forgettable??!
    Milton sticks out like a sore thumb though. Probably too...the really bad players didnt stick around very long and were demoted promptly.

yes victor santos marcus mcbeth and the great rheal cormier were standouts

Well, usually when doing these all-time lists, we leave out the current season while still in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Geez.

C - Dan Wilson
    1B - I haven't been alive for many bad ones. Scott Hatteberg, I guess? Tim Costo?
    2B - Jeff Treadway
    SS - Royce Clayton
    3B - Nick Esasky. Played 3B in 1984 and hit .193. The first year I can even remember baseball.
    OF - Herm Winningham
    OF - Van Snider
    OF - Corey Patterson

SP: Joey Hamilton, Eric Milton, Jimmy Haynes, Brian Reith, Tim Pugh
    RP: Kevin Gregg, Jerry Spradlin, Kevin Jarvis, Danny Graves 2002-, JJ Groover, Gary Majewski

MGR Bob Boone
    How on earth does Dan Wilson get on this list? He had a cup of coffee with the club in his first two seasons and then turned into Bret Boone and Erik Hanson and had a good enough career in Seattle.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I’ve not seen Josias Manzanillo on a list. How?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    How on earth does Dan Wilson get on this list? He had a cup of coffee with the club in his first two seasons and then turned into Bret Boone and Erik Hanson and had a good enough career in Seattle.
    He was bad while here. We're not rating these guys as assets or what they did elsewhere. He played for CIN for parts of 2 years and was pretty bad. Never hit a HR.

He ended up being pretty good for SEA, but if you think that matters you're missing the point of this exercise.

In the time I've been watching the Reds I can't think of too many horrible catchers, so he was the one I used.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

think harder there were zillions of horrible catchers
    vic correll, frank house, sonny ruberto, fred kendall,

Turn Off Ads?