Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to blow it up!

Re: Time to blow it up!

Reds are going to have to make a hard decision this winter.
    The only logical place to add a bat is catcher or OF.
    Really hard to fit nd an impact hitter at catcher.
    They are almost going to be forced to give up on a young OF and replace him with a more proven commodity if they want to contend.
    All the kid OF are really below average this season. They have plenty of potential, but the Reds are in a position now where they are "all in" for 2020 and they can't have 3 question marks (offensively) in the OF. They need at least one impact bat there.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Reds are going to have to make a hard decision this winter.
    The only logical place to add a bat is catcher or OF.
    Really hard to fit nd an impact hitter at catcher.
    They are almost going to be forced to give up on a young OF and replace him with a more proven commodity if they want to contend.
    All the kid OF are really below average this season. They have plenty of potential, but the Reds are in a position now where they are "all in" for 2020 and they can't have 3 question marks (offensively) in the OF. They need at least one impact bat there.
    #!, cleanest option, is to beef up catcher and middle infield. Hard to accomplish, OF stays the same.

#2, messier option, as you say, is to add a corner OF. I believe that would lead to a trade of Jesse Winker. Still would need somebody for middle infield or catcher.

#3, still messier option, is to move Senzel to second base; and then restructure the outfield. An offense first CFer isn't that easy to find, so it might entail a new corner OF (for offense) and CF. With a trade of Jesse Winker likely.

I think Winker is most likely trade piece because Aquino hasn't established top value and Senzel has all these pre-arb years remaining.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-12-2019 at 02:39 PM.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2019)

Why are we trading Winker? Then we need 2 corner outfielders, instead of 1.

They have plenty of potential, but the Reds are in a position now where they are "all in" for 2020
    You're right, they need to make it happen in 2020. Castillo and Gray are at the top of their game. They have Bauer in 2020 but not beyond. They will still have Disco. And they have decent options for 5th starter in Mahle, Sims and Gausman. They need to fix the offense and bolster the pen. This rotation won't last long.

I'm coming around to seeing Grandal as one of the answers. He's 30 but it's a clear upgrade offensively. 2b and outfield need to be their other upgrades. Cannot go into 2020 dreaming on JVM and Aquino. I just don't trust them over a full season yet. Dickerson seems like an affordable option they could pursue. Make Aquino outplay him. I wouldn't trade Winker either. He's the 2nd best offensive player on the team when healthy. Let's not trade that away. Maybe Barnhart can bring back bullpen help if they sign Grandal.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Would be trading Winker because Reds are adding a major outfield player. That assumes Reds can't fill the offensive needs via other positions (catcher for example). IF a major OFer is added, one of Winker, Aquino or Senzel will have to give up position via trade, position change, or move to bench.

They could trade Aquino instead, or make him fourth OFer. They could trade Senzel. They could move Senzel to second (but then your need is in CF, hard to fill with offense).

My guess is Winker would be traded in that circumstance. He's nearer to arbitration, he's used as a platoon, he's been injury prone, and he would bring a return. But there are other alternative as well.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-12-2019 at 03:25 PM.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2019)

I think it's more speculation that there could be a market for him. Also, LF isn't that tricky to find (and what Winker's provided to date isn't that hard to improve upon).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2019)

Defensive liablity, and I don't think he's ever going to be an impact bat.
    I realize that his trade value is low now, and they might undersell on him.
    However, the front office decided to go for it in 2020.. given this, we need an established bat in the OF.. All our OF now are young. All have underperformed this year, other than Aquino (and he's too small of a sample size to evaluate).

There's really no other way to beef up the offense. Let's assume Galvis returns. That means, we could get an impact bat in the middle infield or catcher.. Those are very hard to find, and they are expensive. Much easier to get a guy with an OPS+ over 100 in the outfield. Not sure any of our young guys are really a lock to OPS+ over 100. A lot of potential in the OF, but upgrading the OF is the most realistic way to beef up the offense. I would rather trade Winker than keep him on the bench.. He's the most expendable guy, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

There are lots of places to improve the Reds offense. Catcher is the spot I’d spend the least on in terms of cash and prospects.

They could improve at any outfield spot, 2nd and SS. And yes I’m more than happy to move Senzel to get an even better 2nd baseman.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-12-2019 at 05:38 PM.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-13-2019)

If Bell is part of the blow up, I'm for it.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

16. Likes:

malcontent (09-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think it's more speculation that there could be a market for him. Also, LF isn't that tricky to find (and what Winker's provided to date isn't that hard to improve upon).
    The Reds should not enter 2020 with Aquino penciled into RF. Therefore moving Winker creates a need for 2.

18. Likes:

M2 (09-12-2019),REDREAD (09-13-2019)

Defensive liablity, and I don't think he's ever going to be an impact bat.
    I realize that his trade value is low now, and they might undersell on him.
    However, the front office decided to go for it in 2020.. given this, we need an established bat in the OF.. All our OF now are young. All have underperformed this year, other than Aquino (and he's too small of a sample size to evaluate).

There's really no other way to beef up the offense. Let's assume Galvis returns. That means, we could get an impact bat in the middle infield or catcher.. Those are very hard to find, and they are expensive. Much easier to get a guy with an OPS+ over 100 in the outfield. Not sure any of our young guys are really a lock to OPS+ over 100. A lot of potential in the OF, but upgrading the OF is the most realistic way to beef up the offense. I would rather trade Winker than keep him on the bench.. He's the most expendable guy, IMO.
    What's your definition of impact bat? Other than Suarez, Winker is likely the best bat in the lineup headed into 2020.

Side Note: I'm not assuming Galvis returns, in fact if I were in charge I'd likely buyout his option.

The Reds should not enter 2020 with Aquino penciled into RF. Therefore moving Winker creates a need for 2.
    I'm comfortable with that.

Side Note: I'm not assuming Galvis returns, in fact if I were in charge I'd likely buyout his option.
    I can see that. Obviously they need to find a SS if they go that route, but making that a priority might be the right course of action. Maybe the question is how much do they like Garcia? If they think he's the real deal and can arrive in 2021, then maybe they keep Galvis as a stopgap.
    Last edited by M2; 09-13-2019 at 10:07 AM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    If Bell is part of the blow up, I'm for it.
    After watching Kyle Lewis destroy the Reds...when several of us here wanted him over Senzel...and seeing Jeter Downs, and then Taylor Trammell go off in the Eastern League playoffs...it all seems so hopeless.

The only possible salvation is a managerial sacrifice, and Bell would have to suffice.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

22. Likes:

REDREAD (09-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    After watching Kyle Lewis destroy the Reds...
    Who does he think he is? Eric Thames?

24. Likes:

malcontent (09-13-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    After watching Kyle Lewis destroy the Reds...when several of us here wanted him over Senzel...and seeing Jeter Downs, and then Taylor Trammell go off in the Eastern League playoffs...it all seems so hopeless.

The only possible salvation is a managerial sacrifice, and Bell would have to suffice.
    Oh wow, so now the Reds suck for not drafting Kyle Lewis over Senzel. That’s a new one.

Turn Off Ads?