Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Charles Grodin

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

RIP Charles Grodin

I'm not quite old enough to remember much of his work as an actor, or maybe I just didn't see a lot of his movies...

I did find his talk show fascinating- mainly the way he would talk to the camera was so strange, his style was a bit off....but I watched him religiously.

Wasn't that show part of the Geraldo lineup on CNBC during the OJ trial? I could be recalling incorrectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Charles Grodin

I remember him being a pretty good proverbial Abbott to someone's Costello. Midnight Run being a good example. I never saw his talk show.

He was 86 and died of Bone Marrow cancer. Which sucks, even by cancer standards, from what I have read about it.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Underrated actor. Stood out every time he was on screen, even in really bad movies. Clifford comes to mind. RIP.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm not quite old enough to remember much of his work as an actor, or maybe I just didn't see a lot of his movies...

I did find his talk show fascinating- mainly the way he would talk to the camera was so strange, his style was a bit off....but I watched him religiously.

Wasn't that show part of the Geraldo lineup on CNBC during the OJ trial? I could be recalling incorrectly.
    Your recollection is correct. I didn't think he was a good actor or a good talk show host. I'm not a big movie person so I must say I haven't seen a lot of his work on the big screen but I often had his show on after Geraldo and it never grew on me. He'd always thank his Mom afterwards as if to acknowledge that he knew he wasn't very good at it

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-19-2021),texasdave (05-25-2021)

We recently lost Alonzo Mosely (Yaphet Kotto), and now Jonathan "The Duke" Mardukas (Grodin). Somebody keep an eye on De Niro.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-18-2021)

I remember him being one of Carson's favorite guests back before he had his own talk show. He was a much better guest than host.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Your recollection is correct. I didn't think he was a good actor or a good talk show host. I'm not a big movie person so I must say I haven't seen a lot of his work on the big screen but I often had his show on after Geraldo and it never grew on me. He'd always thank his Mom afterwards as if to acknowledge that he knew he wasn't very good at it
    He would do this monolog thing where he would talk and then just shake his head....it always came off awkward.

He and Miss Piggy's unbridaled lust in "The Great Muppet Caper" is still talked about in Hollywood to this day

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-19-2021)

I only know about this guy because he was featured in a Seinfeld episode.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I remember him being one of Carson's favorite guests back before he had his own talk show. He was a much better guest than host.
    Antenna TV had quite a few of the old Carson shows with Grodin on it. I didn't really care for him. He came off as very arrogant to me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Antenna TV had quite a few of the old Carson shows with Grodin on it. I didn't really care for him. He came off as very arrogant to me.
    That was the joke

17. Likes:

757690 (05-19-2021),Chip R (05-19-2021),Dom Heffner (05-19-2021),marcshoe (05-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That was the joke
    oh and it was a great one. the letterman where he brought his attorney- gold.

19. Likes:

Chip R (05-19-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    oh and it was a great one. the letterman where he brought his attorney- gold.
    I watched a Carson one earlier that had me rolling.

“Do you care about ANYTHING???”

21. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-19-2021)

One of Hollywood’s greatest actors with a long career in secondary roles. Midnight Run was his breakthrough role which should have won him multiple awards. He was also outstanding in Heaven Can Wait and Dave.

His first big role was a rare lead in The Heartbreak Kid (not the remake) where he played a very complex, somewhat creepy romantic lead. He did get a Golden Globe nomination for that role.

And yes, his Letterman and Carson appearances were legendary. He played the role of an arrogant prick, but was actually considered one of the better people in Hollywood, it was just a bit for the audience.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

23. Likes:

Chip R (05-19-2021),cincinnati chili (05-25-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-19-2021),RFS62 (05-28-2021),RichRed (05-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That was the joke
    I guess I just don't like arrogancy even if its a joke.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

25. Likes:

RedCanuck (05-19-2021),texasdave (05-25-2021)

Turn Off Ads?