Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The new Jake Fraley thread

Re: The new Jake Fraley thread

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Contreas and Diaz.

I’d look into seeing if the Reds can swing a trade for Murphy from the A’s. KC was shopping Barlow and Stamount too. I’d look into that.
    Diaz isn't leaving New York.

And why would Contreras come to Cincinnati to play second fiddle to Tyler Stephenson?

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    What catcher is worth all those free agent dollars?

What bullpen guy?
    I'd sign Contreras to be the everyday catcher. He'd rake in GABP and fill 2 positional holes by allowing Stephenson to move to 1B.

For the pen I'd go after Kenley Jansen, Tyler Rogers and Mychal Givens. 2 righties and a lefty. All 3 with backend experience. Pair those 3 with Diaz and we've got a pen. Also takes the need for relying on injury comebacks like Sims, Antone and Santillan.

I'd add Cueto as well on a 2 year deal. All these guys will cost decent money but all can be shorter contracts beside Contreras who'd probably take 4 years to get done.

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-18-2022),Old school 1983 (08-18-2022),Revering4Blue (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Diaz isn't leaving New York.

And why would Contreras come to Cincinnati to play second fiddle to Tyler Stephenson?
    You asked who would be worth it at those positions. That was the short list. That’s why I gave more reasonable trade targets.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/reds-vs-...os,game=662396

I hadn't really seen much evidence of Fraley being uniquely bad in the outfield before but this is certainly a point in mth123's favor, the Ben Gamel single is a pretty pitiful looking read.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

CySeymour (08-20-2022),Revering4Blue (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/gameday/reds-vs-...os,game=662396

I hadn't really seen much evidence of Fraley being uniquely bad in the outfield before but this is certainly a point in mth123's favor, the Ben Gamel single is a pretty pitiful looking read.
    Just based on Fangraphs defensive stats, which is only one source, Fraley is best in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just based on Fangraphs defensive stats, which is only one source, Fraley is best in LF.
    In an ideal world, Fraley could provide league average CF defense with a slightly better than league average bat. Were that to happen, he'd be a first-division starter.

The eye test says, however, he's more of a Tyler Naquin type-- serviceable in CF but better at a corner.

11. Likes:

CySeymour (08-20-2022),Revering4Blue (08-20-2022)

Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of guys look good at the end of a season when there’s nothing on the line. Sometimes dangerous to put a lot of front end stock in it. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes:

mth123 (08-20-2022)

I think Fraley has enough plate coverage against right handers and enough strength to be an effective platoon guy, but expecting any more from him is a mistake, IMO. He's got very large split differentials in his MLB Pa's and pretty severe ones in his minor league history. They need to get another half of the platoon and get a relatively cheap, fairly productive corner covered.
    And I'm not thinking of Aquino.

15. Likes:

mth123 (08-20-2022),Revering4Blue (08-20-2022)

Fraley really crushed that homer tonight.

Having another good night at the plate.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-20-2022),Tom Servo (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think Fraley has enough plate coverage against right handers and enough strength to be an effective platoon guy, but expecting any more from him is a mistake, IMO. He's got very large split differentials in his MLB Pa's and pretty severe ones in his minor league history. They need to get another half of the platoon and get a relatively cheap, fairly productive corner covered.
    If he’s the poorer man’s Winker that’s not a half bad outcome since they should have just kept Winker in the first place.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-21-2022),LeatherPants (08-20-2022),Mitri (08-20-2022),NebraskaRed (08-21-2022),RollyInRaleigh (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If he’s the poorer man’s Winker that’s not a half bad outcome since they should have just kept Winker in the first place.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Winker still around, but take comfort in this: Connor Phillips k'd 9 and walked 1 in 5 innings tonight as a 21 year old in AA.

21. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-21-2022),malcontent (08-20-2022),NebraskaRed (08-21-2022),SomeCallMeTim (08-21-2022),Tom Servo (08-20-2022)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing Winker still around, but take comfort in this: Connor Phillips k'd 9 and walked 1 in 5 innings tonight as a 21 year old in AA.
    If Phillips and Williamson end up decent rotation pieces, that trade is a major win.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I think he's shown enough to take.over Tyler Naquin spot. A good 4th outfielder and that's got value. Fraley and Dunn becoming productive players makes that trade look even better. Kinda like how Farmer was the only real return in the Bailey trade.

24. Likes:

757690 (08-21-2022)

'Rake Fraley' homers into Allegheny River to help Justin Dunn earn first win with Reds

For a Reds team navigating the final six weeks of a rebuilding season, Fraley has been a bright spot. He’s homered three times in his last five games and shown enough plate discipline to warrant a move to the leadoff spot.

"Rake Fraley," said starting pitcher Justin Dunn, who has been teammates with Fraley since they were in Double-A together. "I gave him a big hug after the game and told him he was my favorite player. I’m extremely excited for him. This is just the start. This kid hits and this is what he does. He’s a great baseball player. You guys are in store for a show and it’s going to be a lot of fun."

Dunn may be the least surprised by Fraley's power. They've played against each other since they were 9 years old, both kids from the Northeast.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/jake-fral...025023045.html

26. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-21-2022)

He sounds an awful lot like Brandon Drury talking about getting back to his original approach.

Turn Off Ads?