Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/20 Minor League Scores

5/20 Minor League Scores

Five games today.

Louisville has a third of their lineup as former Reds. Jose Barrero makes his season debut as the Bats' SS. Nick Senzel continues his rehab assignment, and Mike Minor takes the reins as the starting pitcher. They're in Nashville against the Sounds. Game starts at 7:35. Last night, the Bats won, 3-1. Aristides Aquino had the big hit of the night (and two hits). JT Riddle also had multiple hits. Randy Wynne pitched well, giving up a single run over six innings.

Chattanooga plays at Tennessee. The Lookouts took it on the chin, 9-5. Mike Siani had a couple of hits, TJ Hopkins, perhaps breaking out of a two-week slump, had three hits. Quincy McAfee also had a couple of base knocks. The pitching was less than stellar. Andrew Abbott had the worst line of his professional career, giving up 3 ER in 4 innings. 1 K in those innings.

Dayton managed to get one of two scheduled games in and prevailed in it, 6-5. Allan Cerda smacked his 6th round tripper of the season and a single. Bryce Bonnin struggled a bit, giving up 2 in 3 IP. They play two tonight, with Thomas Farr in one and Conner Phillips in the other. Games begin in about an hour.

Daytona brought out the big lumber and whooped up on the Blue Jays of Dunedin, 10-6. 10 hits for the Tugas, but only Wifred Astudillo had two. Braylin Minier, continuing his good play since being promoted, hit his second HR. Fidel Castro was promoted today, fwiw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5/20 Minor League Scores

Dayton wins Game One, 7-1. Alex McGarry went a perfect 3-3 with his 9th 2B. He's hitting .340 on the season and his OPS is a tidy 1.184. Farr pitched well-- 4 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 1 ER, 5 K. Torres had a couple of hits, including his 7th HR of the season. Looks like that kid's for real-- might want to make some plans there.

4. Likes:

Rick Palmer (05-21-2022)

Senzel looks not to be playing, Barrero 0-3 with 2 ks, Minor goes 4 2/3 with 4 ER on 9 hits.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/bats-vs...b=,game=665485
    Last edited by klw; 05-20-2022 at 09:26 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Chattanooga wins, 4-2. Only three hits for the Lookouts. They were paced by James Free's 1st HR. Eduardo Salazar got the W with 6 innings of solid pitching. 1 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 K.

Daytona got shut out, losing 4-0. 3 hits on the night. Chase Petty have up one earned in 3 innings. Daniel Vellojin had a hit and a walk.

Bleh.

Connor Phillips, folks
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

Eric in IL (05-21-2022),HokieRed (05-21-2022),Mitri (05-21-2022),Old school 1983 (05-21-2022),Rick Palmer (05-21-2022),Tom Servo (05-20-2022)

Phillips’ last 2 starts:

12 IP, 22K, 1 BB, 1 ER, 7H

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-21-2022),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2022),Rick Palmer (05-21-2022),Tuff Nut (05-21-2022)

Thomas Farr short stocky build drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 5th round of the 2021 MLB June Amateur Draft. FB was at 93 -96. Good command. Threw mostly FBs.

Torres HR was off a high FB.

Connor Phillips FB was at 96-98. Very nice 12-6 breaking ball. A ball hitters just look at his breaking ball.

In AAA, the only guy who's interesting at all is Graham Ashcraft. The entire staff beyond him looks to be fungible. That said, there are some intriguing possibilties as it relates to starting pitching development on the farm.

Dayton's starting staff has four guys-- Bonnin, Roa, Proctor, and Phillips-- who could argue they all belong in AA, even after Abbott was moved up.

In order, who do you believe should get promoted?

In AA, right now, they're starting Spiers, Williamson, Abbott, Curlis, and Salazar. If Williamson and Spiers continue to pitch relatively well and (most importantly) stay healthy, I'd be fine with a promotion of those two to Louisville around the All-Star break, with Bonnin and Roa taking their spots. (Both are older college pitchers with a couple of seasons of professional ball under their belts and a solid assortment of pitches. Abbott might make this duet a trio if he dominates similarly to what he did in High A.) Both Salazar and Curlis are relief prospects, IMO (though Salazar might convince me otherwise with some stronger showings).

That'd mean the Dayton staff could move to AA, just about the same time the Futures Game and the All-Star Games start showing up-- and the draft brings a whole 'nother round of pitchers into the Red system. Dayton would have their pick of an assortment of Daytona starters-- Javier Rivera, Julian Aguiar, Hunter Park, Sam Bencschoter, and some younger guys have all pitched relatively well and have solid enough peripherals-- and draftees to pick through to create a starting staff.

Long story short, given health, the Reds should almost assuredly see Ashcraft in the rotation this season.

Next year, likely mid-season, they'll have Abbott, Williamson, and/or Spiers as starter options. All three could provide depth before then, though 40-man roster options may complicate that. In any event, it's nice to have young talent available early in 2023. Greeene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft (assuming health) should all be in that rotation. Dunn, I assume, will be as well. (Again, assuming health.) Maybe the fifth spot goes to Antone. Maybe they sign a fifth guy as a veteran innings eater. Maybe they wait for a great offer on Mahle or Castillo. Maybe Overton proves he's a BOR guy who can be depended on. Whatever they decide, they should have enough cheap options as to be both decent and allow the Reds to use their excess payflex on real free agent help (in the pen or offensively), plus have some depth at the AAA level or in the bullpen. By mid-season 2023, the pitching staff should be stacked.

