Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Jay Bruce will not save this team. But a little bit of sunshine in the midst of this godforsaken season will be sunshine enough for a bit.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Jay Bruce will not save this team. But a little bit of sunshine in the midst of this godforsaken season will be sunshine enough for a bit.
    Jay won't save it; Dusty won't sink it.

Either way, neither one will be liked very much unless they are *absolutely, impregnably, unassailably perfect.*

That you can count on. Welcome to the Dark Ages, Jay.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I week and a half ago my boss received 4 free tickets to tonight's game and asked me to go with her. And whaddya know, it's Jay Bruce's debut!!!

The perfect script for tomorrow night would be two home run's from The Kid and a homer from the new kid on the block in his first at bat . Asking for a bit much, I know. But one can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Jay won't save it; Dusty won't sink it.

Either way, neither one will be liked very much unless they are *absolutely, impregnably, unassailably perfect.*

That you can count on. Welcome to the Dark Ages, Jay.
    There's no doubt that Dusty has turned into something of a scapegoat for a team that has a lot of problems. But a lot of his decisions at this point are unquestionably indefensible. Unreasonable expectations don't help see this team in an accurate light, but nor does refusing to admit where he has really damaged this team.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Great to see Jocketty moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    There's no doubt that Dusty has turned into something of a scapegoat for a team that has a lot of problems. But a lot of his decisions at this point are unquestionably indefensible. Unreasonable expectations don't help see this team in an accurate light, but nor does refusing to admit where he has really damaged this team.
    I don't see where he's "damaged" the team. I can count the number of questionable decisions he's made so far on one hand.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't see where he's "damaged" the team. I can count the number of questionable decisions he's made so far on one hand.
    Is that one hand gripping a calculator?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Is that one hand gripping a calculator?

No. Aspirin.

Forgive me for my skepticism, but I think Bruce will only be starting about 4 days a week. Expect a lot of Freel at 3B when Bruce does start as Dusty will want to have both a leadoff guy and a #2 hitter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I really hope they play him everyday. You will never know how good he can be if he doesn't. I don't care who they drop to bring him up. Just as long as he plays everyday.
    Congrats to Bruce on making the big time! Here's to a great career!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Forgive me for my skepticism, but I think Bruce will only be starting about 4 days a week. Expect a lot of Freel at 3B when Bruce does start as Dusty will want to have both a leadoff guy and a #2 hitter.
    Well, your skepticism also said Bruce wouldn't be up, either, so....

I'll take Jocketty at his word when he said he'd be an everyday player when he was brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Maybe the Reds can bring back the vaunted "hit out of order" strategy, so that Bruce can hit 1-9

About time.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    About time.
    In a lost season, protecting Bruce's Super Two status is the way to go. You'll be praising their restraint in a year or two.

Nope. Will not.

Nothing was "lost" about this season at the beginning. Heck, it's not lost now. I simply refuse to accept that foisting horrible baseball on the team and fanbase to save a few dollars and hold back a guy that was clearly ready to help this team be better than it has been was worth it. I just don't.

This whole things hasn't been about money. Jock made a good point on that, as they have carried Cueto all year, not worrying about his "Super 2" status. No, this has been about inflicting Corey Patterson on the fan base. It has been about bending over backward to preserve Jr.'s feelings as he ruins this team in RF. It has been about watching plentiful at-bats wasted in the 1st and 3rd spots in the line-up, and balls go falling gently into RF in front of the statue that is Jr., for reasons that have nothing to do with money, and everything to do with prolonged horrible baseball judgement and deference to guys that the manager is familiar with and respects.

No more, no less.

So, yeah, "about time". And then some.

I don't expect Bruce to "save" this team or this season, I simply expect him to be a marked improvement over the absolute dreck that has been passed off as major league caliber and has held him in AAA against all logic and reason for two months.

Turn Off Ads?