Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 73 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Which part of China do you like? I've only been to Shanghai and Beijing, and it's like being in two completely different countries. While the Great Wall was cool, I don't really have much desire to do the Beijing thing again. I've told all my kids they should try to find a way to live in Shanghai for a few years.
    I have a nephew that works for Coca Cola and lives in Shanghai (with his Russian wife). He absolutely loves it there.

He also sometimes pisses me off with his over the top praise for the city. Hey dude, you came from ‘Murica. They had travelled to Australia last January, got stranded there over the pandemic, moved back to Austin with my sister, and just got back to China about a month ago. China has very stringent procedures for getting back into the country.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I hope this isn't too political, but something I think we've lost as religion has fallen out of favor in this country (and kind of been perverted in many ways when it's held up) is that you can't seem to make an argument anymore that we owe our fellow man. We're supposed to be looking out for our friends, our family, our communities, and vaccination is a way to do that. I think, for all its faults, religion was a good way to pound that message into people. But even church going folks so often don't seem receptive to that argument now.
    I think some of the churches/synagogues don't make that argument to begin with which seems to be the problem. When the argument is we need to be in our sanctuary, without masks, precautions or limits, it doesn't seem like an argument that we are watching out for our fellow humans.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I want to take the family down to North Carolina next fall. Couple days in Charlotte, couple days in Asheville.

Lots of time in the mountains. I miss western NC so much.
    Any of you guys who plan to come to western NC and want to have a beer with some guy you only know on the internet, hit me up! I know where all 5000 of the area's breweries are.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

5. Likes:

redhawkfish (12-03-2020),RedTeamGo! (12-04-2020)

Yesterday was the worst day ever in terms of Covid in this country. This chart shows how big this current spike is. It is making the first surge and the summer surge look like molehills.

Attachment 16775
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

This is a very bad surge and more widespread than the NYC centric one in the spring. However it is probably better to look at hospitalization or death numbers to make that comparison than using a cases chart. There was so little testing in the spring/early summer that it's going to skew it.

8. Likes:

GAC (12-04-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-03-2020)

Even with yesterday's bump, the seven day average has still come down a touch from the peak. I think today's numbers are key to see if we are still surging or if we are easing just a bit. I'm afraid we're still surging, but I'm still hopeful (for 10 more hours at least!) that we're easing ever so slightly. The numbers are finally going the right way again for us here locally, so I'm certainly pleased by that. November was a tough, tough month in Sedgwick County, KS after a fantastic September and a really good October.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    This is a very bad surge and more widespread than the NYC centric one in the spring. However it is probably better to look at hospitalization or death numbers to make that comparison than using a cases chart. There was so little testing in the spring/early summer that it's going to skew it.
    Good points. Below is a chart of daily deaths.

However, while testing was sparse back in the spring, we now know so much more about how to avoid this virus, so cases shouldn’t be rising at all.

Attachment 16776
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Even with yesterday's bump, the seven day average has still come down a touch from the peak. I think today's numbers are key to see if we are still surging or if we are easing just a bit. I'm afraid we're still surging, but I'm still hopeful (for 10 more hours at least!) that we're easing ever so slightly. The numbers are finally going the right way again for us here locally, so I'm certainly pleased by that. November was a tough, tough month in Sedgwick County, KS after a fantastic September and a really good October.
    The 7 day average that included 4 days where almost no one got tested?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The 7 day average that included 4 days where almost no one got tested?
    Again, this is why I said today's numbers were the key to deciding which way we're trending.

And the numbers today don't look great.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 12-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    This virus is going to run it's course. Take precautions and do the best we can. We will survive this. But IMO, while one should wear a mask, it does lower risk, it's not simply the non-mask wearer's fault as to why transmissions are occuring. Studies show that almost 90% are wearing a mask when in public. I feel that issue has been used more to divide us.
    Pretty much. Bam.
    Last edited by Rojo; 12-03-2020 at 09:27 PM.

According to the NYT, I'm 268.7 millionth in line in the U.S. for the Covid vaccine. Which, by the way, is fine with me. I'm happy to take it. But I'm also happy to be last.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-timeline.html

According to the NYT, I'm 268.7 millionth in line in the U.S. for the Covid vaccine. Which, by the way, is fine with me. I'm happy to take it. But I'm also happy to be last.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-timeline.html

I'm very close.

Cheers Amigo!

I just want to get one in time to see the Blazers in the playoffs in person this season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I hope this isn't too political, but something I think we've lost as religion has fallen out of favor in this country (and kind of been perverted in many ways when it's held up) is that you can't seem to make an argument anymore that we owe our fellow man. We're supposed to be looking out for our friends, our family, our communities, and vaccination is a way to do that. I think, for all its faults, religion was a good way to pound that message into people. But even church going folks so often don't seem receptive to that argument now.
    While I do agree that our nation's moral compass is quite tarnished, I approach the subject of vaccination as a question of prudence- not a question of moral or religious duty. Is it wise to inject the substance in the syringe into our bodies? How do we know? The duty may come after we have answered these questions. Or maybe not.

18. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-04-2020),Falls City Beer (12-04-2020),Rojo (12-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    While I do agree that our nation's moral compass is quite tarnished, I approach the subject of vaccination as a question of prudence- not a question of moral or religious duty. Is it wise to inject the substance in the syringe into our bodies? How do we know? The duty may come after we have answered these questions. Or maybe not.
    The idea that you're "anti-vaxxz' is silly if