With health and development, that'd mean Bonnin, Roa, Boyle, and Phillips are all available either for cups of coffee in late 2023 or as legitimate options in early 2024. (Boyle in particular may end up a bullpen arm before that, as he has that experience and is an older guy, which corresponds nicely to both attrition levels and the pitchers in front of him.) They could then move to the bullpen or be kept in AAA in reserve.

What's interesting about that is that it corresponds with what they have offensively a bit. Cedrola looks like a nominally interesting fourth OF option in AAA. He's the Ashcraft of the offensive side of the ball, though not nearly as interesting.

Beyond that, in AA, McLain and Siani should be ready for real playing time somewhere in that 2023 season. (McLain may well get a cup of coffee this season.) Jose Torres and Elly De La Cruz in 2024. I'm not counting wildcards like Alex McGarry, TJ Hopkins, Rece Hinds, or Allan Cerda as possibilities, as IMO, they're pretty fungible guys-- nice to have, certainly, but not someone you plan around.

In short, we saw some young talent last year (India, Santillan, Stephenson, Gutierrez), are currently seeing some this year (Greene, Lodolo, Alexis Diaz, likely Ashcraft), and should see quite a bit in the future. Which year are you most excited about? Where am I wrong in relation to development, seasoning, and Red debuts? Who did I leave off that should be added?

Hunter Greene
    Nick Lodolo
    Alexis Diaz
    Graham Ashcraft
    Lorenzo Cedrola

Matt McLain
    Carson Spiers
    Brandon Williamson
    Andrew Abbott
    Mike Siani

Elly De La Cruz
    Jose Torres
    Joe Boyle
    Connor Phillips
    Christian Roa
    Bryce Bonnin

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-21-2022),Rick Palmer (05-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Phillips’ last 2 starts:

12 IP, 22K, 1 BB, 1 ER, 7H
    Last 4 starts 22 IP, 4 BB, 39 K, 4 ER, 12 H

His breaking stuff looks unhittable at the A+ level. I'm getting some Josh Beckett vibes with the 96+ high heat and cartoon breaking balls from the same arm slot. He's giving up fewer H/9 and striking out more batters than Abbott(who is 2 years older) so far in Dayton. If the BB are under control he'll be a fast mover IMO.

As far as the ETA's go I could see Williamson making starts for the Reds after the trade deadline this year. He's 24 and pitched nearly 100 innings last year so he should be able to hit 120+ this year.
    Last edited by JCM11; 05-21-2022 at 10:37 AM.

16. Likes:

icehole3 (05-21-2022),Old school 1983 (05-21-2022),Rick Palmer (05-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Hunter Greene
    Nick Lodolo
    Alexis Diaz
    Graham Ashcraf
    Lorenzo Cedrola

Matt McLain
    Carson Spiers
    Brandon Williamson
    Andrew Abbott
    Mike Siani

Elly De La Cruz
    Jose Torres
    Joe Boyle
    Connor Phillips
    Christian Roa
    Bryce Bonnin
    I’d love to see Callihan move into the 2024 group. I still predict he’ll wind up as Votto’s replacement at 1B in ‘24. Depends on how his power develops, I suppose. I also think we’ll see one of Vellojin or Nelson emerge as a potential regular that season as well.

The hope is they’ll add guys to the ‘22/‘23 list with trades in the coming weeks. A starting OF and some lights-out bullpen arms are on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I’d love to see Callihan move into the 2024 group. I still predict he’ll wind up as Votto’s replacement at 1B in ‘24. Depends on how his power develops, I suppose. I also think we’ll see one of Vellojin or Nelson emerge as a potential regular that season as well.

The hope is they’ll add guys to the ‘22/‘23 list with trades in the coming weeks. A starting OF and some lights-out bullpen arms are on my wishlist.
    I'm hopeful they add something akin to those already discussed in this thread-- for the most part, we're talking about starters with real value. (Cedrola and perhaphs Siani, notsomuch.)

I'm interested in the takes here: Would you rather Krall and company deal Castillo, Mahle, Pham, Naquin, et al., for upside picks that are down the ladder (ie, ACL Arizona/ Daytona/ maybe Dayton) or for perceived but possible overlooked value from AA/ AAA/ MLB?

Is Castillo's return different than, say Mahle's? Pham's? Naquin's?

For Castillo I would target one near MLB ready stud OF and one stud SP prospect. The SP could be A+ or below for the right upside. If top 10 guys like Moreno(Blue Jays) and Alvarez(Mets) are in play then I would come off the OF target. For Mahle I would target a 1 for 1 deal with a top 50'ish prospect or maybe a high upside post prospect like Adell. My take on the 2023 free agents to be is to get what we can.

I’d try to get Kelenic from the M’s
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-21-2022),Old school 1983 (05-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm hopeful they add something akin to those already discussed in this thread-- for the most part, we're talking about starters with real value. (Cedrola and perhaphs Siani, notsomuch.)

I'm interested in the takes here: Would you rather Krall and company deal Castillo, Mahle, Pham, Naquin, et al., for upside picks that are down the ladder (ie, ACL Arizona/ Daytona/ maybe Dayton) or for perceived but possible overlooked value from AA/ AAA/ MLB?

Is Castillo's return different than, say Mahle's? Pham's? Naquin's?
    They should clear the decks for the youngsters.

23. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-21-2022)

Turn Off Ads?